Upgrades

sweethome

Hello,

I'm new to the board and also have never cruised! :eek:

Looking at booking cabins for my aunt/uncle for a transatlantic crossing and see where most folks appear to get upgrades. Is it better to pay for a cabin 1-2 levels lower than what you actually want? Or are upgrades just not that common? (i.e. Want to get them a premium balcony)

Thanks for the help!

Room upgrades are not an entitlement. Pay for the type of room that you want and can afford. If you aren't upgraded you will be happy and if you are you'll be more happy.

I was seated for lunch on the NORWAY with a couple whom complained the whole time about the room they paid to be in. They were convinced that they should have gotten an upgrade. Finally I said that I was in a former first class room, that is where I paid to be, that they too could be enjoying a nice room if they paid for it. Needless to say that couple wasn't amused, but after listening to their constant complaining I had had enough.

Hello,

I'm new to the board and also have never cruised! :eek:

Looking at booking cabins for my aunt/uncle for a transatlantic crossing and see where most folks appear to get upgrades. Is it better to pay for a cabin 1-2 levels lower than what you actually want? Or are upgrades just not that common? (i.e. Want to get them a premium balcony)

Thanks for the help!

Upgrades are more available at less-popular times of the year. Also, how old are they? If they're on the Atlantic in the cold season, it's too nippy with the temperature and wind to sit on a balcony. Hull balconies give you more protection from the weather, because an opening is cut from about the waist up, and from there to the floor of the balcony it is solid.

Room upgrades are not an entitlement. Pay for the type of room that you want and can afford. If you aren't upgraded you will be happy and if you are you'll be more happy.

I was seated for lunch on the NORWAY with a couple whom complained the whole time about the room they paid to be in. They were convinced that they should have gotten an upgrade. Finally I said that I was in a former first class room, that is where I paid to be, that they too could be enjoying a nice room if they paid for it. Needless to say that couple wasn't amused, but after listening to their constant complaining I had had enough.

Here, Here, I'm with you! But I understand why someone reading this board would expect to be upgraded. So many members have mentioned being upgraded. However, there is a downside to upgrading. My brother-in-law saw a suite on a cruise ship that he really liked for its location. He booked that particular suite for his next trip on that ship. A short while before their cruise he received a notice that he was being upgraded to a more expensive suite. He was furious, called the cruise company and was told that his original suite had already been assigned to someone else. He said that they could give the other passengers the more expensive suite, but the company wouldn't budge! They said that it was against their policy to move the other people to a different suite.

We carefully chose our stateroom's location portside on the 11th deck with a balcony, paid the price and requested to have our reservation marked "no upgrade". Mistakes can occur, and we didn't want to end up in a location that we wouldn't like better than our original choice. A larger wardrobe, wet bar and a tub we won't use wouldn't make up for a bad location for us! Also, unlike many CC members, we want to dine in the Brittania. We can do quiet and posh at home, but we enjoyed the Mauretania, and are looking forward to dining in the heralded most beautiful dining room on the waters! I recently read that during the refit, they are going to try to make the Grill dining rooms more interesting and less boring!

Sweethome,

I heartily endorse the advice given by Calliope and dtwtraveler. NOBODY knows how the upgrade system works - 'arbitrary' and 'capricious' would be two adjectives that spring to mind. If they want a balcony, pay for one - don't book an inside then get upset at having an inside! On the QE2 many pax in the Princess/Britannia Grills have their reservations marked 'no upgrade' as they prefer the former dining rooms to Queens Grill. When sailings are discounted, as well as upgrades you get the 'How much did you pay for your cruises? crowd (translation, 'I got a better deal than you did....aren't I smart') and on one trip (not Cunard) my travelling companion and I decided on a stock response: '$99 including 6 category upgrade to suite, $500 onboard credit and helicopter transfers.....' Some of them were so humourless (and crestfallen) that they didn't spot our little joke.....

Peter

Sweethome,

I heartily endorse the advice given by Calliope and dtwtraveler. NOBODY knows how the upgrade system works - 'arbitrary' and 'capricious' would be two adjectives that spring to mind. If they want a balcony, pay for one - don't book an inside then get upset at having an inside! On the QE2 many pax in the Princess/Britannia Grills have their reservations marked 'no upgrade' as they prefer the former dining rooms to Queens Grill. When sailings are discounted, as well as upgrades you get the 'How much did you pay for your cruises? crowd (translation, 'I got a better deal than you did....aren't I smart') and on one trip (not Cunard) my travelling companion and I decided on a stock response: '$99 including 6 category upgrade to suite, $500 onboard credit and helicopter transfers.....' Some of them were so humourless (and crestfallen) that they didn't spot our little joke.....

Peter

I like the "$99 ....." comment! It's so crass and rude to talk cruise costs on the ship. As you said, if someone asks how much you paid, they're hoping that they can one up you.

In Detroit, it's, "How much did you pay for your car?".

Thanks everyone. And also for the suggestion about the hull balcony. My aunt/uncle are in their 70s and have never been anywhere - except once to Florida in the 1980's!! Just want to give them a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I appreciate your help to a newbie!

Upgrades are clearly a mixed blessing. In the 70's we were scheduled for transatlantic both ways on QE2. That was when QE2 caught fire leaving Southampton and missed 2 crossings. After flying over and enjoying our travels, we caught up with the ship in France where at least 2 sailing had been combined into one. We were upgraded to a Princess Grill room. It was wonderful to be upgraded, but we were just happy to have a ride back to NY.

Recently, we sinned (defined as a long time Cunarder sailing with someone else) and sailed with Silver Whisper. After selecting the midship suite we wanted, we were upgraded to their best suite. As it was in the bow area, we told the agent that we didn't care to do that. "Sorry, your cabin is gone." So we went. Fantastic room - we really didn't need 2 rooms, 2 baths, etc. We would have been much happier in the room that we had booked.

Don't plan on upgrades. It might be great, but maybe not.

Archived