Gratuities

susan1957

The cruise lines created this mess by making the daily service charges mandatory. Until 20 or so years ago they were virtually non-existent. Some recommended amounts for waiters and stewards were suggested but nothing charged to your account.

Then someone came up with the bright idea of letting us charge the amounts to our account (as an option) and gave out slips of paper to hand to the crew. Eventually, the slips of paper disappeared. If they would have left it at that everything would have been fine.

Somewhere between then and today those tips became money for the cruise line and whether its all given to the crew or not is highly debatable. Then the cruise lines started saying the laundry staff needed to be tipped as well as other behind the scenes personnel and that's what the DSC really covers. Then bartenders needed a separate 18% as well as Specialty dining staff who were once in the waiter pool, but because the line say now they are not, we need to fork over more bucks.

As far as I'm concerned the daily service charge is all that's required. If I chose to give something extra, my choice, but no is going to try and shame me into thinking I owe the crew more. If you can afford to cruise great, if you want to pay extra tips great, but don't come here and tell me you are appalled some people think the DSC is all they need to tip.

Quite frankly, it appalls me that you think additional tips are required above what we already are forced to pay. I'd be glad to pay more than the DSC charge in cash to the people that wait on me but until NCL (or any other line for that matter) stops being the middle man that's never going to happen.

You actually aren't forced to pay dsc but I'm told Brits can't remove it

All crew gets paid and only steward and waiters deserve anything extra in the form of a token $20/$30 cash tip if so inclined

Realistically...a pax can remove the dsc and NOT give any extra cash and the crew is not getting any less in agreed compensation

The $20/$30 is their extra which I gladly give

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Really? Ok but I never read that in any Ncl documents so I can't conclude that but you can if you want

I'm going with the fairly well publicized fact that dsc removal will not hurt the crew

But back to your comment....even if inclined to give the ships dishwasher extra $$ how would I do that?

Go to guest services and increase my dsc by $10 and say I want it to go to the dishwasher xyz on duty Tuesday night in the mdr?

Really now...the only crew that deserves and usually gets extra $$ are the steward and waiters (no not when they work the buffet either only when they work the mdr) handed directly to them

All others are crew and get salary that they agreed to

It is really very simple. If you want to give a crew member more, just find out their name, go to guest services, fill out a form with the amount you want to give them and magically the crew member gets that amount.

They are paid a base salary, which is quite low, and the rest of their salary is derived from the DSC/gratuities. You could do a little research on the cruise job sites and see that they are paid a combination of salary and gratuities/DSC (from one site: Tipping personnel have a small base salary. Most of their earnings are tips.).

But you are not in a restaurant, you are on a cruise ship and a restaurant's business model is totally different than a cruise ship's business model.

You are drinking too much cool aide. Why is the business model different, because FDR says so, or CCL or Cunard? When I hear that NCL bar prices are about he same as in land based locations by many of you here on cruise critic it tells me the model is very much the same.

No one has proven that removing the DSC has no impact on the crew's salary. Some will say they have the facts, but they are taking the word of someone who wants that extra tip from them. Parents of crew members have come on here and said that removing the DSC impacts their income, so I think I would believe them over someone who intrudes on a crew member's personal business and asks them questions about their income

NCL management has intentionally muddied the waters on the gratuities by grabbing control of a fund that should be equitably distributed to the crew of the ship we sail.

Instead, they take the money and say they are distributing it "for the benefit of the crew fleetwide". They also have taken away the guests ability to adjust the amount on the ship and make guests wait weeks or months to get an adjustment. This, in itself makes proper accounting impossible and leaves NCL management in position to do anything they choose with these funds.

Logic belies any and all of the "tear jerker" comments that we see posted on these boards.

Having just returned from a sailing, I must say that I was shocked to see/hear how many people only rely on this daily service charge/prepaid gratituties fee and do not go out of their way to provide additional cash gratuities to a cabin steward or a restaurant waiter/maitre dmwho was especially helpful.

