Escape in Tortola: Baths vs. Baths/Snorkel vs. Jost Van Dyke

KurtMo

Pondering these excursion choices for Tortola - can anybody provide some comparison / guidance? DW and I are 50, pretty fit, and just like to see sights and try new things. DW is not huge on snorkeling (little goes a long way) but it looks like the Baths/Snorkel combo trip provides OPTION to snorkel or just lay on beach / explore, AND that it eliminates the bus ride and takes you directly to the baths (?)

Also, I know it varies, but would appreciate any experience on seas for the crossing (wife is a bit sensitive, so she'll take her Bonine).

I am also posting on the ports forums, but figured I might get more responses here.

Pondering these excursion choices for Tortola - can anybody provide some comparison / guidance? DW and I are 50, pretty fit, and just like to see sights and try new things. DW is not huge on snorkeling (little goes a long way) but it looks like the Baths/Snorkel combo trip provides OPTION to snorkel or just lay on beach / explore, AND that it eliminates the bus ride and takes you directly to the baths (?)

Also, I know it varies, but would appreciate any experience on seas for the crossing (wife is a bit sensitive, so she'll take her Bonine).

I am also posting on the ports forums, but figured I might get more responses here.

We are 3 weeks before you and going to JVD on the Rebel Yell catamaran excursion.

Will give a report (opinion) on Tortola port!

we did the Baths tour and loved it!! It's gorgeous there! You two shouldn't have a problem with the climbing and walking. The ride over did make us all three seasick, but this subsided quick. On the way back we opted to ride up top on the boat, no sickness but at a speed of almost zero, we all were scorching hot!! I would love to do The Rebel Yell if we ever make it back to Tortola though!

MandyMommyof2,

Did you do the excursion which takes the ferry & then open-air transport to the baths, or did you do the baths/snorkel excursion (which appears to eliminate the bus ride and be on an open-air boat over)? How long was the boat ride (looks like maybe half hour or so each way)?

MandyMommyof2,

Did you do the excursion which takes the ferry & then open-air transport to the baths, or did you do the baths/snorkel excursion (which appears to eliminate the bus ride and be on an open-air boat over)? How long was the boat ride (looks like maybe half hour or so each way)?

Hey KurtMo! we did the ferry over and then we sent to the open air buses/trucks. The boat ride over was about 45 minutes each way. I forgot to mention we rode inside on the way over, they showed a cartoon on the tv. Being outside may have helped the sickness part. Once we were there, we unloaded and got into the open trucks. Ours was a converted Ford F 350. The ride to the entrance of the Baths was about 20 minutes. Hope I helped you a little.

I did the excursion where you snorkel in, I have some pictures in my Getaway review below in my signature. It wasn't too bad of swim in and then you went through the baths path to Devils Bay. You could swim and snorkel more or you could just hang out on the beach. There were no vendors at this beach though so you would have had to go back to where you first landed if you wanted to shop or get a drink. Or I believe there was also a path up to the shop at the top of the baths area where the land tour comes down right there as well. They moved the boat to Devils Bay after everyone was off it and then you swam back out to it when the time there was done.

I enjoyed it and would do it again.

Edited by CoffeeGoddess

I did the excursion where you snorkel in, I have some pictures in my Getaway review below in my signature. It wasn't too bad of swim in and then you went through the baths path to Devils Bay. You could swim and snorkel more or you could just hang out on the beach. There were no vendors at this beach though so you would have had to go back to where you first landed if you wanted to shop or get a drink. Or I believe there was also a path up to the shop at the top of the baths area where the land tour comes down right there as well. They moved the boat to Devils Bay after everyone was off it and then you swam back out to it when the time there was done.

I enjoyed it and would do it again.

Thanks CoffeeGoddess, I think we'll do the baths & snorkel since the boat is open air; don't want my DW have the claustrophobic feeling if ride is bumpy. DW will take her bonine and wear accubands (for pressure point).