Considering booking an NCL cruise

squick64

Hi. I'm thinking of going on an NCL cruise about a year from now, partly for the studio option (going by myself) and partly for the itinerary.

It looks like the current Free at Sea promotion ends September 16, but I understand that it happens at various intervals during the year. Is that correct? Am I safe waiting to book and getting it later?

My guess is that the drinks package will serve me best. As I'm going alone, a free guest doesn't help. I don't really need the wifi, and the specialty dining is for more than 1 guest (I assume I wouldn't get its full value if I dine alone). I do drink, so I suspect I can make use of the drinks package.

I know no one can predict fare drops, but it looks like a) NCL doesn't offer price drop protection like Carnival does, and b) it's likely to drop over the next year, given what the rates have been for 2016. So am I OK to wait? (I always book stuff way in advance, partly for the security and partly because I just have nothing better to do, but maybe I'd benefit by waiting on this one?)

Side question for those who know: I know I can book through the Chase UR portal (by phone). Are there are any benefits to using the portal if I'm not using points at all, though--just cash?

Thanks!

Hi. I'm thinking of going on an NCL cruise about a year from now, partly for the studio option (going by myself) and partly for the itinerary.

It looks like the current Free at Sea promotion ends September 16, but I understand that it happens at various intervals during the year. Is that correct? Am I safe waiting to book and getting it later?

My guess is that the drinks package will serve me best. As I'm going alone, a free guest doesn't help. I don't really need the wifi, and the specialty dining is for more than 1 guest (I assume I wouldn't get its full value if I dine alone). I do drink, so I suspect I can make use of the drinks package.

I know no one can predict fare drops, but it looks like a) NCL doesn't offer price drop protection like Carnival does, and b) it's likely to drop over the next year, given what the rates have been for 2016. So am I OK to wait? (I always book stuff way in advance, partly for the security and partly because I just have nothing better to do, but maybe I'd benefit by waiting on this one?)

Side question for those who know: I know I can book through the Chase UR portal (by phone). Are there are any benefits to using the portal if I'm not using points at all, though--just cash?

Thanks!

No one really can answer your questions. Many things have changed over the last couple of years, including the promos AND the value of the promos as well as the fares. For us the gratuities (daily service charge) are the best value, but we do not drink very much on a cruise and would not spend what is charged for that "free" promotion (it's not really free) even if we bought drinks, so do look at the 18% gratuity charge on the UBP to see if you think you would spend that much on beverages - we wouldn't. People have calculated the break even point on various threads, but it is many more drinks than we would drink.

If you see an itinerary you like at a price you willing to pay, then book it. You can always cancel and rebook if something better comes along before the final payment is due, but if not, then you have the cruise you want.

If it works like other such travel portals, unless Chase is offering something extra, then why do it that way? You don't have control of your reservation, which may or may not be important to you. For example, the Chase agents would have to contact NCL on your behalf if you decide to make any changes.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a good cruise!!!!!

Edited by drvalo

Keep in mind they don't always offer booking perks for studio bookings. On my March cruise, I was in an Epic studio and there was no promo for studios. I have another studio booked on Epic for next year and there was a promo when I booked that one, so I was able to choose UBP.

Not sure what you mean about not getting the full value of the dining promo. If you book solo, you don't get dining for two people, you get it for one, so you would get the full value of your promo if you dined in specialty restaurants...

As far as when to book--no one can tell you what's going to happen in the future. The price may go down and it may go up. I've had both happen after booking. They may or may not offer a booking promo on studio bookings. I agree with the PP who said, if you see something you want at a price you're willing to pay, then book it. If the price goes down, you can cancel and rebook later, which may or may not benefit you depending on whether they're offering a booking perk on studio bookings.