Sunset Beach -now that it's at $40 a pop.

Rob'nMary

I thought maybe a new thread would be in order for Sunset Beach Resort now that it is $40 dollars a pop (it was briefly $45 a pop as the owners attempted to see how high they could raise it). I think it's fair to say that at double the price, people need to consider whether it is now double the value with the addition of the waterslides. Let me kick off this new thread with my own review:

I was one of the cruisers that decided to try a day at Sunset Beach Resort last week (while on a cruise) despite their greedy maneuver of recently doubling their rate over such a short span of time. After my experience there, I really felt obligued to help people to understand that -quite suddenly- despite all the years of good reviews, the sun needs to go down on Sunset beach. It is simply no longer good value.

Cruisers have traditionally liked to visit Sunset Beach Resort because Freeport/Montego Bay is such an ugly port of call- full of pushy vendors and corrupt guards. They like the idea of being at a secured beach where they won't be solicited ad nausea (as is the way of so many Jamaican vendors, sadly) and where they can lay in the sun and eat and drink for a good price. The $20.00 price was "THE" big reason SBR brought in cruise day visitors. The drinks are ok, but the food is not great... unless you are only paying 20.00!

Visitors gave good reviews because they were so impressed- and rightly so- at being able to eat, drink and lay on beach undisturbed (rather than experience the relentless pushiness of Jamaican vendors). The fact that visitors to SBR -in previous posts- have noted that the place is a bit old, does not have best swimming or snorkling on beach etc etc they have tended to want to still give good reviews because while amenties and food may not have been A+, the SBR people were all-inclusively generous with what they had to offer.

The people at SBR doubled their rates in a short span out of greed but also out of ignornance for what it is about their site that appeals to cruisers who visit for the day. Not many cruisers are apt to find water slides worthy of shelling out twice the rate when they just want undisturbed sand, ocean access and hearty food (even if not the greatest quality and limited variety). Sure the waterpark is cute, but it does not double the enjoyment of most cruisers who visit- and remember, waterslides are a dime a dozen throughout the states, even the cruise ships have them!

All the reviews of last years were correct. Sunset Beach was good value for $20 but this situation has suddenly changed! Sunset Beach is not- AT ALL- good value for the recently doubled price of $40.00 (as there is no doubled value to the day experience being offered). Even my cab driver to SBR ( wed oct 26th) laughed about SBR suddenly upping the price and realizing that day cruisers were still coming- BUT HOPEFULLY NOT FOR MUCH LONGER ONCE MORE PEOPLE RETURN AND NOTE THAT IT WASN"T SO GOOD OF A VALUE FOR $40. If I had paid $20, I would ..right now.. be saying it's worth a reply despite the questional aspects.

By the way, it is only a matter of time before SBR 'flubs it' and misplaces someone's sign and sail card. Trust me, it is very slap dash the way they take these cards and keep them at the gate... largely, I'm convinced, to keep control of the 'vistors exit' in the hands of the cabbies. We actually had to "push" to get our card back... the first person to meet us as we stepped out of the front lobby told us to wait until some more cruisers came out, and then he's get our card for us(once he had a full van)- "NO THANKS"! We actually had to forcefully tell him that we were done and wanted to go get our card back WITHOUT his "help"...NOW.

Yes, it's all charming, fun, and peaceful -IF not greatest quality- for $20, but the glaring problems, and lack of value, are so much clearer now that a day cruiser has to shell out $40. For those thinking of checking out Sunset Beach Resort despite the doubled price, do yourself a favour, and take a pass. For 40 or 50 dollars there are other excursions to be had that are comparable- even in Jamaica where giving top tour value is not always a priority.

Thanks for the info. I think you just helped me make my decision-NO SBR for us! What do you think of Doctor's Cave Beach, or do you know anything about it? Any other recommended excursions in Montego Bay?

