Another Magic Review

broyles60

My husband and I just got home yesterday from our cruise on the Magic. We were offered an upgrade to a spa balcony cabin 12011 for $100 total the week before the cruise and gladly accepted.

ROOM: Great room, great location. Our room steward was named Anha and she was fantastic. She wrote Happy Birthday on our mirror one night for my husband and left wine and spa coupons. The room was immaculate and we always had towel animals. That being said, our toilet would not flush/drain intermittently the first three days of the cruise. A little inconvenient but they fixed it after day 3. Our bed was not good. It was two twin beds pushed together which I think is customary but the bed on the right was severely angled toward the ground which encouraged you to roll out of it when sleeping. Yes, there is no roof over the balcony but it had a very open feel and we liked it.

MEARS TRANSFERS: A quick note here...not impressed. This is Carnival's transfer service. We waited 1-1/2 hours for our transfer and barely made the ship. Literally they were hurrying us through check-in and we had to go straight to muster when we finally got on the ship. The driver apologized for the delay and had to speed to get us there on time. Both the Valor, I believe, and the Magic cruise out of Port Canaveral but they would not combine our groups. We sat and watched two Valor buses come and go while waiting on our bus which had obviously been delayed.

SPA: We enjoyed the spa thalassotherapy pool and heated tile loungers. Go on a port day to enjoy the spa to yourself. (Almost)

GYM: We used the elliptical and recumbent bikes and they were in great condition.

FOOD: As I may have mentioned elsewhere, the food quality has declined. I remember the days when there would be several dining room options that intrigued me and whatever I selected tasted fantastic. Not so much now.

The crew at Guy's try to force plain cheeseburgers on everyone but all the menu specialty burgers are available even if they act annoyed with you.

As a pancake/waffle/French toast lover, I was disappointed these options have been removed from the Lido buffet. The buffet food in general, while passable, has fewer selections and most of the food is luke warm. I did; however, enjoy many desserts from the buffet and thought they were quite tasty. Chocolate truffle cake, key lime cheesecake, regular cheesecake, all very good. The chocolate chip cookies are always delicious.

We are willing to pay for better options and did on several occasions. Steak house was awesome. We got filets with the spice rub and they were cooked perfectly. The room itself; however, was tight and very red. We had conversations with both tables for 2 on either side of us because of how small the room is and how close the tables are to each other. We also sampled the chicken tenders and pizza from room service and they were quite good and we also went to the Italian restaurant and enjoyed it as well.

PORTS: Amber Cove was a fun port. We rented a hillside cabana and if I can figure out how to upload photos, I will. It was fantastic! There was air conditioning, a fan, water misters, 2 loungers, and a jacuzzi for two. The cabana overlooked the pool area and the beautiful mountainside. Rentals come with unlimited zip lining although we did not partake. One word of warning though....there are lots of steps and a steep incline to get to your cabana. It was 90+ degrees with high humidity and an increase in altitude so you can get winded fast especially if you're dehydrated.

We had visited San Juan before so we booked through resort for a day and purchased a Marriot Stelaris day pass. It was ok although the pictures on line make it seem a little nicer. Never did find the 3rd pool. It rained a lot which made going in the ocean a little dicey. So we didn't and instead bought rum runners at the Oceanside restaurant. Very strong drinks but at $15/piece that's kind of what I would expect. We did receive $40 worth of food/drink coupons with our day rate.

Grand Turk used to be one of my favorite ports but that was before I cruised in August with two ships docked at the same time. There were people everywhere. The water seemed particularly cloudy (from people or rain) I don't know and so it was easy to hurt your feet on rocks etc. because you couldn't see the bottom. Maybe we should have traveled to the remote side of the island as I hear Kylie Jenner and her posse were there at the same time. So kidding...

In St Thomas we shopped and I purchased some unique Larimar jewelry.

SHOWS: Uninspired, mediocre, low budget. End of story.

GENERAL: My husband won Bingo and we hit a lot of 4 of a kinds on the video poker machines. We also played in a slot tournament but personally I don't really understand the appeal. Everyone just slamming buttons for 5 minutes straight but we had always wanted to try it and we did. Dive in movies are a great time but geez Carnival could you add a little salt or butter to the popcorn. One guy literally took butter squares from the buffet and squeezed it on his. Another example of volume trumping taste because literally the popcorn was inedible. Can you say cardboard? We are gold, almost platinum, and received our water, pins, and free drink coupons. The coupons can be used after 5:00 on the last day of the cruise.

