Food Photo Comparison Old MDR Menus Vs. American Table/Feast Menus

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the American Table & American Feast dining room menus versus the old style main dining room menus.

I put together a side by side comparison of similar dishes from the old menus and from the American Table / Feast dining concept. On some dishes, Carnival kept the item's name the same, but changed the side items or way the plate was arranged.

Here is the comparison: http://www.embarkandaway.com/general-cruise-blog/comparing-carnival-cruises-new-and-old-dining-room-menus

It is on my personal cruise blog that is only a hobby. Pictures should appear side by side. My comparison only includes a few dishes that were served on both the old & new menus (and of ones I have pictures of).

Side Note: I felt the American Table/Feast menus had good food and selection, but I still miss the old menus that Carnival had.

Interesting. I haven't got to try the American Table yet and really not looking forward to it. I will be on the Magic for Christmas and I think they have it. The presentation is really different and the American Table next to the traditional menu really doesn't look very good. I'm sure I will adapt but the traditional menu does look so much more appealing. Thanks for the side by side pictures. Now I know what to expect.

Interesting. I haven't got to try the American Table yet and really not looking forward to it. I will be on the Magic for Christmas and I think they have it. The presentation is really different and the American Table next to the traditional menu really doesn't look very good. I'm sure I will adapt but the traditional menu does look so much more appealing. Thanks for the side by side pictures. Now I know what to expect.

Weird. I thought in almost all of these cases the AT menu side looked better (the exception was sweet and sour shrimp). The lighting is weird on the prime rib and neither prime rib looks good (I don't think it's one of Carnival's best tasting dishes either in my experience, but that's only with the old menu since due to that never ordered it on AT). But I think the salad presentations especially are much better on AT side and the rest looks slightly better there. Smaller, but that is fine with me. Then I can actually get dessert!

Weird. I thought in almost all of these cases the AT menu side looked better (the exception was sweet and sour shrimp). The lighting is weird on the prime rib and neither prime rib looks good (I don't think it's one of Carnival's best tasting dishes either in my experience, but that's only with the old menu since due to that never ordered it on AT). But I think the salad presentations especially are much better on AT side and the rest looks slightly better there. Smaller, but that is fine with me. Then I can actually get dessert!

I agree.

Part of the issue as I see it as well is that dishes don't always look the same even when comparing old menu to old menu and new menu to new menu.

On the old menu, my shrimp with rice and noodles looked nothing like the one the OP shows. On our 14 night cruise my dad ordered the banana split probably 10 different nights and surprise, surprise, they were a bit different just about every single night.

For the AT menus, I like that many of the side items are served on the side in small dishes. I don't necessarily want the sauce or I don't want gravy mixing into my vegetables.

The American Table would be more palatable if Carnival had not done away with the table cloths and service plates. Say what you will, but presentation really is everything.

I find it the opposite. With the outdated table cloths and old style charger plates, to me - everything looks dated and less appetizing. Like I'm eating at my great grandmothers house and pretending it's fancy.

The new style tables and table settings look fresh, modern and clean to me. I like it better this way.

Thank you for the side by side. We will be on the Conquest in November and it will be our first time with the American Table menu. We are actually looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bcberri

I find it the opposite. With the outdated table cloths and old style charger plates, to me - everything looks dated and less appetizing. Like I'm eating at my great grandmothers house and pretending it's fancy.

The new style tables and table settings look fresh, modern and clean to me. I like it better this way.

Absolutely! The old menu and place settings reminded me of eating at someone's 1990s wedding. So outdated.

The new style is modern and upscale. We loved the dining room food so much on our Pride cruise that we cancelled our steakhouse reservation!