Sailing Oct 16th to Western Caribbean - Haiti questions

weskelly

Hi everyone! Just a couple days away from our flight and I'm getting so excited. I can't see any weather/itinerary updates on RC's site past Oct 7th - has there been an update?

As far as I've seen, Labadee is ok?

There were some threads going last week about bringing supplies to Haiti and we are wanting to do something. I was talking with family and someone suggested water purification tablets. Does anyone know if these are an "ok" item to bring in bulk? I don't see why not, but I'd hate to pack a bunch of them to just get tossed or not allowed off the ship.

Thank you! That's good news for the sailing! My heart hurts so much for the island and people of Haiti though. I want to bring things that would help. Initially I thought school supplies, but as I watch the news and hear of the devastation, they are in desperate need of food, water, and shelter. I thought the purification tablets may help and was thinking of bringing a bunch of granola bars, too. I have some Chico bags that scrunch up really small that I can bring down as well that I'm sure will help. Clean gauze pads and medical tape are light and would pack easily as well.

All ideas are welcome! We are trying to only bring one checked bag plus our carry ons and space is limited. Although I may just check a backpack full of things to bring down. That way we can leave the backpack as well and not worry about bringing home that extra piece.

I know you would love to personally give something to someone you meet on your trip, but if you want to make a difference consider donating money to one of the charitable organizations that are organizing relief efforts. There are many good ones, Red Cross, Salvation Army, Doctors without Borders....the money you provide will buy exactly what the victims of Matthew need. If you feel you must do something personally while you are there then patronize the open air market and buy a bracelet or two from a local.

Bringing things to the island that you don't know for sure is what they need and if RCC isn't set up to help with that most likely is a waste of your time and money.

I know you would love to personally give something to someone you meet on your trip, but if you want to make a difference consider donating money to one of the charitable organizations that are organizing relief efforts. There are many good ones, Red Cross, Salvation Army, Doctors without Borders.

I would also suggest doing research before donating to any organization. I don't know if this article is still valid, but it questions what Red Cross advertises as the percentage of what gets donated actually goes to help people.

https://www.propublica.org/article/red-cross-ceo-has-been-misleading-about-donations