These folks work very hard at tough jobs for a nominal salary - if my few extra dollars to thank them for their hard work and attention can help make somebody's day brighter, Especially when they are on the ship 8 months straigh working 7 days a week, then I am all for doing that and hope others do as well.

AGREED! Not to mention, who tips less than 20% in the real world anyway? My motto at home is, if you can't afford to tip properly, don't go out to eat. I carry that same mentality with me when I travel! Unfortunately, on cruise lines as well as island resorts, across the board they're all paid peanuts.....grossly underpaid when you look at the amount and quality of work they do to keep thousands of people happy!

I think my kids should get $20 an hour when they babysit 4 kids from a family that includes a Down's syndrome and adhd kids

They still only get $15

Do you realize how hard they work?

How difficult a special needs family can be?

Oh and that's coming from me...their mother

Btw...the truth is the family is not all that difficult ...however I will tell you they are if it gets my kids more money lol...but 4 kids....$20 per hour. Period. Regardless of special needs or not

My kids are 21/22 that do this babysitting not 13

Sorry your kids have to work so hard to earn their money, but I don't understand what this has to do with the DSC on a cruise ship.

All crew gets paid and only steward and waiters deserve anything extra in the form of a token $20/$30 cash tip if so inclined

Realistically...a pax can remove the dsc and NOT give any extra cash and the crew is not getting any less in agreed compensation

I don't disagree with you, but for many years we paid the suggested amounts to the waiter and steward and would continue to do so if the lines didn't automatically add it in. Since its now harder on NCL to remove we just leave it and if the crew is getting stiffed by NCL not passing it ALL to them, its NCL doing the stiffing, not me

You are drinking too much cool aide. Why is the business model different, because FDR says so, or CCL or Cunard? When I hear that NCL bar prices are about he same as in land based locations by many of you here on cruise critic it tells me the model is very much the same.
You do realize that this business model has been around for many, many years, so I don't think Mr. Del Rio invented it.

In all my years of cruising, the bar prices on a cruise ship are much higher than those of land based bar locations, so I guess I don't understand who is saying that the are the same price.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Well the short answer is that you most certainly are not paying 18% for everything. The long answer is , well you are not in New Zealand, so you should try following the different customs. But of course you may not tip anybody 1 penny extra because they should live in New Zealand and adhere to your tipping rules.:mad: And it is not expected, simply a nice thing to do , as I stated.
Seriously! Agreed!

I think of the DSC as the equivalent to a resort fee. I pay it and I never use the beach chairs, health club or whatever ridiculous thing they say their for. I pay it and move on. It's the cost of doing business. These DSC threads have been going on for ages and no one has swayed the others mind. Can't we call just get along?

I think of the DSC as the equivalent to a resort fee. I pay it and I never use the beach chairs, health club or whatever ridiculous thing they say their for. I pay it and move on. It's the cost of doing business. These DSC threads have been going on for ages and no one has swayed the others mind. Can't we call just get along?

No it's swayed my mind because the crew gets the same regardless of my dsc

And now that I can remove it from home I'm considering doing so

I'll tip steward and mdr in cash but will not over tip just to show my guilt

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just for the record the Brits can still remove it. Our friends were on the Epic when it was in Barcelona during the winter and had it removed whilst on board. Then they payed crew members directly.

Personally I don't have any problem with it and just prepay with my final payment for the cruise.

NCL management has intentionally muddied the waters on the gratuities by grabbing control of a fund that should be equitably distributed to the crew of the ship we sail.

Instead, they take the money and say they are distributing it "for the benefit of the crew fleetwide". They also have taken away the guests ability to adjust the amount on the ship and make guests wait weeks or months to get an adjustment. This, in itself makes proper accounting impossible and leaves NCL management in position to do anything they choose with these funds.

Logic belies any and all of the "tear jerker" comments that we see posted on these boards.

Fleet wide? Are you saying a portion of the D.SC. Goes to people working on ships I am not even sailing on?

You do realize that this business model has been around for many, many years, so I don't think Mr. Del Rio invented it.

In all my years of cruising, the bar prices on a cruise ship are much higher than those of land based bar locations, so I guess I don't understand who is saying that the are the same price.

