New Rules for Arrival Time at Port Everglades

kitty9

Over on the Crystal board, someone wrote that there are now new rules, instituted by the Broward County Sheriff's Department (it's on their website), that says they won't allow any cruise passengers arriving by auto, taxi or limo to go through the security checkpoint at the dock area earlier than 1pm. Has anyone else heard this? This thing, if it's actually the case, makes absolutely no sense. That means that if you arrive at FLL at 10am and want to drop off your bags and then leave the port to tour, you won't be able to do that anymore. You also won't be able to get on board the ship until after 1pm.

I went to the Broward County website, did the Sheriff thing, the port authority, customs etc. and did not find word one about any new regulations. Maybe i expected it to jump out and bite me but did not find it. The only related travel item I found was that the curfew (because of the hurricane and power being out, including the power in one of the main port authority offices) that is now in effect does not apply to people arriving/departing from the airport. Anyone who is able to find it, please post it so we'll all know. Thanks

The Sheriff"s Dept. website doesn't even appear to have been updated to reflect Hurricane Wilma. The Broward County site was updated today at 1:30 pm with the following information on Port Everglades:

"Port Everglades is open and operational for vessel and truck traffic."

Doesn't say a word about any time constraints.

Over on the Crystal board, someone wrote that there are now new rules, instituted by the Broward County Sheriff's Department (it's on their website), that says they won't allow any cruise passengers arriving by auto, taxi or limo to go through the security checkpoint at the dock area earlier than 1pm. Has anyone else heard this? This thing, if it's actually the case, makes absolutely no sense. That means that if you arrive at FLL at 10am and want to drop off your bags and then leave the port to tour, you won't be able to do that anymore. You also won't be able to get on board the ship until after 1pm.

Hi Kitty !

I do not see that as highly likely, especially as many ships depart between 4:30 and 6 pm. I surely hope it is not true, and I doubt that it is. If I find out anything further, I will post it here.

FYI, that very same rumour was going on over on the Princess boards just before my cruise in September on the Caribbean Princess. Alas, I went to Port Everglades at 10:30am, and had no problem whatsoever. In fact, there were probably 100 people already in line when we got there!

I know you FL people understand where this Port Everglades is but for us not faimilar with it what town is that port in? There are many ports in FL.

Don't most cruise documents tell you not to arrive before 1PM anyway?

3. Q: How early should I arrive for my cruise?

A: Plan to arrive at least two hours before your scheduled departure time, but not before 11 a.m., as most cruise lines do not begin processing passengers until after that time.

I found another sentence that said ARRIVE EARLY!

3. Q: How early should I arrive for my cruise?

A: Plan to arrive at least two hours before your scheduled departure time, but not before 11 a.m., as most cruise lines do not begin processing passengers until after that time.

I found another sentence that said ARRIVE EARLY!

Time: 11:00 am local-

Place: Port Everglades Security checkpoint

Setting: Beautiful day, temperature 79, SEABEE is arriving at Port for 10 day cruise

Action!

SEABEE: Good morning officer.

Officer: Good morning sir. Are you sailing today?

SEABEE: No Sir. I'm here to pick up my elderly parents who are returning from their cruise today.:D

Officer: Have a nice day.

Here's the email I got back from the Broward County Sheriff's Department. It seems the rule is because of a request from some cruise lines. Now all we need to do is find out which cruise lines requested this.

Several cruise lines have requested that all embarking passengers NOT enter the Port prior to 1 PM. This allows the cruise lines an opportunity to ensure the ships have shore staff ready and that all debarking passengers have been cleared.

>If we can be of assistance please let me know.

>Chief Dan Cummings

>Broward Sheriff's Office

>County and Domestic Security

>Port Everglades Interim Facility Security Officer

>954-765-4511

>954-468-0167

Archived