Amazing Experience

People who say that Progresso is a Joke, are just nutz. I won a cruise to Cozumel Mexico from our local radio station and because of the hurricane we ended up directing ourselves to Progresso. I left October 27, 2005 on the Fun Ship M.S. Elation to Progresso and had a blast on and off the ship. Yes Progresso is a beat down little fish hatchery place but the history and memories are just incredible. Myself, and my boyfriends mom decided to do the tour of Dzibulchultun and the Mexican Rodeo. What a blast. The scenery and old ruins were just gorgeous. You learn about it in history classes all through out highschool but the history books are nothing like seing them in person. The people that gudied us through the tour and the rodeo were the most polite and generous people. I myself at 20 years old have never been a tourist until this past weekend.

Its a great experience and for someone to say Progresso Mexico is a joke, really needs to get off their butt and experience the real things out their about that little town. I thank God for even being given the chance to travel to somewhere like that.:)

I'm so glad to hear that you had a great time. Our cruise will likely be diverted to Progresso as well and although I'm still a bit bummed I am excited to visit a new place. (I did the Western Carribean cruise in May)

We are also planning to visit the Dzibilchaltun ruins so I have a ton of questions for you. I hope you don't mind...

1. Did you book the tour through the cruise line or did you do it on your own?

2. Can you climb the ruins?

3. Did you visit the Cenote that is near the ruins?

4. How long did it take you to get there from the ship?

Also, just wondering if Veracruz was your other port and if so, any thoughts on that port?

I just got back last night from the Inspiration and we were diverted to Progreso.

My friend and I took the Dzibilchaltun ruins trip (without the rodeo though). It took a little under an hour in the bus to get there. We booked through the cruise line. It was 55 dollars I think and worth it for our peace of mind. The tour guides were wonderful. We had a lovely married couple.

Once we got there, they had bottled water and canned Sprite for us for free. They led us around for a about an hour and a half giving history, etc. We then had about another hour and a half to explore on our own. We did go to the senote. My friend swam and I waded. It was so clear and beautiful lily pads. We climbed 3 of the ruins.

Because we took the shorter tour, we still had a couple of hours to shop in town. They had an open air market with vendors. We were able to bargain a little. We didn't have time to go much past that before having to get back to the ship, but others said the town was very interesting. They also had shops at the end of the pier where the ship was docked.

We were very pleasantly surprised with Progreso. And the Inspiration was a blast. The crew were great and the food was great and the beds really are SO comfortable. I won 2 "Ships on a Stick", the shows were great.

We are already planning for our next cruise!

Hdawson,

Years ago, you sent me a ton of pictures of Progreso (Merida). Can you please re-send those. I can't post my email address here, but can you post your email address here for a quick moment? The girls and I are going there for a week next month and I would love to see where I'm going!

• 2 months later...

I have never actually been to Progreso, but have been to many parts of Mexico. I have however researched a lot about the area , and if it is possible, I have managed to fall in love with the place without actually having been there. In May this year I plan to fly to Merida and explore the Progreso area with the hope of locating real estate that is suitable for a future vacation and retirement home.

I am happy to hear from those that are happy with the area.

Riviera Maya maybe beautiful, but I cannot afford 200-300,000 for a home I use only 2 months a year.

Archived