Last time we were in Montego Bay we booked a beach break through the ship - it was $45 pp and included transportation to a SMALL beach, ONE soda, 2 or 3 hours at the beach, and return transportation to the ship. I think I can say that Sunset Beach would, at $40 pp, be a better value for us than that excursion was. It was even $45 for my 2 and 4 year old children. So as unhappy as I am with Sunset Beach, I have yet to see ANYONE suggest any similar alternatives at the same price point. The other all inclusives are close to $100 pp - so I think we'll have to just keep an open mind and give Sunset Beach a try.

Gotta agree with Rob'nMary. At 20 bucks pp it was a good deal for MoBay. At 40 bucks pp I don't think so. We took the capopy tour and did a little shopping right there at the dock stores and feel the money spent was worth it. Even stopped at Margaritaville for some souviners rather than pay 40 bucks at Sunset Beach.

I think that the reason Sunset Beach appeals to so many people is because in MoBay it's about the only place to get away from the vendors although Doc's Cove isn't bad.

All in all it's not a $40 good deal. Although ride to and from some of the other tours are long; Dunns, and the bamboo river tour, they're better deals.

But eveybody has their own opinion.

It's hard to readily find find a taxi that charges for the ride- although if you hang tough you can get a fare, priced merely by the ride. These Jamaicans start hustling you towards cabs and buses pretty quick, and as it's such a zoo at the Freeport terminal it's hard to 'hold out' until you get a cab that charges a simple fare- usually the cabs are big, and they prefer to charge by the person if they can get away with it- and it's hard to be forceful, thus most people end up paying $3 per person to SBR- a lot, indeed, for such a short ride.

Afraid I have to disagree. Even at $40, this is still a great place to go. How many all-day excursions can you do in MoBay where you are not riding on a bus all day (speaking of Dunne's River Falls), or have a sense of security (which you will not have shopping) and get all your food/drink taken care of for less than this amount? $20 was an absolute steal for those of us who had the opportunity to take advantange of it. $40 is actually reasonable IMO. Those who are new to cruising easily pay nearly this same amount (or more) thru Carnival to go on a 3 hour snorkel and beach tour. SSB is ALL DAY, er, at least as long as you can still see the ship :) . Yes, the snorkelling here is not as good 'cause of how shallow it is and the occasional jellyfish, but there are other things you can do at SSB. For my money, it's still the best place to go in Jamaica.

I will agree, though, that the process for holding the SAS cards is doomed for disaster. You are right... it's only a matter of time until someone's gets lost.

Joe

We paid $45 pp through Carnival in 2003 to go to Rose Hall Beach Club, which was basically a small beach with a little bar/grill area set up. For our $45 we got transportation, admission to the beach, and a Coke. It was not only $45 each for us, but also for our 2 and 4 year old children. I'd say Sunset Beach is a STEAL compared to that.

We were a couple of the lucky ones that went last February for $20 each. We enjoyed it and will pay the $40 per person this time. The only reason we hesitate is that everyone paying the $40 each, may encourage them to go even higher. Anyway, $40 or $45 is still a good price in our opinion.

:cool: Ummm, EXCEPT for the company we had from the ship, Sunset Beach stunk. Even at $20pp and cab fare. Drinks were weak,yucky.... food mediocre at best, and the beach was "awe"ful....VERY disappointing.:cool:

Wear water socks...lots of glass on beach, and in seaweed....so we all moved to the pool area. The seaweed was horrible...and would NEVER go back there, especially for $40pp, when I can eat, swim, on ship...for a far better price. And that is exactly what we'll do in May, unless someone finds something better and posts it.

WHY Carnival has chosen this port is beyond me....except for the River Ride, and tubing, it leaves little to be desired. My son has worked in Jamaica...and these are NOT "safe" tours. As far as those excursions, I would not take ANYONE on either unless they were strong swimmers, and DH is not one...Research posts regarding those excursions....

GL, happy cruise...

Archived