Carnival Pride- Sept. 4th to 11th- BERMUDA! Here's my review.

fshstck

So we leave Glass Beach and head back to the dockyard area and want to spend the last hour or so snorkeling. I had heard mixed reviews of snorkel park but it is close to the ship. The admission fee is $5, there is an additional charge for loungers and umbrellas, but I don't remember what as we didn't use them. So Snorkel Beach is everything I hate in a beach: crowded, bars and small. I wasn't here for the beach, I was here to snorkel. Once we got in the water I was pleasantly surprised, this is an excellent location for snorkel, what makes it great is the depth of the water changes drastically in a short period of time, don't worry because even in the deep areas there are places where you can stand on rock formations to rest a bit of adjust equipment. The fish are numerous and don't seem afraid of people. The best variety is out past the fort wall. This is where I saw the largest and most varied variety of fish. If you are a beginner or weak swimmer there are plenty of fish in the shallow water. Overall Grade: B- if I had to break it down Beach: C- and Snorkel: A+ again, the convenience to the ship is nice.

In preparing for our trip, the one thing I had a difficulty understanding prior to getting on the cruise was the transportation situation in Bermuda. I heard about the Transportation Pass, but wasn't sure where to buy them. I knew there were bus and ferry service but was unsure of how crowded they would be. I also heard taxi service could be expensive. I had decided the best option would be the transportation pass. As we were docking I looked over the dockyard and saw that the Ferry was very close by, I still didn't know where to buy the pass. Where the Cruise Ship docks there is a building you walk through, right there is where you buy the pass. $31.50 for a two day pass. I wasn't planning on using the pass on our last of 3 days there.

Ferry service is a great way to get to Hamilton or St. George, then we used the bus to get to more specific locations. Make sure you tell the bus driver where you are going because most of the stops are unmarked. I found the buses to be frequent and comfortable, one time we had to stand due to crowds. I think it would have been cheaper if we just paid per ride, but having the pass made it so much easier and we really didn't know how often we would be using the passes. I think we ended up doing 3 ferry rides and 5 bust trips each. Overall Grade: A

Bermuda is a great place, we always felt safe and it was nice not to be hustled by the locals (like in Jamaica or Bahamas). I always felt comfortable interacting with the locals as the seem genuinely happy you are there. We went there for adventure we wanted to do some things that were not so mainstream. We didn't go there to walk around towns or to shop, in fact I don't think we stepped in any stores. Just a few words of caution, unless you are really familiar with riding on opposite side roadways I would not rent a moped, the roads are dangerously narrow and the traffic circles would have confused the hell out of me. I saw a few close calls between cars and mopeds while there. Bicycling on the roads is also not a good idea, I did hear they have a nice trail system. If you have mobility issues, your transportation options are limited, I do not think the buses are handicap compliant, you might have to rely on shuttles and taxis. Of all the places I've been to, Bermuda is the place I had the most fun. I really want to go back, there really isn't any comparison to the Caribbean, match any island to Bermuda and Bermuda would win every time (except for maybe the weather). I was hesitant to book a cruise during Hurricane season and when Hermine popped up I thought our plans were doomed, everything turned out fantastic. If you have any questions, i can answer them the best I can.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this and answer my questions. I will be boarding the Pride tomorrow after staying at the BW tonight.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Hurricane Karl goes the other way.

Sue

Good Luck with Karl, those forecasts change daily, who knows you might be diverted to another destination.

Thanks for your excellent review! I've made some notes for the next time we get to Bermuda.....we were on the same cruise as you and I didn't know Glass Beach was so close. There just wasn't enough time to see or do everything and I really want to go back. Brenda

Thanks for your excellent review! I've made some notes for the next time we get to Bermuda.....we were on the same cruise as you and I didn't know Glass Beach was so close. There just wasn't enough time to see or do everything and I really want to go back. Brenda

What were you're thoughts about the Pride? There was so much more we wanted to do, but also ran out of time. What did you do while in Bermuda? I also heard there was another "Glass Beach" nearer St. George.

What were you're thoughts about the Pride? There was so much more we wanted to do, but also ran out of time. What did you do while in Bermuda? I also heard there was another "Glass Beach" nearer St. George.

Alexandra's Battery Beach, just down the road from Tobacco Bay in St. George, is another glass beach. As of last October, there were no signs restricting taking the glass. We took the Hop On Hop Off bus there, having taken the ferry from the Dockyard. As a life-long sea glass collector, I was thrilled to bring dome home. :)

Lisa

I really liked the ship, it's the perfect size for me, and I will definitely take it again going back to Bermuda. Guy's Burgers and the Iguana place were a real treat for us, but we typical sail Princess and the food overall was not what we are used to, especially the buffet. And my husband was not impressed with the desserts (lol). We are early risers and early to bed and found most things were definitely geared to the late crowd. The shows we did see (88 Keys, Heart of Soul, 80's pop to the Max) were fine. Definitely not comparable to Princess but I liked the music so they were good enough for me.

The day we arrived in Bermuda we did a private tour of the island which ran from 10 to 4 and we covered a lot. That evening we did the Gosling's Rum cruise which was really fun.

The next morning we took a snorkeling Catamaran Cruise. We purchased it at the pier, not through Carnival. Everyone seemed to have a good time. I loved it but I don't snorkel. Others said the snorkeling was okay but not overly impressive compared to other places they have been. From there we took the $7 shuttle to and from Horseshoe Beach and that was a blast. Beach was packed, but plenty of room in the water which is where we spent our time. Gorgeous water and fun waves, everyone was glad we made the decision to go there. Next time I'd probably go earlier though rather than afternoon. Although next time there are other beaches I would like to try. Maybe go beach hopping one day:).

And the last day we just walked around the port and shopped in the clock tower. We had planned to go to Snorkel Park like you did, and really wish we had, but some of us weren't up for it after being wiped out from the previous days activities.

Not sure when we'll go back, but we definitely will! Brenda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...