Lost scooter on Grandeur of the Seas

It sounds like they were just being too trusting. The RC employee sounded like the authority and your grandparents thought they must know what they're doing, so instead of asking questions or asserting their own knowledge of that they were told to do, they gave in and handed them over.

It's possible that the RC employees turned them in to one of those other companies, which might very well have the 2 scooters sitting in a warehouse somewhere because they don't know where they belong; perhaps you should call those other 2 companies and see if they have 2 extra scooters.

It is an unfortunate situation, especially since RC is giving you no help, but I have to agree with the other people who have said that it really probably is your grandparents fault. As adults they should have known better than to leave rented items without getting a receipt that they turned them in, or should not have allowed someone to tell them to leave the scooters on the ship when it was their clear understanding that they were supposed to take them somewhere else. At the very least, they could have gone to the drop off place and told them that they were not allowed to bring the scooters off the ship, and let them know where they were.

I can see how they put faith in the process and left them there though, and I'm sorry it didn't work out, I hope that you track them down before they are forced to pay for them, but I'm not sure they'll really have much recourse if they are charged, since it is, in hindsight, their fault. I guess life lessons continue to be learned at all ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with this 100%, it's easy to see how they would assume that the ship staff knows what they are talking about, and if it was their first time renting scooters, they wouldn't know any different. Of course that doesn't absolve them of their responsibility unfortunately, but RCI should be doing more to try and help them resolve it.

We just returned 10/22 from Grandeur, and there was a scooter parked outside CHOPS for most of the trip. I just don't remember if it was still there yesterday when we disembarked. And it was only 1 scooter.

It sounds like they were just being too trusting. The RC employee sounded like the authority and your grandparents thought they must know what they're doing, so instead of asking questions or asserting their own knowledge of that they were told to do, they gave in and handed them over.

It's possible that the RC employees turned them in to one of those other companies, which might very well have the 2 scooters sitting in a warehouse somewhere because they don't know where they belong; perhaps you should call those other 2 companies and see if they have 2 extra scooters.

It is an unfortunate situation, especially since RC is giving you no help, but I have to agree with the other people who have said that it really probably is your grandparents fault. As adults they should have known better than to leave rented items without getting a receipt that they turned them in, or should not have allowed someone to tell them to leave the scooters on the ship when it was their clear understanding that they were supposed to take them somewhere else. At the very least, they could have gone to the drop off place and told them that they were not allowed to bring the scooters off the ship, and let them know where they were.

I can see how they put faith in the process and left them there though, and I'm sorry it didn't work out, I hope that you track them down before they are forced to pay for them, but I'm not sure they'll really have much recourse if they are charged, since it is, in hindsight, their fault. I guess life lessons continue to be learned at all ages.

As I stated in post #23 the only reason that the Ships Security would stop them from taking the scooter off this ship was if the scooter had the large stickers denoting CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSea. Being that there is always a large amount of rental scooters on board and that the number one rental scooter is the Pride Go there's also another thing to consider. The Pride GoGo scooter key is not unique as car keys are and can operate any Pride GoGo. So the possibility does exist that sometime during the cruise the OP's parents either mistakenly took other passengers scooters that were rented from CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSeas. Or perhaps when the waiters in main dining room parked the scooter after they had been seated mistakenly returned the wrong scooter to the OP's parents and that parents did not verify that it was their rental.

I rent scooters for cruises all the time and have never have heard of the ship's security stopping anyone from a taking a scooter if the scooter was not marked as being a rental from http://www.CareVacations.com and or http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com .I have seen where on embarkation day where ship's personnel has questioned someone taking off a scooter that was clearly marked as being a rental from http://www.Carevacations.com to inquire if their rental agreement included a post cruise hotel stay to make certain that it was not be left on ship for pickup. Security really does not concern themselves with scooters that are not labeled as being from CareVacations and or SpecialNeedsatSea which are RCCL's two approved providers that delivery to and pick up from the ship directly.

