Upsell vs Upgrade

Twinprincesses

Ok this is my first NCL cruise so I am trying to understand.

I called he Upsell line today and the Haven Upsell price is the same as if I originally would have booked. Why would you Upsell if you do not get the free wifi etc that Haven guests get and I only get my original perks?

Now please explain what an upgrade is.

Thank you.

Upsell, you keep your original booking date and perks. No penalties.

Upgrade, your reservation is cancelled and rebooked with current applicable promos, and you pay the listed price. If you are in penalty, you will have to pay the cancellation fee.

Umm not sure I agree with above. You can upgrade anytime there is no cancellation fee but not to a lower price. Upsell you wait until closer to your sail date 4 weeks to a couple of days. The price to upsell should be less than when you book or upgrade. You pay basically a fee. I.e. 500 ea to a suite or 200 ea to a balcony. You sometimes can negotiate and they will check with their supervisor if they can take your offer. Because of the discounted price you do not get the extra offers but you get all the service that goes with a suite. If you book a suite.

Umm not sure I agree with above. You can upgrade anytime there is no cancellation fee but not to a lower price. Upsell you wait until closer to your sail date 4 weeks to a couple of days. The price to upsell should be less than when you book or upgrade. You pay basically a fee. I.e. 500 ea to a suite or 200 ea to a balcony. You sometimes can negotiate and they will check with their supervisor if they can take your offer. Because of the discounted price you do not get the extra offers but you get all the service that goes with a suite. If you book a suite.

Well, that's not how it worked for me with the upgrade, and I've done both recently. I upgraded before final payment, though, and if upsells are open on her cruise, it is definitely past final payment. But given NCLs inconsistencies in customer service, ymmv.

Edited by Starflyr3

Well, that's not how it worked for me with the upgrade, and I've done both recently. I upgraded before final payment, though, and if upsells are open on her cruise, it is definitely past final payment. But given NCLs inconsistencies in customer service, ymmv.

I was able to upgrade from balcony to Spa balcony without any penalties or losing any perks. Cost was only 248.00 for DW and I.

I was way past final payment.

We all know NCL can be inconsistent , we may have just caught an NCL rep on a good day.

I called main NCL UK number yesterday as I looked at our cruise online and noticed that there were Haven suites available at a great price. We cruise in 9 days so way past final payment date.

Asked if I could change and just paid the price difference from my original booking and the new suite price. Moved from a balcony to two bedroom suite for $1400 (equivalent) for 3 people. Kept my original 2 perks and was also given the extra two.

Very helpful and friendly.

There was no way I ever thought we could sail in the Haven, the price now is less than half the original price.