Thinking of trying X

VernRDH

Hi to all the X experts. Have a few questions and am hoping for some help.

Here goes:

We are a family of 3-me DH and DD (currently age 6). We have sailed RCI 3 times and are headed on our 4th in a few weeks. We were thinking of trying something different and since the loyalty program extends to both RCI and X we thought we might try it.

We are looking to travel in early Dec. 2007 (schedules are not out yet I know). We have done the Bahamas 2x and the western 2x(after this upcoming trip). We are interested in the Millenium 7 night eastern cruise and would like to book a Concierge Class verandah cabin.

So here is what I need to know:

-How does the Millenium compare to say Voyager or Jewel? We did VOS in 03 and JOS is up next. Trying to get an idea of the size of the ship and decor.

-How is the CC verandah cabin? Spacious for 3? DD will be 8 when we take this trip, so the sofa sleeper is just fine for her. Are there perks for this category of cabin? I thought I read that somewhere. What category is is comparable to on RCI?

-How is the Youth club on X? DD loves loves loves AO on RCI and while I understand that X may have an older crowd, I assume that there are kids on the ship.

-How would you rate the entertainment and food?

-How about the itinerary? We have not done eastern and would love to see new ports. Any highly recommend/avoid things to do/see?

-Will we like X if we have only done RCI?

I may pop over to my TA's office today to get a brochure so I can see ship layouts and the like. I REALLY want an aft cabin (I finally got a hump cabin, so I gotta try aft next) but those are so few I will have to book as soon as the date come out.

TIA for any help you can offer.

Having sailed Adventure and Brilliance on RCI and Infinity on X, let me see if I can answer a few of your questions:

1. Millenium (M-class) and Jewel (Radiance class) are built on the same hull. That being said, we find the Radiance class ships to be gorgeous: lots of glass, huge 9-story centrum, well-laid out, lovely decor. Infinity was attractive, but not in the same class. The passenger capacity on the M-class ships is 1,950 and the size is 91,000 tons, 965 feet in length and 105 in width. The Radiance class ships have a capacity of 2,501 and the other sizes are almost exactly the same. The Voyager class ships are huge in comparison: passenger capacity of 3,114, 138,000 tons, 1020 feet in length and 157 feet in width. There is no Royal Promenade on the smaller ships.

2. The standard CC cabin size is almost the same as the cabins on Jewel and the D1s on Voyager, just laid out differently (bed near the door, larger shower, better designed bathroom IMHO). There should be more than enough room for three of you for a 7-day cruise, although I don't know how comfortable the sleeper sofa is, having never slept on it. There are perks with the CC cabin like better towels and a rug in the bathroom, flowers, daily fruit basket, better breakfast room service menu, umbrella and binoculars for use onboard, bathrobes, afternoon canapes and champagne in your cabin on arrival.

3. don't know

4. We found the food and service on Infinity to be superior to RCI, and honestly didn't see too many of the shows on X. However, of those we did see, we thought the entertainment on Brilliance was better.

5. I'll leave this to someone else.

6. Since I don't know you, it's difficult to answer that question. We sailed three Princess cruises, followed by three RCI cruises, followed by one X cruise, and we very much enjoyed all of them, but X leads the pack for now. In fact, our next three cruises are booked with Celebrity. We've sailed twice in an aft on Brilliance and loved it, so we are looking forward to our first X aft in a few weeks. They are definitely difficult to reserve.

Hope this helped somewhat. I'm sure you'll get many other opinions here, and I'm guessing most of them will be positive on Celebrity. :)

Hi to all the X experts. Have a few questions and am hoping for some help.

Here goes:

We are a family of 3-me DH and DD (currently age 6). We have sailed RCI 3 times and are headed on our 4th in a few weeks. We were thinking of trying something different and since the loyalty program extends to both RCI and X we thought we might try it.

TIA for any help you can offer.

Just a point of clarification - not sure if any of your 4 cruises counted for more than one point:

The loyalty programs only extend reciprocal benefits for the over 5 cruise level. You would have to be at the platinum or above level on RCL before you would be able to join the Captains club before cruising Celebrity. If you are at the gold C&A level, you have to wait until you cruise Celebrity in order to join the captain's club.

Platinum (RCL) = Select (Celeb)

Diamond (RCL) = Elite (Celeb)

Also each line counts their cruises separately - you cannot combine them to move up to the next level.

3. Kids club is nice on the Celebrity line. Every time I see them they are busy...busy... Depending on the time of year you go will give you the larger or smaller number of children on the boat. They also have their own kids play room and an arcade on the ship.

4. Food and service on Celebrity is a step above just about all cruise lines at sea.

5. Hit the beach. Meghans bay is very nice.

6. Yes. Difficult to answer. The cruise lines structure themselves differently. It will be what your looking for. Celebrity does not have a roak wall, trampoline jumping a surf area.

Archived