Heathrow-Southampton 12 dayCar Rental

WisRiver

We (two people) are planning on taking the QM2 from Southampton in June, 2017. We are thinking of a twelve day driving trip to Scotland. We will arrive at Heathrow and want to drop at Southampton. Any experiences with or suggestions for a car rental company that would meet our needs?

All rental companies will allow car drop-off at a different location from pick-up.

As each company have different prices, pick what's right for you.

You should have no problem with booking a car.

Be mindful... from LHR up to Scotland will take some hours and the traffic can often be insane.

Think about taking the train to yr Scottish starting point and collecting a car from their.... with drop off at Southampton.

This way you'll save hours and hours of time.

Oh and less the stress and head ache.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with Wellard. The long drive North from Heathrow involves using one of the busiest motorways in Europe - The M25 and then the M1. To take that on after a long flight seems to not be a good idea. The drive itself is on motorway for much of the time and is pretty boring. The cost of motoring here is also a lot higher than you will be used to - typically, the cost of fuel alone is around 17p a mile (and rising) for an automatic petrol car. (Diesel would be cheaper, but diesel automatics are not common.)

If you flew to Edinburgh, or better still, Aberdeen, you would have a much more relaxing start to your tour. and be able to work your way South, avoiding London altogether.

Alternatively, if it's really Scotland that you want to see, consider leaving the car there and flying or catching a train, to Southampton.

Edited by Bob++

All the major operators offer one-way rentals Heathrow / Southampton, and various Scottish cities / Southampton. For car rentals, traffic laws, passports etc, England & Scotland (& Wales) are all the same country.

Names you may not know in the US include Europcar, National, SixT.

You'll need to compare each operators' terms for your particular needs.

Although the main roads are as good as in the US, the smaller roads can be narrow & twisty but still quite busy. And parking can be problematic in town centres. So I suggest you aim for quite a small car, but since you're likely to be making stops between hotels make it one that will accommodate your luggage out-of-sight - crime rates are low, but you don't want luggage in an unattended car to be a temptation.

I agree with the others, flying to Scotland does cut out the long drive north.

Assuming you want to see bits of England (& mebbe Wales) as well, you can do that by meandering from Scotland down to Southampton.

JB :)

I have rented a car at Heathrow and dropped in Southampton. Used Hertz, reason I picked it was they had a drop location walking distance to Grand Harbour Hotel where I was staying night before boarding QM2. Hertz wasn't the only one though convenient walking, but had best rates at the time I booked so check all of them and consider any logistics to your specific plans arriving in Southampton.

As others have mentioned, flying to Scotland may be a better option, it's short and cheap, or you can book transatlantic flights directly into Glasgow or Edinburgh then you are only driving one way.

I have rented a car at Heathrow and dropped in Southampton. Used Hertz, reason I picked it was they had a drop location walking distance to Grand Harbour Hotel where I was staying night before boarding QM2. Hertz wasn't the only one though convenient walking, but had best rates at the time I booked so check all of them and consider any logistics to your specific plans arriving in Southampton.

As others have mentioned, flying to Scotland may be a better option, it's short and cheap, or you can book transatlantic flights directly into Glasgow or Edinburgh then you are only driving one way.

Which reminds me, Avis has an inconvenient drop-off at Southampton - its depot is out at Southampton airport, a 20 minute / £20 taxi ride from the cruise terminals. Don't rule them out because of that, but bear it in mind with your price comparisons.

Also bear in mind that some of the depots in Southampton aren't open on sundays.

Which reminds me, Avis has an inconvenient drop-off at Southampton - its depot is out at Southampton airport, a 20 minute / £20 taxi ride from the cruise terminals. Don't rule them out because of that, but bear it in mind with your price comparisons.

Also bear in mind that some of the depots in Southampton aren't open on sundays.

Yes, Avis is inconvenient but they didn't used to be until they closed their port location and only operate from SOU. Years ago they were the most convenient, I can recall using them arriving on the QE2, they set up a desk onboard the ship after it docked, you could do all your paperwork and payment before disembarking, then just walk to the car lot.

For me, it would have to be exceptionally cheaper to go through the inconvenience of dropping or picking up at SOU, would have to be even more of a difference than just the taxi fare....but that's just me, I will pay for convenience and don't always go the very cheapest route...unless, again, it's significant. Same goes with flights, I'll pay more for a nonstop.

Good point on the days/times locations can be closed, but if you try to book when the location is closed, the booking system won't let you book it. But it's a good idea to be mindful of the closed days/times in case you've entered your drop day and/or time incorrectly or youve changed your arrival plans after you've booked.....or the system has some glitch that allows you to book it even if its closed.

....for an automatic petrol car. (Diesel would be cheaper, but diesel automatics are not common.).

Not all Americans require an automatic :). I have always driven a manual and have never owned an automatic. It does take a little getting used to shifting with my left hand instead of right but the pedals are in the same order, I'm not a rare case either, I know quite a few people who prefer manuals.

Not all Americans require an automatic :). I have always driven a manual and have never owned an automatic. It does take a little getting used to shifting with my left hand instead of right but the pedals are in the same order, I'm not a rare case either, I know quite a few people who prefer manuals.

I am aware of that, but for most, coping with a stick shift, as well as a strange country, can be more than a little daunting. If you can cope though - it does save quite a bit on the rental cost as well as the fuel (if using a diesel).

I am aware of that, but for most, coping with a stick shift, as well as a strange country, can be more than a little daunting. If you can cope though - it does save quite a bit on the rental cost as well as the fuel (if using a diesel).

That is probably true for people who own and regularly drive an automatic but know how to drive a manual. But for a regular manual driver it's more daunting not having that clutch pedal you're used to. Yes, a bit cheaper to rent and I honestly don't know what some people who can only drive an automatic do if the rental company is out of them, you can reserve one but there's never a guarantee you'll actually get what you reserve.