Oasis of the sea vs ncl getaway - family with small kids

CALYMO

My husband and I are trying to decide between two ships for our March 2017 trip...and of course we don't agree :) Both the NCL Getaway and Oasis of the sea have a western itinerary which is what we are looking to try this winter.

I am looking for advice / opinions on which one might be better for a family of four. Two children 7 and 9 who really haven't enjoyed spending too much time in the kids clubs away from us they would rather do things all together. Which is totally fine for hubby and I as we know those days are bound to change in the near future

We have sailed two times on the Disney Fantasy and one time on NCL Escape all eastern . We enjoyed both each having its pros and cons but would consider both of them again for sure !

I just cant seem to pick between these two ships!!

We are leaving on Oasis tomorrow (YAY!), so I cannot speak directly about that particular ship yet. But, we have been on the Getaway with our then 8 and (almost) 4 year old. My husband and I agreed that we did not feel NCL was as family-oriented as RCCL. I've heard great things about NCL's kid program, but like yours, our kids do not tend to take advantage of the kids clubs. We saw very few children on the Getaway (we went in May), particularly in the evenings. My husband even commented that he felt out of place with the kids in some (non-adult exclusive) venues, whereas we have never felt like that on Royal. We enjoyed some aspects of NCL (especially because we had been upgraded to The Haven), but agreed if we sailed them again it would be as a couple without the kids. We went on Freedom by ourselves and kept pointing out things the kids would have enjoyed, so I know they'll love Oasis.

I have no experience with Oasis but I have been on the Getaway twice with a 10 year old who hates the kid clubs. The Getaway has been his favorite ship of all (including Disney).

The family pool on the Getaway is not bad at all, ironically it's the adult pool that is noisy. The family pool was fairly quiet. The slides are fun. The upper deck with the ropes course, mini golf, spider climb, trampoline, and basketball are all super fun. The arcade has a mini bowling and pool, darts and games (that area for an extra fee). The shows were good though did not impress him much. The magic show dinner was amazing and great for kids. There is a ton of food options which he loved.

The Getaway is a gorgeous ship with plenty to do for kids who hate the kids club. The staff are wonderful (especially Isaac the rooster guy).

I imagine the Oasis is just as good though so I'd say pick whatever suits you best or is cheaper.

We have an 8 year old daughter. The ONLY edge I would give the Getaway would be the kids camp. Much better than RCL but that's where it ended. Pool deck is too chopped up. IMPOSSIBLE to get near the main pool because everyone sets their chairs in the shallow part surrounding it and the family can't enjoy it because kids aren't permitted. The kids pools are on the opposite side of the deck.