I'm not sure what you are arguing (if you are arguing) and I don't buy its a model that's different than any other land based business.

Take for example the poor underpaid NCL worker who if you do a little internet searching makes about $2,000 month or $24,000 annualized and compare that to anyone in the USA making minimum wage of $7.50. Multiply that out over 40 hours a week for the year and its $15,080 before social security, taxes, room and board.

Want to argue the poor NCL employee works 16 hour days double the minimum wage earner and subtract just social security and his net wages are less than $28,000 before any other basic expense that the shipboard worker gets for free.

So no matter how anyone wants to pour on the poor poor shipboard worker quilt trip, they are much better off than most workers in America picking fruit or sweeping floors in big hotels, restaurants, and McDonalds. Yet I never see anyone dropping an extra 20% to anyone at McDonalds or the local grocery store (I know not realistic but you get the point).

So the business model no matter who invented it is the same at sea as it is back home. As for prices, if you sit in a local bar, yeah, its cheaper than NCL, if you sit in a Hotel Lounge, very comparable to NCL

I realize there are two camps here, one just wanting to be fair to the people that are making for a great vacation and the other who "remember when" there were none of these back door charges and it appears the cruise lines are pocketing all if not most of the cash. As we old folks die off i suppose the NCLs of the world win out, but why. Just increase the prices to cover your costs and leave the tipping to the passengers willing and able to reward exceptional service.

Edited by bjlaac

I'm not sure what you are arguing (if you are arguing) and I don't buy its a model that's different than any other land based business.

Take for example the poor underpaid NCL worker who if you do a little internet searching makes about $2,000 month or $24,000 annualized and compare that to anyone in the USA making minimum wage of $7.50. Multiply that out over 40 hours a week for the year and its $15,080 before social security, taxes, room and board.

Want to argue the poor NCL employee works 16 hour days double the minimum wage earner and subtract just social security and his net wages are less than $28,000 before any other basic expense that the shipboard worker gets for free.

So no matter how anyone wants to pour on the poor poor shipboard worker quilt trip, they are much better off than most workers in America picking fruit or sweeping floors in big hotels, restaurants, and McDonalds. Yet I never see anyone dropping an extra 20% to anyone at McDonalds or the local grocery store (I know not realistic but you get the point).

So the business model no matter who invented it is the same at sea as it is back home. As for prices, if you sit in a local bar, yeah, its cheaper than NCL, if you sit in a Hotel Lounge, very comparable to NCL

I realize there are two camps here, one just wanting to be fair to the people that are making for a great vacation and the other who "remember when" there were none of these back door charges and it appears the cruise lines are pocketing all if not most of the cash. As we old folks die off i suppose the NCLs of the world win out, but why. Just increase the prices to cover your costs and leave the tipping to the passengers willing and able to reward exceptional service.

How many land based restaurants pay a large majority of their employees (which would includes more than the servers, busboys and bartenders) by combining tips? How many land based restaurants combine tips? How many land based restaurants do you know that add the tip automatically to the tab? Land based restaurants and cruise lines work under different business models.

Who is saying "the poor underpaid NCL worker", I sure haven't, as I feel that they are well compensated for the job they do. You seem to be very upset that these folks are working hard and being paid appropriately for their work. You never see anyone dropping a tip on McDonalds workers or grocery store workers, because that is not their business model, if it were you would see folks tipping them.

We were talking about the DSC and that is the business model the cruise lines choose to use and neither Mr. Del Rio or Mr. Sheehan invented it.

You do know that either way you and all the other passengers pay the crew's salaries? So why does it matter if they choose the DSC route or to include it in the fare, other than the way it is now, folks can remove or reduce it? I would like them to include it in the fare, but I understand the drawbacks, only because then those that don't pay it will be forced to.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm suspicious by nature, and I suspect it is merely to save money on the cruise, and that people do not "tip that much or more!" in cash. But I could be completely wrong. Just a suspicion.

