News Report IRT Carnival Pride Early Return

VALBS

God bless all. True sailors now. Prayers and "Pride". Everyone who really cruises a ton from east coast gets this. My cruise friend TA in sales and sails only luxury now and well earned for her; had a trip with same route on the old Dreamward "?" NCL and water came in her upper deck balcony cabin. God bless you guys.

Edited by sjn911

That news report made it seem like they are bringing her in early so she'll encounter the worst weather while docked. Is anyone else interpreting this the same way?

You never want to be tied up when bad weather hits; always out at sea where you can ride it out. If you're tied up alongside you risk the ship being pushed into the dock, mooring lines breaking, etc.

That news report made it seem like they are bringing her in early so she'll encounter the worst weather while docked. Is anyone else interpreting this the same way?

You never want to be tied up when bad weather hits; always out at sea where you can ride it out. If you're tied up alongside you risk the ship being pushed into the dock, mooring lines breaking, etc.

During Irene they dropped passengers off in Baltimore then headed to open water and the crew rode the storm out. Crew members said that night was the worst ride they'd experienced.

The next day they docked and we got on board, a day late but just happy to get to cruise.

I watched it again and you might have a point. I guess another interpretation of what the Carnival statement implied was that by returning early they would miss the worst of the storm while with in the Chesapeake Bay or while trying to dock in Baltimore. In either case I would call it a miss. I don't think there was much of a chance of them missing it while in the Atlantic.

In some ways it's true, but I think it depends on the port. In this case, it likely was to beat the worst of the storm. Isn't Baltimore up into a channel?

In some ways it's true, but I think it depends on the port. In this case, it likely was to beat the worst of the storm. Isn't Baltimore up into a channel?

Yes RuthlessBoss it is technically the Patapcso River but referred to "the Inner Harbor". I just said "yes" to RuthlessBoss. Does that make me a Yes Man :eek:

Instead of porting in Freeport the Captain took the passengers right through the worst part of the storm. Looking at the storm track and the Prides track easily shows the blunder . Another bad decision call by Carnival.

Edited by BoDidly

Home from the Pride. What a wild ride that was. Thank God for Bonine. We skipped Freeport and arrived in Baltimore around 1 a.m. this morning.

Glad you are all back safe. I have no doubt it was a wild ride. Did you have to walk on the bulkheads?

I watched it again and you might have a point. I guess another interpretation of what the Carnival statement implied was that by returning early they would miss the worst of the storm while with in the Chesapeake Bay or while trying to dock in Baltimore. In either case I would call it a miss. I don't think there was much of a chance of them missing it while in the Atlantic.

The captain said he would return early to get ahead of the storm. Didn't feel like we were ahead of it to me. They closed the outer decks. The ship was rockin' and rollin'. I almost rolled out of bed several times. Glasses fell off the shelf and broke. We have sailed many times during hurricane season and have only missed a port one time and have never encountered bad weather, so I guess we were due. Still had a good time.

I am not sure what you mean by "walk on the bulkheads." Probably something simple that is going right over my head.:)

When the ship lists (sways) to the port or starboard side and goes over far enough then you have to take a few steps on the walls (bulkheads). It would be very unlikely to happen on a ship like Pride. One of the Crew members posted a video on another, not to be named social media site of water coming under the outside doors into the Taj Mahal Lounge and a Baltimore News Station had a clip of the conditions y'all had to endure. I am sorry that happened and I hope you still had a great time. I am on her next month and cannot wait.:)

When the ship lists (sways) to the port or starboard side and goes over far enough then you have to take a few steps on the walls (bulkheads). It would be very unlikely to happen on a ship like Pride. One of the Crew members posted a video on another, not to be named social media site of water coming under the outside doors into the Taj Mahal Lounge and a Baltimore News Station had a clip of the conditions y'all had to endure. I am sorry that happened and I hope you still had a great time. I am on her next month and cannot wait.:)

Oh, I see. No, nothing like that, thank goodness. But it was pretty bad for a while.

Well, at least those on board did not need to endure these conditions for 3-4 days straight as I have during north Atlantic TA's. Then again, I got what I wanted, and had a great time. Of course these were on Cunard Queens, not top-heavy cruise ships. We went through these conditions (force 10-12) at an easy 26 knots. :D

Singling out one particular cruise line during a bad storm is getting really old. I trust that every cruise line and the captains that head the ships make every effort to keep the passengers safe.

Well they do , but this is a Carnival forum.