Akumal Bay

tngirl1stcruise12

Has anyone went from cozumel to Akumal Bay? I know that it requires the ferry and a taxi. I'd love to snorkel with the turtles, stingrays, and marine life it is suppose to have. Is it really worth all that travel or is there somewhere in cozumel that is just as good?

We spent 2 weeks on Cozumel a few years ago, don't remember seeing all that many turtles (actually, i don't think i saw any),

but despite that, my 2 favorite spots to snorkel:

1) Chankanaab (requires entrance fee)

2) the beach-front at a Hotel called "Playa Azul", located just north of town. At the time, they let us use their beach all day, even tho' we weren't hotel guests - as long as we at least spent some money at their restaurant. "Playa Azul" seemed to have plenty of sealife by it to make snorkeling worth-while - no turtles at the time, tho'.

Last year, we spent 2 weeks at Akumal - saw several turtles, each and every day, and also a few stingrays, and there's a couple of reefs with various sealife.

If you want to make a go of it, then yes, take the ferry into Playa del Carmen. A taxi to Akumal is about a 30-minute drive, so that might cost you a pretty Peso.

The local transit system (Colectivos) would be a lot cheaper.

Check the video, starting at about 1:25, about Colectivos

• 2 weeks later...

I would be nervous to go to Akumal on a cruise port day. Forewarning, I have never been on a cruise so maybe I will feel differently after i return. But we were in the Riveria Maya 5 years ago and took a collectivo to Akumal. It was incredible! First time snorkeling so I am not sure how great it was in comparison to other places in the caribbean. But was able to find multiple turtles after only about 20 minutes, right off shore. We also took a collectivo from our resort to Playa del Carmen, took the ferry over to Cozumel and snorkeled there which took a lot of time. Combining those two things seems like it would take a lot of travel time. I'd be worried about getting back in time and also about enjoying myself with so much travel. By the way, expect to potentially get seasick on the ferry.

Spent a week in Akumal a few months ago - I so badly want to go back when I cruise to Coz in December, but I can't bear to go there for only a few hours. And honestly, the better snorkeling is around the corner at Yal Ku Lagoon in Akumal unless you are there for turtles only. In Akumal Bay, there are pretty much two things to see in the roped off area that the guides will take you on your town - sea turtles and rays. The turtles are amazing and it's great to see them in their natural habitat and so up and close. They will swim right with you.

As much as I'd love to go back, it's not something that I'd want to do for a few hours and deal with the drive/ferry for ONLY the turtle snorkeling. If snorkeling with sea turtles is on your bucket list, go. Otherwise, skip it and plan a separate Akumal vacation. :)