Question about Freestyle Dining over Thanksgiving week

ladypirate2012

We are getting ready to book the Getaway for Thanksgiving week and have questions about the Freestyle dining that NCL does. We are more familiar with MyTime dining that Royal Caribbean does and I was able to reserve dining times at 6:15pm for main dining room and other specialty restaurants weeks before the cruise. Is this true for NCL as well? We will be cruising with a party of 5 and hate to wait in a long line for dinner if it can be avoided with the odd number group.

Also, which specialty restaurant to people recommend for Thanksgiving on the Getaway? Will have an 11 and 13 year old with us....doesn't HAVE to be turkey. The 13 year old would prefer lobster over turkey any day...

90 days before the cruise, reservations will open online. You should be able to make reservations for the specialty restaurants as well as at least one of the MDRs. If you can't make it for an odd # of 5, then make it for 6, and adjust on the ship. (Sometimes people have that issue.)

We cruised Thanksgiving on NCL Epic. Turkey was served during lunch and dinner in the buffet, and maybe in the MDR that evening. We ate in a specialty restaurant, which retained it's regular menu. Reviews on the "Thanksgiving meals" served by the ship were generally poor. (I wouldn't expect that all these non-Americans have mastered a Thanksgiving meal, when it's a holiday specific only to Americans.)

Did Thanksgiving on The Getaway is 2014. Wonderful time. You can make dining reservations aboard ship for any of the dining rooms. I had a very "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner complete with green bean casserole ( which I hate), I ate it anyway.

Thanksgiving is NOT just an American holiday. Canada celebrates its Thanksgiving, this year on Monday October 10th. They make a bigger production out of it than we do. The last time I was on a cruise for the Canadian Thanksgiving- a buffet was set up in one of the dining room extensions. the gentlemen all wore tuxedos and the ladies in beautiful long formal dresses.

Thanksgiving is NOT just an American holiday. Canada celebrates its Thanksgiving, this year on Monday October 10th. They make a bigger production out of it than we do. The last time I was on a cruise for the Canadian Thanksgiving- a buffet was set up in one of the dining room extensions. the gentlemen all wore tuxedos and the ladies in beautiful long formal dresses.

Well good morning, Captain Obvious!

Since the OP lives in the USA, I assumed the OP is sailing in November and celebrating the American holiday, not the Canadian one. Hence my post that it is specific only to Americans. ONLY Americans will be celebrating on this cruise, and I shouldn't have to spell this out. Since you pointed out the obvious, that Canada celebrates their Thanksgiving on a different day, my point is still valid.

We sailed on the Damn Dawn over Thanksgiving in 2014. We also sailed NCL in 2013. We read before hand that the main dining rooms had a lousy turkey meal. They were right. We ended up in the buffet in 2013 and had a good meal. 2014, buffet again was real good. We no longer use the main dining room for Turkey Day. This year, same thing.