Some people from some western cultures who have a history of domination and hegemony believe that their home culture of not tipping trumps any local custom. We used to hear the phrase "Ugly American" all the time, but I suspect the "Ugly" moniker fits these nationalistic types far better than the average American, who now tries to understand local cultures and follow the creed of "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."

I am an American and we tip! Anyone who does not leave a tip in a restaurant (unless the service was deliberately horrendous) is a complete low life. That is a given here. We tip our wait staff, bartenders, cab drivers, maitre d's, airport handlers, etc.

I

So no matter how anyone wants to pour on the poor poor shipboard worker quilt trip, they are much better off than most workers in America

If working 16 hour days waiting on entitled, snotty people is such a easy, highly rewarded job, perhaps you should try it for a week. :D:D

IMHO, no they are not giving large cash tips or tips at all. They are the same folks that didn't come to dinner the last night and avoided their Cabin Steward back in the olden days when we gave tips out in envelopes the last night of the cruise. They will say they tip large, but they can say anything, because no one would know.

Yikes, I remember those days. Many people were missing at dinner. So gross.

Please. Sell your socks so you can afford to purchase a clue.

Please. Seriously. We are begging you.

No it's swayed my mind because the crew gets the same regardless of my dsc

And now that I can remove it from home I'm considering doing so

I'll tip steward and mdr in cash but will not over tip just to show my guilt

Well good for you. [emoji849]

Well good for you. [emoji849]

Thank you and I'm glad you understand the philosophy of not throwing money at people just to show off

It reminds me of wannabes and pretenders that pull out bank rolls of cash and tip everyone within reach

Sort of like buying them off in order to get them to fake fawn all over you

Thank you and I'm glad you understand the philosophy of not throwing money at people just to show off

It reminds me of wannabes and pretenders that pull out bank rolls of cash and tip everyone within reach

Sort of like buying them off in order to get them to fake fawn all over you

I agree with you on one thing, I hate the guy who goes to the buffet the first day and gives out tips while slapping them on the back saying there is more where this comes from if you take good care of us.

But wouldn't tipping the steward and mdr in cash pretty much be the same scenario as the guy pulling out the bank roll. Call me confused on this one.

As far as the DSC, since no one knows if you paid it or not, no one is really showing off, are they?

I agree with you on one thing, I hate the guy who goes to the buffet the first day and gives out tips while slapping them on the back saying there is more where this comes from if you take good care of us.

But wouldn't tipping the steward and mdr in cash pretty much be the same scenario as the guy pulling out the bank roll. Call me confused on this one.

As far as the DSC, since no one knows if you paid it or not, no one is really showing off, are they?

IMHO when talking about cash tips I'm thinking $5 per night per table not per person and $20/$30 to the steward at weeks end

What I'm against is the tipping of the steward beginning middle and end of cruise and tipping in excess maybe $100 or more per standard cabin for 7 days

I give my mail carrier $20 at Christmas. Done. So does everyone else so he does well

I no longer tip the sanitation workers because we are totally automated on my block and there is one guy driving the truck and he presses a button and the arm swings out

No tip because I'm doing all the work now. The old days they came into the yard etc etc. they were tipped $10 per man per truck So did others I'm told. It adds up

Steward $20 or so from me plus same from other cabins. Adds up. No need to over tip

Edited by Crusin6

If working 16 hour days waiting on entitled, snotty people is such a easy, highly rewarded job, perhaps you should try it for a week. :D:D

I'm a frequent cruiser but am not...

Entitled or snotty so I take offense to your blanket statement but I'm thick skinned so no big deal

I am....not a kool aid drinker though nor do I feel sorry for people who voluntarily sign a contract to work on a ship

I only tip steward extra at end of cruise and will continue to do so because I'm fairly certain I'll get great service

I only pay 18% on the drinks I buy as I dont take ubp

I don't care for the specialties but may go back to cagneys or le bistro next cruise and pay out of pocket.

Up to this point I have never removed dsc but am considering it next cruise and if I do I will leave $5 per night per table for the waiter if I get great timely service If it's not then I leave zero and will know his wages are not reduced regardless of my keeping or removing dsc