Zuiderdam potholes ONCE AND FOR ALL

MikeInPgh

OK boys and girls, lets get this straight once and for all. (Doesn't really matter since they will be fixed in a few weeks, but...)

As someone who walks with a cane, I found the ruts in SOME of the hallways barely noticable. This is not a problem all over the ship, just in some hallways. It is happening because the thin layer of concrete used to level the floors is breaking down. That is happening because someone at the shipyard used saltwater to mix the concrete and then forgot to add the fibers to make the concrete more flexible.

According to Jim Derring (the current Hotel Manager) this will be resolved when the Zuiderdam goes into for a brief drydock sometime in early Dec.

Then it will be a non-issue.

Mike

Your opinion. I am sure you didn't walk every hallway on every deck.

As the wife of someone who is wheelchair-dependent, I can assure you that my husband found the uneven hallways a nuisance and very uncomfortable. It was like riding over cobblestones in some areas of the ship.

We were on the upper verandah deck.

We sailed on the Zuiderdam in 2003 and there was no problem then.

Also sailed on the Oosterdam in 2004, no problem.

We do not anticipate uneven hallways on our upcoming Westerdam cruise.

We understood the problem; Mr. Deering explained it to us. We did not complain, only commented that we were surprised at the state of the hallways. He agreed, they were in bad shape.

I don't recall anyone really getting their knickers in a twist about this ...

People have just commented that there were some very bad areas of the ship, which took them by surprise. You don't expect a HAL ship to have uneven flooring under its carpet.

Archived