Review Pearl 08/28-09/04/16

bambilin

I cannot figure out how to post my review. I keep trying to submit but it does not go through. Please feel free to move it!

BACKGROUND.

I planned this cruise for my group of 27 from New YorkThis was my 28th cruise, 10th with NCL. We have wanted to sail Alaska for a long time. With free (truly) UPB and 3/4/5 free it was a no brainier.

PRE-CRUISE

We flew to Seattle on 08/26 via Jet Blue group booking. Most of us stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center. The hotel shows some age but the rooms were clean and comfy, the staff was friendly, breakfast buffet was not bad at all and indoor pool was clean and warm. The hotel was convenient for walking to most attractions.

We had lunch first day at Five Point Cafe. Not the most attractive place but who cares? The food was awesome, huge servings,service great and prices reasonable. Most of us had purchased the Seattle Cuty Pass. We headed to the Pacific Science Center, Space Needle and some to the Chihuli Gardens and Glass. I am challenged and don't know how to add pictures in the middle so I will post some at the end!

Next morning it was off to Pike Place Market, Seattle Aquarium the Argosy Harbor Tour. Great fun all around. Went back to the hotel so the kids could swim, then we met up at NYP Bar and Grill for a great group dinner! After dinner off to the Space Needle for our nighttime view. Awesome!

In the morning it was off to the Pearl. Used Ace Transporation for all of our transfers and even when we wanted them in town. Awesome service! Super friendly and reliable.

Embarkation and THE PEARL

I am Platinum and were told to arrive anytime we wanted from 9:30. There really was no reason for that. It was about 11:40 before we boarded. Cabins were ready about 1 PM. We were in balcony cabin 10084. Pretty tight for our family of four but we knew it would be! The room was showing a lot of wear. The shower door kept coming off track, shampoo dispenser kept coming off the wall and the top of the chair under the dark kept falling off. Our stateroom attendant Felix was great and he kept fixing things but it was the same in all of the cabins. There were a lot of broken seats in the Stardust Thester. The ship overall was clean and easy to navigate. My younger son loved the basketball court and the older one enjoyed the golf area and giant chess pieces. They both liked the tennis.

Kendall and Lorelei at the Atrium bar were great! Martini bar had a very limited menu and the drinks that sounded interesting were not included in UBP. Mojito Bar had limited hours.

ENTERTAINMENT:

We laughed so hard at Tim Kaminsky the comedian. He was great! Legends in Concert was entertaining. It was fun but the cast did not sound like those they were impersonating. The crew tribute at the end was a hoot though! The highlight of the entertainment for us was Duo Balskatt! They were awesome!

DINING:

We enjoyed dinners in Summer Palace, O'Sheehans', Teppanyaki, La Cucina and Lotus Garden. Our group ranged from 14-21 throughout the cruise for dinner and we neve had a wait. We did have reservations at Teppanyaki and LaCicina pre cruise. Note: it's in small print but shorts permitted for over 12 years old in Summer Palace only the first night and last two. The other main diningriom Indigo shorts were ok at all times.

Breakfasts and lunches were mostly at Garden Cafe Buffet but we did enjoy two at the noodle bar. Awesome! Have a Wasabi Martini. Yum! Kids also had sushi one afternoon and loved it!

Kids Club:

We had kids in each group and they all participated at times and enjoyed very much! Counsellors were very friendly.

PORTS:

Juneau. Did the Whale Watch/Mendenhall Glacier through Juneau Tours. Captain Steve and Emma were awesome and so were the whales! Our group of 27 had our own boat.

Skagway: we used TNT Trail of 98 Tours for a 7 hour Emerald Lake/Yukon tour. Had two -4 passenger vans. Michelle and Tom were the best! Saw so many sites and the kids got to go gold panning and ride the sled dog carts. The puppies were were so cute!

Glacier Bay: what can I say? Spectacular. Mother Nature gave us a beautiful sunny day.

Ketchikan: We booked the Beting Sea Alaskan Crab Fisherman tour on the Alleutian Ballard. It was so much fun and so interesting. Needed more time in Ketchikan!

Victoria BC: We booked John Adams of Discover the Past for a Ghostly Walk. He met us just outside the ship and we began the tour there and ended by the Empress Hotel. Fun stories, great history and beautiful nighttime views. Again we needed more time!

Debarkation:

Getting off was a breeze, Ace Transportation was waiting for us to go back to Seatac and onto our Jet Blue flight. We were sorry to go! Our group of 27 all were very happy that we made this unforgettable trip. We had a blast!

Please feel free to message me any questions. I am sure I left out plenty!

I have lots of photos but cannot post!

Lin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Your post was fine. Thanks for the review.

Looking forward to the photos.

Thanks! I really wish I could have put this in the cruise review board where it belongs. I never had trouble before. Guess I need to ask one of my kids to help me!

Thanks! I really wish I could have put this in the cruise review board where it belongs. I never had trouble before. Guess I need to ask one of my kids to help me!

Great review - we are headed to Alaska next August. We are also planning Juneau Tours & Alleutian Ballad and are thirsty for reviews. Far and few in between Thank you

Thank you all. Trying to put review and add photos. Can't believe I made so many typos or that I forgot to mention this:

We saw the Northern Lights! Not a big spectacular show but some swirly glowing green!!!!

Where were you when you saw the Northern Lights? That is so cool! Was is announced or did you just happen to get lucky? What time of night was it?

It was when we were sailing from Skagway. No announcements. Someone on the boards had mentioned good chances our week and then in Juneau our tour guide said the same thing for the night we were leaving Juneau. A bunch of us stayed up super late that night but nothing.

My friend texted around 1:45 AM to say he thought he saw them (just white looking, was not sure if just clouds or storms). When I went back to bed I left the balcony curtain open and slept the opposite way in the bed. Lucky I woke up having to pee and saw a dim green glow. Ran to the balcony. Almost killed myself the bed/bunk bed. Woke up my hubby and the kids them started calling all of the rooms in my group!

Thank you Lin, I hope we can see the Northern Lights on our upcoming cruise! On an aside, how was the temperature on the ship, main dining rooms and theater? Deciding how many short sleeved shirts to take...

I am always freezing Krissy so I usually had a sweater. My boys and hubby were always in short sleeves on the ship.

I'm glad your kids enjoyed the kids club! Going later in the season as you did, were there many kids onboard? My kids are homeschooled, and we like to travel in the late season, and in my roll call, there seems to be not one family with kids besides us.

There were a lot of kids. There were days people were lined up trying to get in. My kids did not go that often but one night they had to go on a waiting list because there were too many kids checked in. We got a text about 1.2 hour later they could come and they did go.

OMG...we were in 10074! We had to have seen each other in the hallway and not known it!

Kathy

Too funny! Our group had 10088 10086 10084 10080 10078 and 10076 plus a few others on 10 and a few scattered. You had to see us!

[emoji16]