Bermuda - Our 3 Days - Breakaway 8/7-14

tantine

We were on the Breakaway 8/7-14 for our second time on this same itinerary. We love Bermuda!! Here is how we broke out our three days - hopefully it will help some of you planning your trip...

Day 1 - We did a day pass at Coco Reef Resort on Elbow Beach.

Taxi is approx. $43 each way. Day pass is $69 for adults and includes lunch and a glass of wine or soft drink. Kids are free but you pay for their lunch.

We have done this a couple of times before and love it here. You receive towels and your lunch ticket when you check in.

Walk past the pool area and down a bunch of stairs to get to the beach. There are lounge chairs and umbrellas. If it is windy, make sure your umbrella is anchored well - we saw a few fly away.

Beach is perfect. Water was very wavy and we had a great time.Lunch was good. It took a very long time and the kids had eaten their meals before ours were delivered but it worked out fine. They went to swim in the pool and we could watch them from our table up above. Warning about sunscreen - It was very cloudy all morning. My son didn't put on sunscreen and learned the hard way that sunscreen is a must even on cloudy days.

There is a bus that goes there but drops you off on the main road and you have to walk up the hill to the hotel.

Day 2 Horseshoe Beach

Taxi is about $35 each way and drops you at the bottom of the hill. You can take the shuttle from Dockyard to Horseshoe for $7 per person. We learned from our taxi driver, that there is no more shuttle taking passengers from the beach to the main road(used to be $2 I think). He said they stopped running it this year.

This beach is always amazing. Because of the wind (which was much less than the day before), they were not renting umbrellas which makes it much hotter.

Cost to rent two chairs was $40. In hindsight we should have skipped the chairs. Without the umbrellas, we couldn't sit for too long. We spent a lot of time in the water and exploring the coves which are beautiful.

Also, a note about the chairs, when the people next to us left, they gave us their chair so one of our kids could use it. The guy from the rental place came over in seconds and took it away. We couldn't use it unless we paid to rent that one too. We saw this happen a few times around us.

We ate lunch at the snack bar (burgers, chicken fingers, etc). Lunch for the 4 of us was about $40.

On the way back to get a taxi, my daughter had her hair braided. It was $20 for the one side of her head. The ladies were very nice and very quick.

Day 3 Fishing Trip with Jolly Roger Bermuda. I booked it with Barbara via email and paid when we got there which was convenient. If the wind had kept up I would have cancelled Friday morning. The tour is from 9-1 so it is perfect for the last day when all aboard is at 2:30. The boat is docked right by the ferries so very close to the ship. It is a 20 minute boat ride about 3 hours of fishing and 20-30 min back. Fishing time was a little less for us because we were not catching anything so they moved to a different spot a couple of times. The kids each caught a couple which made them happy so the trip was good. It was $99 for adults (and kids 12 and over) and $69 for kids.

As in our other experiences in Bermuda, we were impressed by the beauty and ease of the island. Hop in a cab, bus or ferry and you can go anywhere. The taxi drivers that we experienced were all pleasant, informative and safe. One our first day our taxi driver stopped at the Sno Cone stand across from the Horseshoe Beach bus stop and bought us sno cones which we thought was so nice!

Another great time in Bermuda - I hope this helps some in their planning!