Go-go scooter hermitage museum

jonathon65

It never ceases to amaze me how people are able to post a question on CC but don't check the website for the facility for the information they're seeking.

OP , with all due respect the website for the Hermitage Museum contains the answer to your question.

Is the hermitage museum in st petersburg russia scooter accessible? If so is there a seperate entrance?

Yes it is accessible. :) From the website:

If you are using a wheelchair while visiting the State Hermitage Museum you will find the following information helpful:

We recommend that you call the museum administrator on +7 (812) 710-90-79 in advance and our staff will help to organise your visit and work out an optimum museum route.

Entrance Area

The flight of stairs leading to the entrance area is equipped with a stair lift. To put it into operation, you should ask the administrator on duty for assistance. You can find the administrator at the Information desk in the Main Vestibule. You can obtain a free wheelchair from the Information desk in the Main Vestibule leaving any ID document as a guarantee.

Ticket Check Area

The ticket check area is equipped with turnstiles. You will be able to enter the museum through a special wheelchair turnstile.

It never ceases to amaze me how people are able to post a question on CC but don't check the website for the facility for the information they're seeking.

OP , with all due respect the website for the Hermitage Museum contains the answer to your question.

While you are correct that the websites for facilities often have the information someone is seeking, it is also true that they may not provide the full picture. One of the benefits of a forum like this is that it can provide personal insights. That being said, I'll provide mine.

I was at the Hermitage in July. We had a pre-arranged tour with the museum and guide who specializes in disabled travel. When we got to the door where the ramp was stored, our guide spoke to the security guide and asked him to put out the ramp. He looked at me, shrugged, and said that he would not do it. I could see the ramp folded up inside the door but he just didn't feel like doing it. Our guide advised us that it was best not to argue with him and that if I still wanted to go in, I would have to negotiate the five stone, uneven, wet steps with no handrail. My husband and friend carried me and the chair up the steps. Once we were in, there were no further problems. We were able to get everywhere.

So, technically the website is correct. But wasn't it better to hear the real story?

If you have any other questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Kate