Grifval5's review of QE2 Med cruise 15/10/2005

grifval5

We wanted this, our first cruise and on QE2 to be very special as we were celebrating our 42nd anniversary and my birthday. IT WAS! From start to finish there were so many plus's and very few minus's, and those not enough to take the shine off.

We arrived early at embarkation because we were so excited, after registering, we did have to sit 2 hours in a waiting lounge before going on board at 2pm. We spent that time enjoying watching our prospective fellow passengers. We were shown to our cabin, which was on FOUR DECK, and an upgrade. It was fine, as it was really a 3 berth, and plenty of room and storage for the 2 of us. The cabin stewardess introduced herself and asked if she could get us anything, and was very obliging when we asked for some fresh fruit in the cabin. From then on it was replaced every time it was depleted. Another special touch from her was on the Monday it was my birthday, and I opened and put out my birthday cards. That evening, when we came to retire, there were balloons and chocolates covering my bed!

The ship looked very good to us, and my special interest in her as a historic and famous liner, was not disappointed. I loved wandering through and looking at all the artifacts and photo display case, there was so much to browse and enjoy.

The staff could not be faulted, all (mostly foreign) were very polite, cheerful and helpful, each one making a point of saying 'hello' whenever you met or passed one. I particularly like Martyn, the Cruise Director. He had a great sense of humour, and even made the pre-disembarkation talk about luggage and order of leaving procedures, fun to listen to. We thought the evening entertainment was first class, especially the production shows.

We ate in the Mauretania restaurant, late sitting, and had requested a table for 6, which we got. The food and the service was excellent, so much so, that I had saved my nicest long gown for the last formal night, when it came to it, IT WOULDN't FIT! We were very lucky with our dining companions, as one couple were Belgian, didn't speak a lot of English, but with gestures to help, were really very funny. The other couple we became really friendly with, as they were similar ages and similar personalities to ourselves, and enjoyed doing the quizzes and art lessons with them. My DH and myself were very interested in the lectures by the pilot and trainer of Concorde, in fact, there was so much to do inside, we didn't get out on deck quite as much as we would have liked. I took advantage of the great Library and Bookshop, and found the Computer Centre very early on. My DH loves golf, and most days hit some balls. He also played in the small darts tournament most days and met some really nice guys.

We visited Gibraltar (bought very cheap duty-free), did the Nice excursion( it was more scenic than Cannes), Barcelona (very interesting), Naples and Sorrento (and did the breathtaking Amalfi Coast tour). Gave the Rome day a miss as we had done this another year, and had a lovely lazy day on board out on deck, as we were very lucky with sunny days.

We had Jimmy Saville ( as mentioned by Sweep), and Liz Dawn( Vera Duckworth - Coronation Street) on board this cruise, and both were very nice if you happened to pass them. Jimmy Saville looked as if he was very familar with the QE2.

The concern we had before leaving, regarding the noise in the Aft cabin we knew we had been allocated, never bothered us. We slept better at sea than at home, as if the liner was a huge cradle lulling us to sleep. So no problems there!

The couple of minor downers were, as Sweep has mentioned, the excursions were overpriced, especially just the transfers. We heard criticism that quite a few tour arrangements we too hurried, but we didn't find that on ours. Another one, very rare for the food, we tried the fish and chips meal in the Golden Lion one lunchtime, and it was unedible. Our new friends found it the same, so it wasn't just our opinion. I found it a little difficult to dress informal on the last evening, and have to pack and put out the luggage before midnight, unless they think you will disembark the next morning in a long skirt and dressy top !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saying that, we loved dressing up for the evenings, and seeing how nearly everyone else kept up the standards expected.

Overall, you can tell we thoroughly enjoyed the experience, especially being aboard the QE2 before she goes out of commission, and would do it again at the drop of a hat! It was a holiday we shall remember every detail of, and hope it is not the last that we see of the QE2.

I hope this review was not too long and detailed, but I am still up on cloud 9.

grifval5

Thanks to all Cruisecritics that wished us well and welcomed us back.

Grifval5,

Thanks for posting such an informative review - delighted you enjoyed your cruise on the QE2 - clearly there is life in the old girl yet! (the ship - not you - tho on a 42nd anniversary, you must have married VERY young! ;) )

I'm also glad you found your Caronia cabin good - I've only sailed in Mauretania so far - midships or forward - so have no idea what I'll end up with in Caronia for my Trans Atlantic in January. The QM2 will be with us for many years yet, and no doubt over time will aquire the mystique and ambience of the QE2 - but while I still can, I much prefer the old gal!

Peter

I'm also glad you found your Caronia cabin good - I've only sailed in Mauretania so far - midships or forward - so have no idea what I'll end up with in Caronia for my Trans Atlantic in January.

Hi Peter,

We had an M1 cabin Four Deck, upgraded from an M2 Five Deck, so we ate in the Mauretania Restaurant and really liked it. Glad the review was OK, I enjoyed writing it, and just love this message board.

So, when's your next QE2 voyage? It's inevitable

Stowaway2k, Thanks, and the next QE2 booking - the sooner the better!

lm still a year off from my 11th & 12th QE2 cruise and its simply ages away yet !!!!

Cunardqueen, At least you have booked, lucky you!

grifval5

I'm really really pleased you both enjoyed the cruise so much. it is without doubt you will remember it . I still remember almost every detail of my first cruise on QE2 and thats 20years ago now.

My advise would be do it again but not too soon. Great experiances are hard to follow up.

Best wishes. ken

Archived