Beach Comparisons, correct? comments?

OC PAT

Hi, I have been trying to select a beach for the day in early December on a Tuesday. We are arriving by the Adventure cruise ship. We are in our 60's, she has some mobility issues due to replaced knee, he can walk 10 miles a day. If there is a good hiking/walking trail he would be very happy! We love to snorkel, alcohol is not required but we might want a small snack. We would like to spend the whole day which requires lounges and shade. We also like to snorkel but I do not want steep drops into the water. Love kids but I am on vacation and do not want to handle running kids into me, literally. The following highlights some of the beaches that are in consideration. Please comment if I am correct, your opinion and missing info. that would help me in my decision process.

Dickerson Beach-taxi-$3.00 pp, 1-way., 10 minute ride, 2 chairs and umbrella-$30.00. Pretty beach. Good snorkeling, mile long but next to Sandals Resort. Sometimes trash on beach area. Gets crowded. Tony's the place to get drinks and use restroom. Cost for restroom? Shower?

Turners Beach (Bolone)-taxi-$6.00 pp, 1-way, 30 minute ride, 2 chairs and umbrella-$10.00. Good snorkeling, has beach bar and T-Shirt shop, Montserrat in the west. Steep shelving into the water. Fly problem? Restroom, shower cost?

Valley Church Beach (Jolly Harbour)-taxi-$6.00 pp, 1-way, 20 minute ride, 2 chairs and umbrella $20.00. Not great snorkeling, Slope into the water. Cruise day crowded but not as bad as Dickerson's. The Nest for drinks and vendors on the beach. Has wash room. Cost?

Darkwood Beach-taxi-$8.00 pp, 1-way, 30-40 minute ride, trees for shade, $5.00 for chair but where is the rental person? Bathroom but no showers, cost? Snorkeling reef. Views of Guadeloupe & Montserrat, distant. Cruise ship excursions use this beach. No waves. Seashells. Inflatable water Park nearby...does this mean a lot of kids? Opposite of the road is a lagoon-good for nature observations. Fly problem?

Ffryers Beach-taxi-$7.00 pp, 1-way, 25 minute ride, prettier than Church Beach, Cruise ship excursions go out of here, sea shells and sea glass, Dennis Beach Bar rents the lounges. costs? Some waves.

Other Beaches but not really in consideration; Long Beach-great for snorkeling, 30 minutes, 2 umbrella and 2 chairs-$30.00, palm trees, next to Great Pineapple Resort, Bathroom-$2.00, Halfmoon Bay-waves, no facilities, surfing, pink and white sand, Galley Bay Beach-secluded and on ocean. Pigeon Bay (English Harbor)-plenty of shade, picnic tables, small beach, snorkel in shallow water. $1.00 bathroom/shower

So do I have my info. correct? I do know one must agree upon taxi cab cost ahead of time and you pay on the return trip. Do we recruit others to get minimum cost for the ride or will the cab driver do so?

I know all beaches are pretty in Antigua so this decision has been so difficult!

I know this is a long thread so I appreciate your time and consideration

I can only comment on Valley Church Beach. It is lovely BUT there is a steep drop off. If not for a resourceful young man who would help people like me out (and then we would tip) I would still be in the water. Not sure what I would have done if he had not been there. We older end of middle age ladies had a good laugh but I would not advise it for your wife.

Have you thought about Fort James Beach? It's a short ride from the cruise terminal and I've read that it doesn't get very crowded. You could visit the fort and then head to the beach. We're planning on getting a day pass from Beach Limerz (which is a restaurant on Fort James Beach from what I understand). It includes loungers, umbrella, non motorized water sports, drinks and lunch for $60pp. I've never been to Antigua so I'm sorry I can't help you out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I had originally eliminated Fort James Beach because of no bathroom availability. Well I dug a bit more based on your recommendation. There is a beach restaurant/bar called LimerZ on Fort James Beach. I emailed the owner and she replied promptly-plus points! They do rent chairs for $5.00 and umbrella's for $10.00. They sell drinks, snacks and full restaurant menus. They have an outdoor shower and an inside toilet for guests. They will call a cab for our return trip to the ship. Cab fares are $12.00 one way. They are about 10 minutes from the ship. They also have a lunch package for $60.00. Not sure about snorkeling. Fort James is a fort that is of interest but has not been maintained very well. It is right next to the beach and has some super cool vistas....hubby will love exploring the fort.

Has anyone been to this beach?

You are welcome torchd and super thank you to Ber0043.