Norwegian Jewel 10-Day September 17-27, 2016 Alaska Review

pnerissa

Finally I reached the lake, and it was quite the jewel nestled in the bow of the mountain. I hiked a ways down the lake trail and found an outcropping that I could sit on and just take in the view. I was so still in my viewing that a couple hiking past on the trail didn't even notice me gazing out over the lake. I contemplated taking off my shoes and dipping them in the water, but then thought better of it, thinking that my feet might swell after being freed from my boots and I'd never get them back in for the hike back down.

30590887253_cb9ba62c37_z.jpgLower Dewey Lake by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

31029409130_03e858d447_z.jpgLower Dewey Lake2 by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

While contemplating when to start back down, I reversed direction on the lake trail and headed toward the dam. This was a pleasant wooded trail that followed a babbling brook for some distance. I came to an intersection of decisions and wisely chose to head back down the way I had come up.

31283463701_b41331d623_z.jpgLower Dewey Lake3 by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

I was glad that I had decided to pace my hike, because going downhill was even more strenuous than the trek up. Although easier in one sense because I didn't have to rest as often, I chose to take smaller steps down the switchback to reduce strain on my knees. This was the second wisest decision that I made all day. I'd say after about a half hour or so of descent, I made my way to the bottom of the trail and my feet couldn't have been happier.

30576786744_fc66ebd77f_z.jpgLower Dewey Lake Trail3 by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

31283464101_9e30cb535c_z.jpgLower Dewey Lake2 by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

Though tired and barking, my tired feet still carried me forward into town in search of food, and along one of the main streets I made my first wisest decision... I let a man talk me into taking a shuttle up to the Klondike later that afternoon, but only after I made him promise that the shuttle would indeed drop me off back in front of the Jewel afterwards AND he had to tell me where I could procure lunch, which, fortunately for me was only a half-block of hobbling away. So, I purchased my ticket and headed off to find lunch.

Imagine my surprise when I hobbled into the nearly empty Sweet Tooth Cafe and found Melanie finishing her lunch toward the back of the restaurant. I hobbled over and suggested that she go down the street and book a tour with the shuttle company that I had just left. While she did that, I ordered and ate a rather delightful lunch of Fish & Chips while I discreetly elevated my feet for a few minutes underneath the table.

Once I was finally able to walk without hobbling, I took to the streets again. I had about an hour to kill so Melanie and I checked out some of the shops and I managed to score a few bargains before we rendezvoused with the shuttle.

Continued next post...

Now, if you'll recall from the day's first hike, Melanie was done with hiking. Oh, was she in store for a treat! Our first stop was the Gold Rush Cemetary and HIKE to Lower Reid Falls. I course I already knew about this but I had skillfully kept that little nugget of knowledge tucked away so that I could successfully complete my THIRD HIKE of the day!!! Go Glutton-For-Punishment ME!!!! The scowlful look I received from Melanie as the bus driver cheerfully led us all down the trail to the waterfall failed to shatter my resolve as I practically skipped along behind him.

30591636763_2cd38c653d_z.jpgCemetery Trail by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

31398860875_c567417b13_z.jpgLower Reid Falls by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

Honestly, this hike was only about a quarter mile in length, so it wasn't like I was dragging her up to Lower Dewey Lake, after all. The waterfall was very pretty and I took quite a few photographs of it while she battled off a pterodactyl-sized Alaskan mosquito. After a short stay, we all headed back to the shuttle and were off up the Klondyke Highway.

29493672044_75cae8d782_z.jpgCantilever bridge by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

30037768811_a5b7a9aae5_z.jpgMountain Goat by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

The views up the Klondyke were amazing and out driver was a fountain of knowledge. We laughed at all of his “witty” jokes and he obliged with a series of stops where we could photograph the best views. He hugged the rail over the cantilever bridge so everyone could stare straight down into the chasm, a moment that I could definitely have done without. But, on the other side of the bridge he pulled over again and let us all get off the bus to take pictures with the bridge as the backdrop. It was during this photo session that Melanie spotted mountain goats up the side of the mountain. Good eye!

31284409031_3aa7d2250a_z.jpgGlacier Lake by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

31254998902_38e65d4137_z.jpgBeverly by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

We continued on past the border to take photos at a large glacial lake and on the way back, the Welcome to Alaska sign. It was at the lake that I became critically aware that my little fleece jacket was no match for the brutal cold blowing down from the north and I quickly scurried back onto the bus. Eventually we made our way back down the mountain, and true to his word, the shuttle driver delivered us to the gangplank of our ship. Yay!

To be continued...

I can't wait to read the rest of your review! We are booked for the same cruise next year and I am just beginning to investigate our destinations, so I really appreciate the information and insight. We are in cabin 9108 so we aren't even far from your cabin :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't wait to read the rest of your review! We are booked for the same cruise next year and I am just beginning to investigate our destinations, so I really appreciate the information and insight. We are in cabin 9108 so we aren't even far from your cabin :)

Thanks! It took me months to figure out everything I wanted to do on our trip. My best advice is to be flexible and don't be afraid to step away from the mainstream tours.

I wish I could afford to go back next year, but it'll be a little while before I can do that trip again.

Bev

• 4 months later...