That one moment when....

VtMac

Lets have some fun. What was the moment that made you say "whoa" I love cruising? For me it took 20 years for the wife to get me back on the sea, too many trips through the Straights of Hormuz. I was literaly dumbfounded and relaxed for the first time when we turned south out of the Hudson. Then of course seeing the coast of San Juan. Those two moments were honestly life changing. I realized it was OK to not be connected to a cell phone and email

I can't say the moment, but I wasn't a fan of cruising at all. My Bride and her family loved it. Me, I stayed home and did my thing.....

Some good friends of ours had been on multiple cruises, on what was then known as the "Hogs on the High Seas" but now known as "High Seas Rally" due to Harley Davidson trade mark issues. The cruise is a fund raiser for dialysis patients. On a weekend getaway, they convinced me to go. Last October, ending on Halloween we sailed the Freedom of the Seas for 7 days. I was immediately hooked. This was the life for me. Couldn't get enough of it.

In April I took my second cruise aboard the Sky, followed by an annual trade show we attend at Disneyworld. Made many friends aboard the Sky with the servers. Recently, my Bride booked another cruise on the Sky. Our adult Son will join us as well. I will bunk with him and his roommate in an inside cabin, my Bride with her Sister in a balcony room. We sail next Monday. I'm only concerned with the weather hindering our travel plans. So looking forward to our journey.

BTW, the High Seas Rally sails again in Dec 17 aboard the Brilliance of the Seas. This time it is charted. We've paid that bill a long time ago.

No more island resorts for me. Cruise ships have everything I need.

I had always wanted to go on a cruise but life didn't let me until 4 years ago. My husband sent my daughter and I on one as a birthday present to me and graduation present for her. Husband refused to go saying had he wanted to be on a ship then he would have joined the Navy instead of the Air Force.

Our cruise left on my birthday, best present ever. On the second day of our 7 day cruise I almost cried because we only had 5 days left. I wanted it to last forever.

We were on the Gem and as we were coming into Port Canaveral I called my husband and he watched us on the Webcam and could see us on our balcony. I think that was the moment that he got curious about cruising.

Convinced him to go on one in 2014 and he enjoyed it so much that he wanted to go again the following year.

I think starting him out in a suite helped too!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

We've always wanted to go on a cruise but raising three children prohibited us from going one day I just said the heck with this and booked a Caribbean cruise on Freedom of the Seas the first time I walked up on ship I said oh I'm hooked and soon after that so it's my wife

It was December 2004, on the Norwegian Sun. After the first night's sleep I woke up and realized that I was still on a ship, wow. Taking your bed with you, wherever you go, awesome. That's when it really sank in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first cruise in 2009 for our 17th anniversary. Things were a little rocky for us, and it was a trip to get us reconnected. We have loved cruising ever since and try to go on one as often as we can. Our next cruise is March 2017 to celebrate our 25th anniversary, and we are going all out with a aft suite.

I took my mom on a 7 night Bermuda from Boston cruise for her 67th birthday in 2009. My husband and I had never taken a real vacation before. I got home and said what are we waiting for? So for our 28th anniversary the next year we took a 15 night Caribbean cruise and loved it. We are now platinum on ncl. My mom passed away in 2012. I now have the memory of giving her the only and best vacation she ever got. That is priceless!

Before we left on our first cruise in the Mediterranean, for us the ship was only a moving hotel. The focus was the variety of places we were getting to visit in a couple of weeks, without having to pack and move every couple days. It turned out that we really loved the places we visited and we also loved our time on the ship, which was somewhat unexpected.

Sailing into the first port, which was Olympia (Katakolon), Greece was my ah-ha moment. It was just beautiful, and I just wanted to experience sailing into new places again and again.

I fell hard in the summer of 2000 when our family was vacationing in St. Thomas. The Norway was in the harbor in all her glory. Other ships were docked and all those people looked so happy on their balconies.

Later that day we were on Morning Star beach having dinner. I watched the cruise ships slowly form a parade and leave St. Thomas. Continued watching until they disappeared and could no longer see the lights.

From that day on the only vacation I was truly interested in was a cruise. I did have to wait until our 25th anniversary. But we had such a wonderful time we were book hooked and soon we were including the children. DD and DSL love cruising and honeymooned on the Pearl. We are working on DS and hopefully our trip to Bermuda will win him over.

Currently my family resides in the US, Asia and Europe and we are thinking of meeting up for a Christmas cruise next year. Now that's my idea of the best holiday. Everyone together (when they wish!) and celebrating the holiday. Mom can relax and not even think of keeping everyone happy and spending most of the day in the kitchen:)