Wondering what happens with Port Canaveral being Closed

MLW070

I live in Palm Beach County and believe me, no one will be sitting on the deck having a martini Friday..........this is a category 4 storm and it is not going anywhere except up the coast of Florida if not directly onto the peninsula of Florida. By the way, Carnival has no control over the ports openings or closures. That is determined by each Port Authority......

Yes category 4 is not good, please be patient with the cruise lines. We currently left the treasure coast and are now waiting it out in the Florida panhandle. Matthew has changed its path and can continue to do so. Believe me the cruise line wants you money but safety first,

Update: Orlando is also under a hurricane warning. East Coast is in serious trouble. And they are saying it's possible Matthew will strengthen back to a Cat 4. There is also a good chance it will loop around and come back next week or so.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Now I am officially scared. We live in Melbourne.

That's why we left Port St Lucie lol be safe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We live in the Port Orange area a few miles from the beach..

People lets wish the best for the residents/homes and others in the path of this hurricane.

Yes vacations are very important even to me...

I had to drive over 90 miles to get propane for my generator and waited half an hour in line to top my gas off.

Some are acting like bullies.. I am very petite with recent rotator cuff surgery had to get out of my car to help this poor little old lady put gas in her car..

her credit/debit card wasn't working .... so I just paid it for her.

She wanted my number and I told her to pay it forward.

Remember vacations can be replace ... lives can't

We live in the Port Orange area a few miles from the beach..

People lets wish the best for the residents/homes and others in the path of this hurricane.

Yes vacations are very important even to me...

I had to drive over 90 miles to get propane for my generator and waited half an hour in line to top my gas off.

Some are acting like bullies.. I am very petite with recent rotator cuff surgery had to get out of my car to help this poor little old lady put gas in her car..

her credit/debit card wasn't working .... so I just paid it for her.

She wanted my number and I told her to pay it forward.

Remember vacations can be replace ... lives can't

What wonderful advice. I hope someone pays it forward to you... many times over. :)

I hate to be a Debbie downer, but a Cat 4 hurricane is going to make landfall near the space coast of FL. I lived in Brevard County, FL in 2004 when those hurricanes ( 3 of them hit FL - Charley, Ivan, and Frances) went through and it was devastating then. If the roads are not passable the Beachline 528 toll road will remain closed. Hotels are booked or evacuating people. A Cat 4 is devastating and catastrophic. If people can't fly in to Orlando Airport for their cruise this weekend, how can they still cruise? The ships left empty today. I am not sure what will happen, but the track is not good for Matthew. It *may* hit and then go an loop BACK around and hit FL. I moved back to FL in 2014 and it has to be my fault! I left FL in 2004 after our homeowners ins. tripled and came back and now Matthew!

I love to cruise and I always try to schedule them in Nov-Feb. because of hurricanes.

We sailed out of Galveston after Hurricane Rita hit. The Conquest stayed out an extra few days until NOAA declared the bay open. Conquest came in and we were able to go on a shortened cruise. It was actually pretty fun. Only about half of the passengers were on board and it seemed fairly empty. I imagine they will do something similar this time.

We were supposed to be on that cruise, but we evacuated and were not allowed to return to Houston until Tuesday. After the debacle of the evacuation, they made us return by zip code. (Yes they had police checking drivers licenses to see the zip code at the entrances to the highways).

Carnival called us and asked if we were able to take the cruise. We told them we could not because we were stuck in Dallas. They told us not to worry and refunded 100% of what we paid without even asking for a refund.

Hurricanes are a good reason why you should provide your cell phone number when doing the online check in. They do make every effort to contact you, but if you gave your home number and left home, you will be out of luck.

Edited by DebJ14

All Floridians do :-) My hubby was working a shelter with the Brevard County Sheriffs Office in 2004, as all deputies had to work them, and a homeless man in his shelter blew out his flip flop. My hubby had a bag of clothes as he couldn't leave and gave him his sandals. My hubby did look quite funny wearing black combat boots ( work boots) with his shorts when he was done with his shift. We all try to pay it forward that's for sure!!

Edited by OhShip1

Dang you... lol I do remember those hurricanes.. and even did my very first cruise after all the islands were destroyed and tendered to them..

Stay safe..:)

I hate to be a Debbie downer, but a Cat 4 hurricane is going to make landfall near the space coast of FL. I lived in Brevard County, FL in 2004 when those hurricanes ( 3 of them hit FL - Charley, Ivan, and Frances) went through and it was devastating then. If the roads are not passable the Beachline 528 toll road will remain closed. Hotels are booked or evacuating people. A Cat 4 is devastating and catastrophic. If people can't fly in to Orlando Airport for their cruise this weekend, how can they still cruise? The ships left empty today. I am not sure what will happen, but the track is not good for Matthew. It *may* hit and then go an loop BACK around and hit FL. I moved back to FL in 2014 and it has to be my fault! I left FL in 2004 after our homeowners ins. tripled and came back and now Matthew!

