Mercury - Condition of Interior?

world1a

We just got off the Mercury on Monday. We loved the ship and the crew.

We have friends who sailed on her this summer. They were disappointed in the condition. We were looking for things they had mentioned. We found the overall condition of the ship to be excellent. Some of the furniture is showing wear which is understandable. However in a couple of areas the overstuffed couches and easy chairs are in deplorable condition. A future drydock is not an excuse for not replacing worn-out furniture as it's needed. A couple of worn out pieces of furniture can color someone's whole opinon of the ship and the line. It was our friends first Celebrity cruise and possibly their last. As stockholders, I hate to lose customers over something so easily rectified. They had a suite and I'm sure they ran up one heck of a bar tab ;)

It was our first Mercury cruise and we enjoyed it so much that we booked the same trip again next year. I think the Mercury may be our favorite ship - (of course we almost always say that about whatever ship we just got off of)

We just got off Mercury, too. We loved the ship. Would sail her again in a heartbeat. Did notice a couple of things that do need updating. The parquet/marquetry floors in the elevators need to be refinished. A lot of feet have been in them over the years. Sanding and a few coats of polyurethane would do the trick. Also, some of the upolstered chairs in public rooms are showing some wear. These could easily be remedied without drydocking the ship. Mercury has a great crew that treats you like royalty!

Hancock

We were on the Mercury on October 3, 2005 - five night cruise out of Seattle. Although I didn't notice any obvious problems with wear and tear in the public areas (I wasn't really looking with a critical eye), our cabin, a low end inside room, had worn bed spreads and sheets (with holes). The bathroom, albeit kept spotless by our cabin steward, had a cracked and stained sink and stained toilet. The carpet was also worn out. The bed was comfortable and in general, although not impressed with our cabin by any stretch of the imagination, it was okay. But we got a great deal, and as they say, "you get what you pay for." I think I might think differently if I had paid top dollar to take this cruise.

I can't comment on other staterooms, but I would hope the higher the category, the more attention these items get. I would not be too happy with holes in my sheets had I paid $2500 (double occupancy) for my five night cruise - which I know some people that week did!

I knew going in that the Mercury was an older ship, so my expectations were minimal. I for one wasn't disappointed - I got good value for the $$ and had a very nice voyage.

Archived