Cirque du Soleil returns to Constellation & Summit

Host Karen

I read in a report today that Cirque du Soleil will be performing a 30-minute, 3-act acrobatic show twice a week on Constellation beginning this week and on Summit beginning November 20. That sounds much closer to the usual CdS shows, although much shorter and without that great band. The show, which will be called "A Taste of Cirque du Soleil," will be held in the main theater, but X isn't removing the Bar at the Edge of the Earth. That will be a disappointment to many who miss the views from that observation area.

This is great news to those of us who had hoped for this type of show ever since X announced its partnership with CdS. I can't imagine how crowded the shows will be, but we'll certainly be on line early! I suppose if we miss it on Connie next month, we can try again on Summit in March. :)

I read in a report today that Cirque du Soleil will be performing a 30-minute, 3-act acrobatic show twice a week on Constellation beginning this week and on Summit beginning November 20.

Wonderful news... we're on Summit at that time.

We were on the Constellation - northern Europe cruise in May. The cruise was wonderful and ship is beautiful but we were disappointed with the CdS show in the bar at the edge of the earth.

I guess our expectations were for a CdS show, but it was mainly just very slow motion performers in costumes wandering around the bar and giving the customers the willies. There were some interesting illusions with lighting, sometimes weren't sure if seeing a real performer through the gauze curtains on the dance floor or an electronic version. The show wasn't very well attended after the first night, and we only went twice during the two weeks.

One thing I have to say for Celebrity is that if something isn't working they yank it or make changes. This is probably the reason for the change.

I hope anybody that goes on the Connie in the next few weeks will post a report here. I'm anxious to hear people's responses. I'll be on Connie in March.

We will be on Summit after CDS is back on. I will definitely give a report about it. :)

Just off the Constellation cruise 10/29-a couple named Dominique & Clarisse performed 3 times onboard as part of shows presented in Celebrity theater-

their performances were cirque like acts-quite good-maybe this is the future of cirque on Celebrity-Bar at the edge is a joke for real cirque fans

Cast is boarding Constellation today, but I think they are just rehearsing this cruise and shows should commence on the next one on Nov 10th.

YIPPEE!!! We will be cruising CONSTELLATION Nov. 10 ... and what was a great disappointment is now great rejoicing! This is a better use of CdS, and one most passengers were expecting anyway. Kudos to Celebrity for fixing this on a fast-track.

Here is the complete article,

Celebrity Cruises is in a "soft launch" of a new Cirque du Soleil performance as audience reaction is gauged and modifications are made before the official debut. The new concept, an artistic and acrobatic performance, called "A Taste of Cirque du Soleil," moves out of The Bar at the Edge of the Earth and into the Celebrity Theatre. "A Taste of Cirque du Soleil" begins Oct. 29 on the Constellation and Nov. 20 on the Summit. The 30-minute performance has been created exclusively for Celebrity, and will feature three acrobatic acts and animators from Cirque du Soleil. There will be two performances per week to accommodate guests in both main and late dinner seatings. There will be no charge for the performance. The Bar at the Edge of the Earth, a space designed exclusively for Celebrity by Cirque du Soleil, will remain onboard both the Constellation and Summit, as a bar/lounge/disco by night and observation lounge by day. However, there will no longer be Cirque characters in The Bar at the Edge of the Earth. The Cirque du Soleil-branded Masquerade Party also has been discontinued; however, Celebrity will present an adaptation of that popular event, with guests encouraged (but not required) to wear masks. The Cirque du Soleil boutiques also will remain on both

Seems to answer a few questions. I wondered if Celebrity would have made a charge for the show, they seem to like chargibg for everything else. It seems that the Bar at the Edge of the Earth is remaining with encouraged masks. One has to ask the question 'WHY!!' as there qill be no CDS presence there.

Good to hear CdS is back. We are on the Connie relocation 11/10 cruise out of Cape Liberty to San Juan (fka Bayonne MOT). This will be our first X cruise since the Galaxy in 1997 and we are interest in seeing how Celebrity handled it's version of the Radiance hull. We have been on Radiance and Serenade and are now booked for the 15 night Radiance in Oct 2006 LA to Ft. Lauderdale.

David

Archived