Cruising over Christmas

dna529

We will be cruising over the week before and during Christmas this year. How did you handle presents if you have cruised that week before? We have two kids- ages 10 and 13. Thinking of just filling stockings. Do they have lots of Christmas activities on board?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We will be cruising over the week before and during Christmas this year. How did you handle presents if you have cruised that week before? We have two kids- ages 10 and 13. Thinking of just filling stockings. Do they have lots of Christmas activities on board?

I would definitely suggest having your regular family Christmas either before your cruise, or after. Having just stockings on the ship, is the best idea. Having to lug a bunch of regular presents on board, would be a hassle.

Just wrap a few small gifts for each child, and place in their stockings. Hang them up on Christmas eve, and they would still have some things to open on Christmas morning. Sounds like a wonderful cruise. Have fun.:)

Edited by GranysT

Are there small items you could wrap and bring? Such as hand held video game system of some sort? A new outfit that would be fun for the cruise? Gift cards to GameStop or other cool place? A cool magazine subscription? Books?

If it were me, I would do my main xmas celebration before leaving, and then bring some of the items I mentioned above to open on the ship.

OK nobody bash me because my kids are clearly spoiled. I own it. Christmas is always a big blow out for them (we limit birthday gifts to 3 however). If you look in my posts you will see answers about Christmas, but yes, there are plenty of themed things from snow to santa to carols to a service to a show.

So here is how we did it last year, with our sons, then 11 and 17. I went to my local favorite all-purpose store T...arget. I found a set of 2 collapsible (make sure flame retarding) tinsel trees (no lights - really cool because they swayed with the boat), one for the boys room and one for ours. I got giant gel stickers shaped like Christmas lights and put them around the mirror in each room. And in our room, I hung 4 command hooks with 4 dollar tree stockings. The trees are collapsed and in my closet waiting for this year's trip, along with the gel lights. The stockings went into the trash.

I packed a spare suitcase (we carried this on the plane with us and checked out other bags) filled with the "goodies", two rolls of dollar tree wrapping paper, tape, gift bags and tissue paper. Everything we shopped for was small. They both got new point an shoot cameras, 3DS's, games, a case for the 3DS, a small game or puzzle, DVDs, a funny book, themed stuff to their interests (Dr. Who pen and tardis t-shirt vs. redskins jersey, mini foot ball, mini frizbee for example). etc. We also bought them t-shirts from the cruise shop and wrapped those up. They also always get x-mass pjs on Christmas eve. For stockings we put in the standard stuff like candy, socks, school supplies - that stuff is small anyway. There are TONS of small ideas that we didn't do like watches, headphones, tablets, gift cards etc. But I had AT LEAST 10 gifts for each kid plus the stocking, all in that suitcase, easily.

Hubby and I even did Christmas for us (we limited ourselves to stockings) - but with ties, cufflinks, tablets, jewelry, tickets etc, it was really easy.

I am SO SO SO glad that I did all this - my son was a senior in High School and I don't know how many more of these memories I will get. I will forever remember everyone crowded on our bed, relaxing with juice and coffee and tea and muffins (had room service delivered at 7 am) as we opened up stuff. Warm sunny weather is beautiful but didn't feel like Christmas 100% until that morning, where we exchanged a bright fireplace for a sunny balcony. It was a sea day and our last aboard the ship so we went down for sea day brunch and capped off a wonderful Christmas morning.

Happy Christmas cruisin!

We are cruising Christmas as well. I am a single mom of 4 (only 3 coming along:( but this is it. With all the ports and the cruise, it is all that I can do. And to be honest, it is hurting my heart. Even on the worst years, we always do stockings. I asked my kids not to do anything for me as us being together is enough. But they are not feeling good about not doing anything. This is also the first time in many years that I have flown to port. I do not know how to get anything there without having to pay for more luggage. However, if we were home, they would not have presents that even got near to a cruise. So I hope all is well. When we get home, they will have a large Christmas celebration with their father.

We are cruising Christmas as well. I am a single mom of 4 (only 3 coming along:( but this is it. With all the ports and the cruise, it is all that I can do. And to be honest, it is hurting my heart. Even on the worst years, we always do stockings. I asked my kids not to do anything for me as us being together is enough. But they are not feeling good about not doing anything. This is also the first time in many years that I have flown to port. I do not know how to get anything there without having to pay for more luggage. However, if we were home, they would not have presents that even got near to a cruise. So I hope all is well. When we get home, they will have a large Christmas celebration with their father.

The memory of the cruise will far out weight the gifts that were given. I was able to spoil mine rotten and I just asked my 12 year old and confirmed that he remembers being on the Sunshine and what we did in the ports well but can only remember a few gifts. I understand that it hurts your heart but you are giving everyone an amazing family gift. And if you are religious, then you know that those memories are far more in line with the reason for the season...

