Water taxi in St. Maarten accessible?

auntjoy036

I've read about a water taxi that runs from the pier in St. Maarten to a commercial area. Mom can walk short distances, but uses a collapsible, manual wheelchair for long walks. Do any of you know whether we would be allowed to bring her collapsed wheelchair onto the water taxi assuming Mom could step onboard herself?

Thanks.

Vicki

St. Maarten water taxis from the cruise dock to Philipsburg do not have roll-on capabilities as there are multiple steps down into the boat. If your mother can walk down/up multiple steps a collapsible wheelchair will be allowed.

Refer to this link http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/st-maarten-disabled-access

Edited by xxoocruiser

Apparently we had much better luck than Pat. We were able to roll up to the boat and the helpers put both our scooters on the water taxi and assisted my companion in and out of the boat. However, the sidewalk from the port is an easy walk or push into town. Most of the store walkways are accessible, but one has to pay attention. They are far from perfect.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Apparently we had much better luck than Pat. We were able to roll up to the boat and the helpers put both our scooters on the water taxi and assisted my companion in and out of the boat. However, the sidewalk from the port is an easy walk or push into town. Most of the store walkways are accessible, but one has to pay attention. They are far from perfect.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Hi Betty !

As we both know from experience it also depends how much the water taxi crew wants to exert themselves. Also think it depends on whether the water taxi is full or not .

Thank you both for sharing your experience. Thanks too for the helpful link. This cruise itself is a splurge (aren't they all), an "extra" vacation compared to my family's normal pattern. I am hoping to keep the cost down on port days, thought maybe we could do a little trinket browsing instead of a tour. But the main thing is to keep Mom safe and comfortable. I'm still weighing the options.

Thanks again for your help. Best wishes.

Vicki

St. Maarten water taxis from the cruise dock to Philipsburg do not have roll-on capabilities as there are multiple steps down into the boat. If your mother can walk down/up multiple steps a collapsible wheelchair will be allowed.

Refer to this link http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/st-maarten-disabled-access

This is not entirely true. I used my mobility scooter to roll on a ramp from the cruise pier to the large water taxi that goes into the middle of town. On the smaller water taxis that go to the dock at the far right of town, it depends if they will assist or not as there is not a ramp. Once they did and last time they would only allow me to use the ramp on the larger water taxi. This was in June 2016.

Dudette and I have used the water taxi at St. Maarten many times with her folding wheelchair. The crews are extremely helpful and there are some of the boats more accessible friendly then others....I don't think the OP will have a problem but if they do, another boat will be along in a few minutes.