Note to OP : The number 1 rental scooter is the Pride GoGo whether it be from a local provider or from of RCCL's approved rental provider. If the scooters rented locally were indeed a Pride GoGo than if they were a Red Pride GoGo check with http://www.CareVacations.com. If Blue Pride GoGo than check with http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com. Either way it's a long shot that either company has the missing scooters as they generally only remove the scooters that are clearly marked as theirs and have a registry number that ties back to rental agreement as well as cabin number to the passenger that actually rented it for that particularly cruise.

Edited by xxoocruiser

As I stated in post #23 the only reason that the Ships Security would stop them from taking the scooter off this ship was if the scooter had the large stickers denoting CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSea. Being that there is always a large amount of rental scooters on board and that the number one rental scooter is the Pride Go there's also another thing to consider. The Pride GoGo scooter key is not unique as car keys are and can operate any Pride GoGo. So the possibility does exist that sometime during the cruise the OP's parents either mistakenly took other passengers scooters that were rented from CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSeas. Or perhaps when the waiters in main dining room parked the scooter after they had been seated mistakenly returned the wrong scooter to the OP's parents and that parents did not verify that it was their rental.

I rent scooters for cruises all the time and have never have heard of the ship's security stopping anyone from a taking a scooter if the scooter was not marked as being a rental from http://www.CareVacations.com and or http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com .I have seen where on embarkation day where ship's personnel has questioned someone taking off a scooter that was clearly marked as being a rental from http://www.Carevacations.com to inquire if their rental agreement included a post cruise hotel stay to make certain that it was not be left on ship for pickup. Security really does not concern themselves with scooters that are not labeled as being from CareVacations and or SpecialNeedsatSea which are RCCL's two approved providers that delivery to and pick up from the ship directly.

Note to OP : The number 1 rental scooter is the Pride GoGo whether it be from a local provider or from of RCCL's approved rental provider. If the scooters rented locally were indeed a Pride GoGo than if they were a Red Pride GoGo check with http://www.CareVacations.com. If Blue Pride GoGo than check with http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com. Either way it's a long shot that either company has the missing scooters as they generally only remove the scooters that are clearly marked as theirs and have a registry number that ties back to rental agreement as well as cabin number to the passenger that actually rented it for that particularly cruise.

I hear what you're saying and this certainly is a possibility, but even if this is what happened, the ship has 2 extra scooters somewhere that they can't account for. If her grandparents got someone else's scooters, then those 2 people got theirs, and at some point when they all got turned on or left on the ship, there should be 2 that weren't supposed to be left there. So where are they?

I hear what you're saying and this certainly is a possibility, but even if this is what happened, the ship has 2 extra scooters somewhere that they can't account for. If her grandparents got someone else's scooters, then those 2 people got theirs, and at some point when they all got turned on or left on the ship, there should be 2 that weren't supposed to be left there. So where are they?

Agree !

Regrettably the OP's parents are still on the hook for the replacement cost as per the terms and conditions of the rental agreement for such equipment.

Hopefully the OP will come back to update.

Did you not have the rental agreement from the company to show security that the scooters were not from CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSea? Was the scooter marked with the rental company name and phone number ? If so did no one get on the phone to the rental company and explain everything to the ships security? Regrettably the fact that your parents relinquished the scooters over to the Ships Security that does make them responsible for the replacement cost. The rental agreement regardless if it's from one of RCCL's approved vendors or an outside vender such as the one your parents use holds the renter responsible for all damage and lost costs.

The only reason that the Ships Security would stop them from taking the scooter of is if the scooter had the large stickers denoting CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSea. Being that there is always a large amount of rental scooters on board and that the number one rental scooter is the Pride Go there's also another thing to consider. The Pride GoGo scooter key is not unique as car keys are and can operate any Pride GoGo. So the possibility does exist that sometime during the cruise your parents mistakenly took other passengers scooters that were rented from CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSeas.

If this is what happened it most likely occurred when the waiters parked the scooters during dinner. I always place a cruise line luggage tag as well as tie a bright neon green scarf on mine to make certain that I get the right scooter returned. Even if this is what happened to your parents unfortunately the fault is not RCCL's as it was your parents responsibility to check that they got the correct scooter.

Hope you reach a resolution to this matter.

I like the luggage tag and scarf idea-- I will do that!