Ultimate Balcony Dinner Review

rob_ n_tam

Thank you so much for the fine review of the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. DH and I did the Mayan Champagne Breakfast last year on the [i]Grand[/i] which was also a very special dining experience. We thought it was a bit too much to eat early in the day, but we saved the sweets tray and enjoyed it later.

I will celebrate my 55th birthday while on board the [i]CP [/i]and wondered if UBD would be better than going to the dining room on what I believe will be the second formal night of the cruise. We will also go to the Captain's Circle Cocktail Party that evening (usually on second formal night). It might actually be nice to be all dressed up for photos on our balcony.

Your comprehensive review has convinced me that this might be one of the best birthday celebrations I'll ever have!
[i]Chris[/i]

• 4 weeks later...
This needs a bump. Great review for a unique experience. Am thinking of doing this myself on our Cruise in March. Interesting that the original poster (rob_ n_tam) mentioned they had Christian as their waiter. If he's the same person as the Christian we knew on the Golden last May - he was from Romania, btw - he was the best waiter we had and I would highly recomend his service if you run across him.

~Paul

• 1 month later...
ronp101,

Yes. DH and I enjoyed the ultimate balcony breakfast on the Coral during our transit through the Gatun locks. It's pretty amazing. So much food, so little time. ;) There's a picture of it in our Coral pictures, follow the link in my signature.

[quote name='ronp101']Love the review! Has anyone tried the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast?[/QUOTE]

We had this on the Dawn - 10 day Southern Caribbean.

For the $25 for two, it's a great deal.

1/2 bottle of champagne
huge basket of assorted pastries
crab leg appetizer (2-3 big legs each) (X2)
quiche and some other stuff [fancy potatoes, greens] for main (X2)
huge assorted/sliced fruits plate (X2)

I have to say, there was far too much food!

We had it on my birthday - it was a perfect way to start the day :)

ps - this topic is discussed in more detail here:
[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=143172"][color=#0000ff]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=143172[/color][/url]

Hi Rob n Tam - what ship were you on? You said you were in B751 - did you have an obstructed view off your balcony? How did you like the room? and what was the cost of the balcony dinner? Thx for review!

Based on what I am reading, I want to try both the Ultimate Dinner & Breakfast, at least once! Tom

That's a great perspective, Tom - and also one that I share!

Also, if indifferent after the first time, I will try a second. Case in point - The Sterling Steakhouse. First tried it on the Dawn last October - food was okay - probably a bit better than dinning room but not to (overrated?) expectations. Plus, the atmosphere/ambiance of a 'converted' Horizon Court location just didn't seem to have the real pizzaz of a SteakHouse. So, I decided to try it again, this past February on the Grand. Food was of similar quality (not fantastic, like I was expecting) and the service was sub-par. As it was my partner's b-day and we had invited friends to join us, for an extra $60, there was not a lot of value in the experience. So, I doubt I will be eating at the Sterling Steakhouse again (unless on the Diamond/Sapphire, of course!). Live and learn - but it certainly won't stop me from sailing on Princess (our preferred line - 15 cruises and counting!).

Archived