Upsell negotiable?

I am sailing on the Escape 10/8 in a large balcony cabin. I have tried calling the upsell number the past couple of weeks and it seems that I get the same person every time. She always tells me firmly that the price will not go down any further before sailing and it is not negotiable. I want to get an H6 and she's telling me $1000pp. I know I've seen various other posts where cruisers have gotten this cabin for less but I can't seem to find the posts when I use the search function. Am I mistaken? Is this the normal upsell price for this category?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sailing on the Escape 10/8 in a large balcony cabin. I have tried calling the upsell number the past couple of weeks and it seems that I get the same person every time. She always tells me firmly that the price will not go down any further before sailing and it is not negotiable. I want to get an H6 and she's telling me $1000pp. I know I've seen various other posts where cruisers have gotten this cabin for less but I can't seem to find the posts when I use the search function. Am I mistaken? Is this the normal upsell price for this category?

Here is one where they negotiated on a DOS:

Two weeks ago, they quoted me $2000 pp to upsell. Today they said $1500 pp initially and I offered $1000 pp and they took it.

I dont really know how it works in US

but I guess that you are quiet early for a nice upsell call

In Germany we are told the best upsells/upgrades you will receive 10-7 days before starting the cruise

maybe you should try it again next week.

we will cruise on 10/1 (Jade) and I got an offer 2 days ago.

from balcony (BA) to H2/H3 it would have been 800€/pp

we denied, cause we wont stay much time in the cabin

wish you luck!!!

Melanie

Edited by Mel71

Personally I think they have wiggle room in the price based upon the price you paid in the first place.

For the person who says they negotiated the DOS at $1000, I am on the same sailing and for me to do the OS they want $1750 more pp and wouldn't budge. I assume since he was in a higher cabin to begin with and I was not that his offer still netted them more in the end than mine did.

She also reminded me that our sailing is rather full (though tons of other lower cabins available). I thanked her and said I would think about it as $3500 more isn't in my budget. Would be nice, but I could take 2 more cruises for that.

While I suspect that there are a lot of factors that are considered when an upsell is negotiated by NCL, the two that I'd guess play the biggest role are what's the need for your original cabin and what's the demand for the cabin you want to upsell to?

If you are looking to move from a cabin that there are a lot of, the upsell will probably cost you more. On the other hand, if NCL thinks it can pretty readily upsell someone TO your old cabin, you might be able to negotiate a better deal.

Similarly, if you're looking to upsell to something that's more limited or popular, upsell will probably cost more. If you're looking to move to something with a lot of availability, it might cost less.

If you're moving FROM a cabin NCL thinks it can resell readily to a cabin that there's not a lot of demand for -- you'll probably have the most room to negotiate. Conversely, if you have a cabin that they won't be able to resell easily to a cabin that's in high demand -- they will probably be firm on the price.

What you paid originally and how close it is to sailing are also factors that come into play. I'd also guess that the individuals you talk to aren't making these decisions -- NCL probably has computer models that drive the prices, like airlines. The CSRs may have a "range" they can work within, but there's probably only so much they can do.

Is this the normal upsell price for this category?

Like others have said - it isn't that there is a "normal" upsell price. It depends on what category you have, how much you paid for it & the price difference between what you paid and the category you are trying to upgrade to. Also on who you get on the phone. :)

On the last cruise the upsale fairy called about four weeks out. They offered a price for a family suite - which we didn't want since it'd mean we lost our balcony (on the Star they have full length windows but no balcony). I said I was interested in an aft facing suite and they offered a price. I said another price and they went and checked and said they couldn't sell it to me for that price. No problem, we didn't have a deal.

One week later, they called back and offered me the aft suite for less money than I'd offered them a week earlier. Needless to say I took it. Sometimes you just need to get your name out there since they have quotas to fill and if they know you're willing to take it off your hands for a price then once the price drops to that value then they'll have an easy sale with you.

My personal experience and I just hung up with upselling to an H5 on Breakaway 9 days out is yes the price comes down. $1k pp to $1k total plus there is no tax on the upsell.

Not a DOS but in the Heaven. For reference I was in a BA deck 10 forward they do ask for your reservation number before price is spoken about so they do know what you paid and what promos you have.

FWIW

Exactly.. The other factor is how much you paid for your original cabin...

While I suspect that there are a lot of factors that are considered when an upsell is negotiated by NCL, the two that I'd guess play the biggest role are what's the need for your original cabin and what's the demand for the cabin you want to upsell to?

If you are looking to move from a cabin that there are a lot of, the upsell will probably cost you more. On the other hand, if NCL thinks it can pretty readily upsell someone TO your old cabin, you might be able to negotiate a better deal.

Similarly, if you're looking to upsell to something that's more limited or popular, upsell will probably cost more. If you're looking to move to something with a lot of availability, it might cost less.

If you're moving FROM a cabin NCL thinks it can resell readily to a cabin that there's not a lot of demand for -- you'll probably have the most room to negotiate. Conversely, if you have a cabin that they won't be able to resell easily to a cabin that's in high demand -- they will probably be firm on the price.

What you paid originally and how close it is to sailing are also factors that come into play. I'd also guess that the individuals you talk to aren't making these decisions -- NCL probably has computer models that drive the prices, like airlines. The CSRs may have a "range" they can work within, but there's probably only so much they can do.

They will not lower the price as long as there is demand. They offer it at a specified time frame. As sailing date approaches, they will negotiate with any takers when cabins are still available. $$$ is $$$. Try to call regularly.

I Called yesterday for an upsell and they told me that unless i received an email from them to bid i am not eligible.I figure I'll call next week and see what happens.

When is your cruise?

Isn't NCL switching to invited bidding for all cruises after a certain date?

The bids aren't accepted until 3 days before sailing.

When is your cruise?

Isn't NCL switching to invited bidding for all cruises after a certain date?

The bids aren't accepted until 3 days before sailing.

Right now they are only doing bids on Escape and Getaway. I assume it will go fleetwide eventually. I suppose they are doing this because too many calls were coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I Called yesterday for an upsell and they told me that unless i received an email from them to bid i am not eligible.I figure I'll call next week and see what happens.

Yes now only bidding by invite for Escape and Getaway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know if it's true but I have heard there are only two people who work in the upsell department - can't remember the official name of the department. If that's true I can understand why you would always get the same person.

It appears that there is only one H6 available on your sailing so there really isn't a need for NCL to negotiate at this point.

Edited by cruizinwithkids

I don't know if it's true but I have heard there are only two people who work in the upsell department - can't remember the official name of the department. If that's true I can understand why you would always get the same person.

It appears that there is only one H6 available on your sailing so there really isn't a need for NCL to negotiate at this point.

There are least 4 people whom work in the upsell dept. I've called 4x and write down each name of the person who have helped me.