OVERALL: We really enjoy Carnival and overall think they are a great value for the money compared to what else is out there. The ship was very clean and crew were always spraying balconies, rinsing the decks, polishing banisters etc. Like many others, I miss the olden days when the food and shows were better but at this point they have not deteriorated to the point where I look elsewhere to vacation. I do wonder where the cutbacks will end though. I would definitely recommend the Magic to any fellow cruisers considering a cruise on her as I don't think they will be disappointed.

Thanks for the review.

I wondered... how much was the cabana?

We are a family of four with two kids, (15 & 12)

I am trying to decide if its worth it to book something rather then sludge around looking for the perfect spot.

The piece of mind that knowing we have something figured out is very appealing.

Thanks for the info

Chassity

As a pancake/waffle/French toast lover, I was disappointed these options have been removed from the Lido buffet

I'm just off the Magic as well and these items were all on the Lido breakfast buffet everyday :confused:

The French toast was pretty tasty and had raisins in it, pancakes were nasty and waffles were cut in half for some reason. We ate at the Lido breakfast buffet every day except and these items were always there.

I'm just off the Magic as well and these items were all on the Lido breakfast buffet everyday :confused:

The French toast was pretty tasty and had raisins in it, pancakes were nasty and waffles were cut in half for some reason. We ate at the Lido breakfast buffet every day except and these items were always there.

Seriously? How funny, I looked for them every day. Where were they? On the omelette station/pastry side or the cereal/fruit/breakfast meat side?

Thanks for the review.

I wondered... how much was the cabana?

We are a family of four with two kids, (15 & 12)

I am trying to decide if its worth it to book something rather then sludge around looking for the perfect spot.

The piece of mind that knowing we have something figured out is very appealing.

Thanks for the info

Chassity

Hi Chassity,

I believe the cabana was around $250....or thereabouts. We don't have any children but the people next to us had at least three and they seemed to enjoy it very much. The stairs/hill you climb to get to the cabana is right near the water slides and zip line so it is very convenient for those activities. Plus, you can lock up your stuff.

But, if you elect not to go that route, there are an abundance of chairs and your family should have no problem securing a spot.

Thanks for the review. 20 and counting for us.

Cheers and happy cruising.

Must be nice to be in Tampa and be so close to so many cruise ports. We cruised out of Tampa once on the Legend I believe for a New Year's cruise and I really enjoyed that port with all the bridges you pass under on your way out to the ocean.

Seriously? How funny, I looked for them every day. Where were they? On the omelette station/pastry side or the cereal/fruit/breakfast meat side?

That is funny that you probably walked right by them every day. They were on either side of the omelette stations, right near the scrambled eggs and bacon/sausage.

Do you know why the main pool was closed for a few hours the first sea day? I figured either someone pooped or threw up in it?

Great review!! I was wondering what shuttle you used going back to the airport. We were planning on using meats but now not sure?? Also, I was curious about the seating in the steakhouse. I hate those tables for 2 that are 4 inches apart. Is that all they have there for 2 people?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great review!! I was wondering what shuttle you used going back to the airport. We were planning on using meats but now not sure?? Also, I was curious about the seating in the steakhouse. I hate those tables for 2 that are 4 inches apart. Is that all they have there for 2 people?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry I meant Mears going back to airport.

I was on the same cruise. I had to ask where to find the waffles on the buffet, they were always located in the Aft of the buffet. My kids complained they were never hot so we tried to go to the MDR as often as we could for breakfast.

We had a poolside cabana in Amber Cove and loved it! It was perfect for our family. My kids loved the pool floats that were included.

The only cutback that we noticed were the evening chocolates that used to be left on the bed. My kids really missed that. Funny but I completely didn't notice but kids don't forget chocolate.

We enjoyed the Dive In movies and watched 3 of them. My son quickly figured out the popcorn needed salt so he had a salt shaker in hand before picking up our popcorn each night.

We loved the new BBQ on sea days. Everything was delicious.

We enjoyed the PG comedy shows. Wished there were more headline shows like ventriloquist or magicians.

We're also gold. I loved receiving the large bottles of water, which were larger than we received on our last sailing. Didn't mind that the drink coupons were restricted to the last sea day, it was a nice surprise as I wasn't expecting them.

Otherwise we had a wonderful cruise.

PS: we used America Luxury Transport to and from the Port. We prefer the SUVs for our family and luggage - we just fit more comfortably.

Edited by goofygal531