Anything Grandeur and New England Cruise

My first cruise, ten years ago, was on the Grandeur, and I am so very excited to be cruising on her again in June. It will be eleven times I've cruised when I board the Grandeur again, but this time will be my first cruise that isn't headed for the Caribbean. I'm beyond excited to see Boston and Maine plus Canada. Please share anything Grandeur and destination related that's positive and adds to my excitement! Love Cruise Critic!

Be sure to plan on eating at your destinations. New England's food is The Best!!

Do some extra research on where you will be and where to eat.

Also, you will probably want to do some specialty store shopping. Awesome local country/downtown types of shops with great options for everyone.

Totally agree about eating in port. The fresh seafood is amazing with so many choices!

If you're into history, there are lots of things to see and do. The Freedom Trail in Boston is an easy walk and very interesting. Halifax also has an interesting background, with lots of information about Titanic.

The coastline of Maine is stunning - get out on the water on a smaller boat if you can to see the lighthouses, granite cliffs, and forests that come to the see.

Grandeur is in great shape - she was my 11th cruise as well! - and the crew is outstanding.

We have just come of this ship and this itinerary. We did the Freedom Trail in Boston which we book independently $12 per person, a foodie tour in Bar Harbour again booked ourselves $60 each, we hired bikes in Portland and did our own brewery tour, and finished off with a private jeep tour in Halifax which was fantastic, went to out of the way tourist places as well as the titanic grave and Peggy's Cove. Any more info you need let me know.

We have just come of this ship and this itinerary. We did the Freedom Trail in Boston which we book independently $12 per person, a foodie tour in Bar Harbour again booked ourselves $60 each, we hired bikes in Portland and did our own brewery tour, and finished off with a private jeep tour in Halifax which was fantastic, went to out of the way tourist places as well as the titanic grave and Peggy's Cove. Any more info you need let me know.

Did your foodie tour in Bar Harbour include Maine Lobster? Can you give me the name of the tour? Did you book it ahead of time, or did you just find it when you got off the ship? Thanks so much!

Be sure to plan on eating at your destinations. New England's food is The Best!!

Do some extra research on where you will be and where to eat.

Also, you will probably want to do some specialty store shopping. Awesome local country/downtown types of shops with great options for everyone.

Do you have any specific recommendations for places to eat? Thanks!

In Halifax, there is a pub called Durty Nelly's up the hill on Argyle Street, right next to the Toothy Moose. GO!

They have the best seafood chowder you could ever hope to put into your mouth! Be sure to crumble the biscuit they give you into the chowder. It is one of the best dishes I have ever eaten! I wash it down with a mug of Stella Artois or Molson Canadian on tap. Divine!

Their other food is great too, but that chowder....it's worth a trip to Halifax just to eat it!

I've been there several times. For a one day visit I recommend the maritime museum and Fairview Cemetary (where Titanic victims are buried)

Edited by VASOXFANN

In Portland, go to Gilbert's chowder house. Great chowder house and phenomenal, fresh, and cheap lobster dinners. It's within walking distance of the port on the water. We turned right, but you may be in a different spot. Ask at the info booth.

We just walked around and shopped. They gave us a very helpful map at the info booth

Edited by VASOXFANN

Did your foodie tour in Bar Harbour include Maine Lobster? Can you give me the name of the tour? Did you book it ahead of time, or did you just find it when you got off the ship? Thanks so much!

Only lobster roll (1 each) we also had blueberry cake and coffee, crab cake, popcorn, duck fat fries and beer and then finished off with some balsamic and olive oil tasting. We booked in advance of the trip, just google Bar Harbour Foodie Tour. The guide was very informative. It was a very foggy day when we were at Bar Harbour and the tender process was beyond ridiculous, we only just made the 10.30 meet point because a very kind lady gave us priority tender tickets. We got up at 7.30 for early tickets and would have been on boat no2 which did not leave until about 11.am it was chaos. There was another couple from the ship who missed half of the tour because they could not get a tender.

We loved our NE/Canada cruise. I'd love to do it again! Wonderful seafood and lobster lunches in port.

Bar Harbor: We had a wonderful experience with Ollie's Trolley tour.

Boston: We spent the entire day using the Hop On Hop Off trolley. Hint: check out the itinerary of the HOHO trolley online before your cruise. Figure out the stops you want to make in advance to plan your day. Then, be sure to give yourself time to ride the entire loop to see other areas of the city (about 2 hours.)

Halifax: We did the ship's excursion to Peggy's Cove. Hint: We had the option of the morning tour or the afternoon tour. The afternoon tour will give you a better shot of sunshine and better visibility, as it is typically cloudy and foggy there in the morning.

Portland: We rented a car and drove to Kennebunkport, which is a beautiful area, not too far from Portland. If I went back, I'd spend more time right in the waterfront area of Portland.....beautiful area!

We had some great meals, including West Street Cafe in Bar Harbor, and Union Oyster House in Boston.

As someone who lives in Maine, trust me, they won't let you get off the boat and NOT eat lobster. :)

I definitely want Baltimore crab cakes, Maine lobster and Boston clam chowder! They are all on my bucket list! Hoping for suggestions of the best place to get them all!

Edited by teacher2cruiser

In Portland, go to Gilbert's chowder house.

We got off in the morning, walked by this place, and thought we would come here for lunch. Well at 11:30 it was already packed to the rafters with a line out the door. So get there early, or very late.

I definitely want Baltimore crab cakes, Maine lobster and Boston clam chowder! They are all on my bucket list! Hoping for suggestions of the best place to get them all!

Different areas of Baltimore have crab cakes some better than other.

What area will you be staying before your cruise ?

My first cruise, ten years ago, was on the Grandeur, and I am so very excited to be cruising on her again in June. It will be eleven times I've cruised when I board the Grandeur again, but this time will be my first cruise that isn't headed for the Caribbean. I'm beyond excited to see Boston and Maine plus Canada. Please share anything Grandeur and destination related that's positive and adds to my excitement! Love Cruise Critic!

In Portland, ME, booked with Portland Discoveries' land and sea tour: trolley tour of the town and boat tour of several light houses and islands. Very informative. Actually did these two segments in different years. The lighthouse tour was cancelled the first trip due to intense fog (kinda cool). Did Ollie's Trolleys in Bar Harbor; go for the longest tour available. Whoever is used for Acadia National Park/Cadillac Mountain, you won't be on the mountain very long due to the large number of buses/cars at the site. However, it is well worth the trip.

G&Ms for crab cakes just outside of Baltimore. Highly recommended.

I also recommend G&M if they are staying in the airport area, or even driving from the downtown/Inner Harbor area. If they are staying north of the city, Pappas is awesome! Two locations: Parkville or Cockeysville. They also have a Glen Burnie location not too far from the airport. Fantastic crabcakes. Can't wait to get back to visit and have some:D

Edited by KeywestK