Alcohol question

jasrub

I asked this question in another forum, but no one answered it, so I thought I'd ask here, since I'll be on RCCL anyhow.

When at ports (Cozumel in my case), is there a limit or anything regarding the amount of, say bottles of rum or tequila, for example we can bring back on the ship? I know when we travel to Mexico across the border, we can only bring back 2 bottles per person, and was wondering if the same sort of limits apply to a cruise ship. Also, I assume they would charge taxes on the alcohol you bring back to the US, just like going across on foot at the border, am I correct?

Jason and Ruby

I'm not aware of the actual limits, but I do know that when re-entering the US, customs will have something to say about how much you bring back. And tax anything over that limit.

From what I've heard, when bringing it back onto the ship from a port of call, RCCL takes it for you and holds it till the end of the cruise. But can not swear to that since I have never bought alcohol while in port!

I'm not sure about the limits either, but you can probably find something on the internet about that.

I can tell you definitely that when you reboard the ship that RC does take and hold the alcohol until your last night on the ship. Our friends bought some liquor at one of the ports and had to surrender it upon re-entering the ship, but received back on the last night just fine.

I believe the limit is one bottle...unless you stop at one of the U.S. Virgin Islands. USVI has special duty-free status and you can bring back 5 bottles duty-free. You can actually bring back a 6th, as long as it is produced in USVI (i.e. Cruzan Rum).

But, these limits are just duty-free limits. You can bring back more, and must just pay the duty on them upon re-entry. It is often still much cheaper.

Just got off Rhapsody and I found our day of departure papers. It says :

"Each guest is allowed the following duty free items: $800 total merchandise, 50 non-Cuban cigars, 200 cigarettes (US made, duty free), and 1 quart of alcohol per guest 21 years of age and over." Please note: Texas law allows each guest 21 years of age and over to import one quart (1.14 liters) of alcohol....Non-residents of Texas - Federal law allows importation of one liter per guest....An additional 4 bottles of alcohol will be allowed but will be subject to duty and excercise taxes.

Hope that helps. By the way....it says excercise tax on the paper....do you think they meant excise?? :confused: :D

I have no idea how much you are going to purchase, but remember you can only bring so much home on the planes.

This is from the American Airlines website.

Alcoholic beverages in retail packages may be checked as baggage or carried on board, but are limited to five liters per passenger providing that following conditions are met:

• The receptacle (bottle, can, etc.) does not exceed 5 liters.
  • The alcohol does not exceed 70 percent by volume (140 proof).

Alcoholic beverages under 24 percent by volume (most beers and wines) are not restricted. Opened containers are only allowed if they are re-closed and packed properly. Customs regulations by country may limit the amount of alcohol you may be transport. Please check ahead of time to ensure that you are in compliance with these limits.

When going back on a ship with alcohol, RCCL does not always take it away and store it until the end of the cruise.

We have been lucky enough each cruise (4 and counting) to never have our bottles held until disembarkation.

Not sure if it is luck of the draw or just good timing.

Archived