Want to see LAVA flowing into the ocean

cruisethirsty

Hi everyone.

I'm booked on Star Princess on 12/5 for 15 day r/t LA. I originally planned to rent a car in Hilo and drive to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. However, since

late July, Pele has been nice enough to have lava flowing into the sea. I checked various websites and the boat tours generally are early morning or late afternoon and do not fit in with a 9-6 port call time. Also, Princess doesn't have a "lava boat" tour in their excursion listing. Does anyone have any experience with this: will Princess likely add such an excursion if it is still flowing into the ocean or would they go around the south side of the Big Island so we could see it from the ship? I believe they now travel from Hilo to the next port of call going around the North side of the island.

Hi everyone.

I'm booked on Star Princess on 12/5 for 15 day r/t LA. I originally planned to rent a car in Hilo and drive to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. However, since

late July, Pele has been nice enough to have lava flowing into the sea. I checked various websites and the boat tours generally are early morning or late afternoon and do not fit in with a 9-6 port call time. Also, Princess doesn't have a "lava boat" tour in their excursion listing. Does anyone have any experience with this: will Princess likely add such an excursion if it is still flowing into the ocean or would they go around the south side of the Big Island so we could see it from the ship? I believe they now travel from Hilo to the next port of call going around the North side of the island.

Of course the most dramatic viewing of the lava flow into the sea would be after full dark. I would imagine there are some boat tours available, but those would probably be late and require an overnight in Hawaii. I believe I read here recently that it is possible to drive to a certain point in the park and then take a long hot walk there and back again. Not sure it would be worth the time and effort as what is visible probably changes from day to day. You could check the VNP website for more info on this.

The Pride of America does alter its route when the lava is flowing to allow a slow pass by. I believe it pivots and then reverses direction so that both side of the ship have a view. Would imagine that other cruise lines do the same. Look for info on the Princess board as well.

Thanks for your reply.

The hike, from what I've read, is very difficult (10 miles) and would also take

too long given the length of the port call. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what Princess might or might not do. Then again, by December, the show could be all over.

Thanks for your reply.

The hike, from what I've read, is very difficult (10 miles) and would also take

too long given the length of the port call. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what Princess might or might not do. Then again, by December, the show could be all over.

I read here that the experts say the flow will continue for the "foreseeable future". I'm hoping the "foreseeable future" includes October 2017! You only have 3 months. Pretty good odds! You could check out current reports on helicopter on tours over VNP to see what they say about viewing the flow.

If Madam Pele is putting on a big show and the lava is flowing into the ocean, most of the cruise lines will sail by to see this spectacular sight. Some will continue on the southern route to Kona, and I have seen others turn around and head back they way they came from toward Hilo. I cannot say how many do this turn around as I am asleep long before they cruise by my house on the way back. I live about 20 miles north of the lava ocean entry point and I can see the cruise traffic from my lanai.

If Madam Pele is putting on a big show and the lava is flowing into the ocean, most of the cruise lines will sail by to see this spectacular sight. Some will continue on the southern route to Kona, and I have seen others turn around and head back they way they came from toward Hilo. I cannot say how many do this turn around as I am asleep long before they cruise by my house on the way back. I live about 20 miles north of the lava ocean entry point and I can see the cruise traffic from my lanai.

Thanks! 5 Days to go! Our first cruise on the POA we sailed by - up and back, it was my favorite part of the cruise. Cruise #2 no Lava :( I am excited beyond belief!