Winter Garden Reprieve

guernseyguy

From another board:

Greetings from QUEEN MARY!

I've got some news that is sure to make Doug's day. The Winter Garden has received a reprieve. It will not be changed or removed during the upcoming refit. Plans to extend the food court into it or convert it into another extra-tariff restaurant have been scrapped. According to the Hotel Manager, all such rumors were just that: rumors. There was some concern that the Winter Garden did not bring in enough revenue and therefore should be converted into something else. But, such would leave the ship with only one ball room for all the various events -- Captain's party, World Club party, art auctions, etc. Therefore, the Winter Garden shall remain.

Interestingly enough, the Queen's Grill and Princess Grill will be redone at refit. Nobody is very impressed with the design of either room so, a new decorative scheme will be introduced in both.

We're sailing today at about 24 knots westbound towards New York. It is the second day at sea on this westward journey. The eastbound sailing was incredibly smooth and warm. Most of the voyage, you couldn't tell you were on a ship it was so smooth. However, what a difference a day makes. As we started off on our westbound voyage, we had some exceedingly rough weather yesterday with the ship bouncing all over the place. Pitching, rolling, yawing, with great plums of water smashing into the windows in the Britannia Restaurant. There would be a loud impact sound and all the windows would turn from daylight to a dark teal color as the wave inundated the side of the ship. Yelps and screams came from those not accustomed to such events. It was great fun.

I don't know if the author posts here regularly, so I thought I would add it - sounds like fun in the Britannia restaurant!.

This 'refit' seems to get smaller by the day. First the new 'dining under the stars' where the Broadwalk Cafe is was dropped...now extending the Kings Court.....maybe I should start a rumour that the Commodore Club is being changed into an 'inch of gold' store......how would that be for a Halloween horror? ;)

Peter

Archived