I love to cruise and I always try to schedule them in Nov-Feb. because of hurricanes.

uh shucks...

but thank you.... the way I look at it I know I will go to the golden gates..

too nice that the devil won't want me...:rolleyes:

What wonderful advice. I hope someone pays it forward to you... many times over. :)

Dang you... lol I do remember those hurricanes.. and even did my very first cruise after all the islands were destroyed and tendered to them..

Stay safe..:)

Thanks. You too. I live inland more now and we will still get hurricane winds! I always tell people I know to get travel insurance too. I always get it right after I book, just in case.

cnn just said that latest news says both the european and american models (for projecting trajectory, etc.) agree that the center of the storm is currently projected to hit at cape canaveral, which clearly is right around the corner from the port.

not looking awesome for port canaveral. when ike hit houston it knocked out galveston for a few weeks - thankfully houston had the foresight to build a cruise port that went unused for years just for that contingency. :rolleyes: lol. but sailings left from there for a while after damage to the terminal in galveston, which also took a direct hit.

We sailed out of Galveston after Hurricane Rita hit. The Conquest stayed out an extra few days until NOAA declared the bay open. Conquest came in and we were able to go on a shortened cruise. It was actually pretty fun. Only about half of the passengers were on board and it seemed fairly empty. I imagine they will do something similar this time.

I bet it was the chair hogs that didn't go!!![emoji12]

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

One concern is the B-Line, aka Highway 528. If you have been on this roadway before, you know that some parts are less than 10 feet above the water. Storm surge will cover this road, and make it impassible. And after the water recedes, the payment could be damaged which would prevent cruisers from reaching the port.

Close to a million local residents being evacuated and 3,000 not to be denied Carnival passengers headed into the jaws of the hurricane. No wonder they love baseball hats in the dining room.

Yeah, something just doesn't feel right about leaving out of GA. on Fri. to a place that is being evacuated. Everybody leaving and we are going. Go figure.

Edited by smarks

cnn just said that latest news says both the european and american models (for projecting trajectory, etc.) agree that the center of the storm is currently projected to hit at cape canaveral, which clearly is right around the corner from the port.

they didn't say it earlier, but now they say landfall at cape canaveral is friday 7am

I wonder what happens now with Port Canaveral being closed. I know a lot of boats were returning Friday through Sunday, We were suppose to go out from there on Saturday on the Magic. Do you think Carnival with change ports or stay out at Sea and delay other cruises? I know others have it a lot harder facing the storm but still can't help but wonder what our days ahead may hold.

They may need to dredge if too much silt gets in before any ships are allowed back. It has happened before back in 2004. The port was closed for a longer time.

I wonder what happens now with Port Canaveral being closed. I know a lot of boats were returning Friday through Sunday, We were suppose to go out from there on Saturday on the Magic. Do you think Carnival with change ports or stay out at Sea and delay other cruises? I know others have it a lot harder facing the storm but still can't help but wonder what our days ahead may hold.

The ship will stay out at sea.

There's a possibility they could bring the Magic into Fort Lauderdale and shuttle the returning passengers up to PC by bus and departing passengers down to Port Everglades by bus.

I've seen this a couple of times.

Yep, we were on RCCL's Mariner back when she was home ported in Port Canaveral. Ivan closed the port and dredging was required. We were told it be round trip from Miami. Flew in to Miami, did a Western instead of an Eastern and found out on day 5 that we'd be debarking at PC after all.

RCCL was very cool offering free phones for us to rebook and there was a shuttle for those who parked personal cars in Miami. We really lucked out with delta too who did not charge us change fees either way.

But that was 10 or 12 years ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep, we were on RCCL's Mariner back when she was home ported in Port Canaveral. Ivan closed the port and dredging was required. We were told it be round trip from Miami. Flew in to Miami, did a Western instead of an Eastern and found out on day 5 that we'd be debarking at PC after all.

How long after the hurricane was your departure? I'm on Magic two weeks from Friday. Really wishing I'd booked a room closer than Ormond Beach the night before.

How long after the hurricane was your departure? I'm on Magic two weeks from Friday. Really wishing I'd booked a room closer than Ormond Beach the night before.

Pretty sure Ivan hit the day before we were supposed to fly in the day before the cruise (so two or three days tops). We changed the flight to Miami and had no problem getting a pre cruise hotel on points 2 blocks off Miami Beach.

We were there between 2 hurricanes and oddly enough the weather was beautiful (calm before or after the storm) - but all the beachside shops were boarded up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums