New NCL DAWN route to Bermuda/Bahamas - need booking advise!

SanFranBayCruiser

Well, I've been threatening to try NCL and specifically the Dawn for years and, now I finally have a new excuse to give it a try! My TA forwarded an announcement from NCL that she received stating that NCL would be going to Bermuda and the Bahamas in 2006. Here is the email:

NORWEGIAN DAWN FROM NEW YORK TO BERMUDA

Ship to also feature new 7-day fall itinerary featuring three Bahamian ports of call

NCL today announced that its New York year round ship Norwegian Dawn will begin calling into Bermuda for the 2006-2007 summer seasons. Norwegian Dawn's new seven-day itinerary with calls both into Bermuda and the Bahamas is an industry exclusive and will feature a day in Bermuda, a day at NCL's private island Great Stirrup Cay and an overnight in Nassau.

The new seven-day itinerary leaves New York on Saturdays beginning May 13, 2006 and runs through the August 26, 2006 cruise. The itinerary is on sale now.

"Bermuda is an extremely popular cruise destination and is a favorite of cruise passengers," said Colin Veitch, NCL's president and CEO. "Cruising to Bermuda on one of our state-of-the art Freestyle Cruising vessels, combined with a visit to our private island and Nassau, is an unbeatable cruise vacation for those who want to experience wonderful, pristine beaches and fun in the sun."

After its new Bermuda/Bahamas season, Norwegian Dawn will then commence its previously published Canada/New England cruises.

On October 15, the ship sails a new seven-day itinerary featuring Florida and three ports in the Bahamas. The ship will call into Port Canaveral/Orlando; Grand Bahama, Bahamas; Great Stirrup Cay; and overnight in Nassau. NCL is offering this itinerary through the November 26, 2006 cruise. The ship then returns to its previously published 10- and 11-day Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries. The on-sale date for this itinerary will be announced shortly.

NCL deployed Norwegian Dawn in New York year round in May of 2003. The move has been widely embraced by travel agents and consumers to the extent that NCL will homeport another ship year round in the Big Apple, Norwegian Spirit beginning in November. The company also deploys a seasonal ship, Norwegian Crown, in New York for the past two summer seasons.

Cruise passengers have an unprecedented amount of choice out of New York with NCL, including: 1-day cruises to nowhere-a great way to learn about an NCL ship; six-day cruises to Orlando and the Bahamas-perfect for families; seven-day cruises to Bermuda and the Bahamas; eight-day cruises to the Eastern Caribbean; and 10- and 11-day cruises to the Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean.

For those passengers booked on the previously published Norwegian Dawn seven-day Florida/Bahamas itinerary who want to move to the six-day Florida/Bahamas itinerary on Norwegian Spirit will receive up to a three category upgrade or an onboard credit of $50. Otherwise, bookings will be moved to the new seven-day Bermuda/Bahamas itinerary with NCL protecting the original rate.

For those passengers booked on the previously published Norwegian Dawn 10- and 11-day Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries who want to move to the new Florida/Bahamas seven-day itinerary will receive the seven-day rate and up to a three category upgrade or receive an onboard credit of $50.

About NCL Corporation

NCL Corporation ("NCL") is an innovative cruise company headquartered in Miami, Florida. With a fleet of 15 ships in service and under construction, the corporation oversees the operations of Norwegian Cruise Line, NCL America and Orient Lines.

On June 17, 2005, NCL made U.S. maritime history when it christened Pride of America, the largest U.S. Flagged passenger ship ever built and the first new one in half a century. The 2,138 passenger ship is 100 percent U.S.-crewed, and sails year-round in Hawai`i under the NCL America brand alongside Pride of Aloha and Norwegian Wind from sister brand, Norwegian Cruise Line.

NCL took delivery of its newest Freestyle Cruising vessel, the 93,502-ton Norwegian Jewel on August 4, 2005.

The company is currently building three ships, including one more for the NCL America brand in Hawai`i - Pride of Hawai`i (delivery in April 2006) and two further Norwegian Jewel class ships, which are scheduled for delivery in 2007.

------------------

MY QUESTIONS

1) I know NCL Dawn has small cabins, we always book a balcony. Which Category do you recommend?

2) My brother and his wife will surely be interested in this cruise. Please tell me if they have babysitting services for a 10 month old baby. Also are cribs available?

3) Which are the BEST paid restaurants?

Thanks!

We have yet to sail on the Dawn (April still seems a long way off) but I can give you some info on cabin sizes.

Balcony cabins in categories BE to BA are 166 square feet + 37 sq ft

Mini-suites, category AF are 229 square feet + balcony of 54 sq ft

There are some aft facing BA cabins which may have a slightly larger balcony.

A good website for deck plans is NCL's Europe site

http://eu.ncl.com/ncl-eu/index_fleet.html

Just click on the Dawn then scroll down the page and click on the deckplans. This gives an Acrobat file so it can be enlarged and everything remains in the right proportions.

Many people on these boards are regulars on the Dawn and will be able to give more specific answers to your questions.

We have had a cat. BB for both of our cruises on the Dawn. The cabin is about the same as other balcony cabins we have had. Not tiny, but not huge. You could get a mini-suite if you want the extra room. I don't know the answer to the babysitting question. Le Bistro was my favorite. Everything we had was amazing. You have to try the chocolate fondue. Yum!

Christie

One of the best "deals" available is the Honeymoon / Anniversary Package (Bon Voyage Gift). It doesn't have to be an anniverary to purchase it. It includes "champagne" and chocolate strawberries on embarkation, an invite to a champagne and cake party, a photo, and a meal for 2 at Le Bistro with a bottle of house wine. Something we'll definitely be buying for our April cruise.

Archived