Star class and dining reservations

klepton

I've been following the star class threads and read several reviews. I've noticed that getting your preferred dining times/venues appears to be hit-or-miss if you wait to have your Genie do it.

As dining reservations are available for my April cruise on the Harmony, I figured I'd ask if anyone else has any experience they'd like to share. I'm inclined to make the reservations now so I get the times I want, but wanted to see if the Genies had been more effective recently.

If your reservations are available now, go ahead and book them. You should have almost every time available (our May sailing on Anthem does, just booked them today!). Whilst on board you can always have your Genie alter the reservations, although the Concierge is GENERALLY the one I would see for dinner reservations. Haven't had the pleasure of having a Genie yet.

Although from my experience and the reviews I've read I would have no hesitation waiting until I boarded - if it's a make or break for you, you should absolutely book ahead and then get refunded on board. Why risk being unhappy over something so easily fixed?

If you make reservations, won't you have to pay in advance for the dining? With star class specialty dining is included, so I think this makes it a function of the Genie unless I'm just totally crazy.

From what I understand, you pay when you reserve and your genie get's those amounts refunded to you as OBC when you get onboard. That's a minor hassle, as I already have a mountain of OBC for this cruise and likely won't use it all. But as long as it's refundable OBC that shouldn't be a problem.

The Genie takes care of the refund once you board.

Your question is still a tough one though. The answer is dependent on the competency of your Genie and the popularity of venues with your fellow cruisers that particular week. Two factors that make it impossible to get the perfect answer. Personally I'd risk it. But like I said, if this is one of those really important things to you, you should book ahead.

One more thought. Cruise planner is available until 3 days before you sail. If your Genie emails you 7-14 days out, you can ask him or her to guarantee the times you picked and still have time to refund to your original form of payment through the Cruise planner before the planner closes.

Edited by MattInFLL

The Genie takes care of the refund once you board.

Your question is still a tough one though. The answer is dependent on the competency of your Genie and the popularity of venues with your fellow cruisers that particular week. Two factors that make it impossible to get the perfect answer. Personally I'd risk it. But like I said, if this is one of those really important things to you, you should book ahead.

One more thought. Cruise planner is available until 3 days before you sail. If your Genie emails you 7-14 days out, you can ask him or her to guarantee the times you picked and still have time to refund to your original form of payment through the Cruise planner before the planner closes.

Thanks for your insights Matt, as always it is much appreciated! I think I'll take your suggestion and make reservations and cancel if the Genie confirms the times I want, or take the OBC onboard worst case.