I too will be on the splendor for Christmas. About a month ago, I went to hobby lobby, they had a 50% off sale on all christmas items. Watch and you can find the sales. I bought a tree, 2 sets of bulbs (like 20), a tree topper, some mini lights (real, lit by battery), and even a skirt. All for $20. This is our first year of not really doing Christmas and opting for the cruise instead, but I'm still doing a little bit. It's just my parents and me. We're also going to do the steakhouse for a Christmas eve dinner.

As far as gifts, I am someone who shops year round for christmas... I look for deals and stick stuff back. Guess my stuff will be stuck back for another year but I decided to get my folks either something small for under the tree, or something from a port.

To jgskes, there are a lot of ship board activities for the kids, and I know they do like arts and crafts. That would be the perfect opportunity for your kids to craft each other a gift. Just bring some wrap and tape with you and they can wrap their gifts to each other. But also if you can, I would get each one one small thing. It's not the cost of the items either. I think they would just be excited opening something on christmas morning, even if it's just a new matchbox car, a new action figure, or new barbie or if possible, do, a small gift from a port to remind them of the entire cruise like a snow globe or wood figurine. Just remember the wrapping paper.

We did a cruise on Disney many years ago with our two boys. We packed our small gifts and candy (and, I think, stockings) among our clothes in our suitcases. We put our presents out at night and we made sure we left our balcony door open at night. Santa came to our room after the boys were asleep and left stuff all over the room. He even left some stuff on the balcony, including a bottle of Baileys for mom and dad.

I cruised last year over Christmas and put some all gifts in my luggage with bags. The bags fold flat and no need for tape and scissors.

If you have bigger gifts just bring pictures and wrap those up so the kids know what they have waiting for them at home

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I too will be on the splendor for Christmas. About a month ago, I went to hobby lobby, they had a 50% off sale on all christmas items. Watch and you can find the sales. I bought a tree, 2 sets of bulbs (like 20), a tree topper, some mini lights (real, lit by battery), and even a skirt. All for $20. This is our first year of not really doing Christmas and opting for the cruise instead, but I'm still doing a little bit. It's just my parents and me. We're also going to do the steakhouse for a Christmas eve dinner.

As far as gifts, I am someone who shops year round for christmas... I look for deals and stick stuff back. Guess my stuff will be stuck back for another year but I decided to get my folks either something small for under the tree, or something from a port.

To jgskes, there are a lot of ship board activities for the kids, and I know they do like arts and crafts. That would be the perfect opportunity for your kids to craft each other a gift. Just bring some wrap and tape with you and they can wrap their gifts to each other. But also if you can, I would get each one one small thing. It's not the cost of the items either. I think they would just be excited opening something on christmas morning, even if it's just a new matchbox car, a new action figure, or new barbie or if possible, do, a small gift from a port to remind them of the entire cruise like a snow globe or wood figurine. Just remember the wrapping paper.

Thank you so much...and to all of you. My kids are older(23(not coming as he is doing an internship at Disney, 21, 17 and 14) so little things are not so easy...maybe gift cards. I lost my job and this is my last week (a contract that ended for over 100 of us that we have had for 13 years). It is a bit hard to get a new one at this time of year..but working on it:) I definitely know that the memories will last a lifetime. I may look for a small tree for one of the rooms...just don't want extra luggage.

I know all of you and all of us will have a wonderful time. I will be on Vista and very excited to see the new ship. So far...Breeze is my favorite.

Thanks for the great ideas! I think Santa will bring some stuff at home and I will pick up some small items for the cruise. Bringing gift bags is a good idea. I'm hoping the memories we will make will outlast anything we could buy!

I think you have the right attitude! DH and I decided several years ago that we would stop exchanging gifts with one another at Christmas and put the money toward vacations. We stopped doing that the past few years and I honestly can NOT remember what we exchanged last year or the year before. This year the two of us are getting away together for our first cruise without the kids and will arrive home on the evening of the 23rd. My goal is to have our kids' Christmas stuff squared away by December 1st. We keep it pretty simple.

I think you might want to check Carni als new room decoration policy...not sure the lights are allowed and everything must be flame retardant...

We did a few years ago. What we did was go to dollar tree a picked up a magnet Christmas tree and put our gifts under the tree since we could apply it to the wall.

My mother thought it was a good idea to open our gifts in our swim suits and we agreed with her cause we did not want an unhappy mom. It was fun.

We also limit the amount money for the gifts to 20 dollars. We didn't want to drag all our gifts on and off the ship.

I think this year we are going to wrap pictures of the gifts since suitcase space is golden now days and give the real gifts when we get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you might want to check Carni als new room decoration policy...not sure the lights are allowed and everything must be flame retardant...

I wouldn't worry too much about it... everything is flame retardant and as for the lights, they are small battery operated LEDs that generate no heat. Doubt we will have a prblem, but again, I bought all that (less than 3 lbs in my bag) for $20 so if anything did get confiscated, it's not the end of the world for us.