New to Cunard 2017 on QE

We are considering the Queen Elizabeth July 3 cruise around the British Isles in competition with Caribbean Princess similar cruise. Traveling with our 12 year old granddaughter. Anyone have previous experience regarding likelihood of other children on board, size of balcony cabins for the 3 of us (would book a mini-suite balcony on Princess). Is food quality significantly better on Cunard? Seems the anchor location in Newhaven is closer to Edinburgh than the Princess dock in South Queensferry. Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated!

It will be term time over here, there may not be that many children on board, as you are fined if you take children out of school. On our cruise on QE earlier this month we only saw 2 toddlers. If you go for Cunard, try and book a Princess Grill suite, we had one and it was fine with great food and service.

We were in Edinburgh in the spring, and the highlight was visiting the Royal Yacht Britannia, which is moored permanent at Leith, very close to Newhaven.

Heya,

I recently returned from my first Cunard cruise, didn't see many children or people my age at all (I'm 22). All in all I found the experience to be really quiet and umm.. relaxing! I wrote a post about it here which may help you http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/05/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard/ I travelled in the summer holidays but still didn't see many children.

I also did a Cunard food review so if you want to look at lots of pictures of food here you go :) http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/27/cunard-food-review-including-the-fanciest-egg-on-toast-in-the-world/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Scottish and Northern Irish children will be on holiday- we break up at the end of June.

Newhaven is much closer to Edinburgh city centre than S Queensferry- you can catch the local bus.

And you've a reasonable chance of good weather at that time. Plus no midges. Result. Although we'll be on QV en route for the Med at that point. :-)

I see you stop in Kirkwall. You'll love the historic sites - try to get to Maes Howe, Ring of Brogar, and Skara Brae if there's a tour. Fascinating. But I'm biased, I used to look after them when I worked for Historic Scotland.

Edited by TheArchitect

I see you stop in Kirkwall. You'll love the historic sites - try to get to Maes Howe, Ring of Brogar, and Skara Brae if there's a tour. Fascinating. But I'm biased, I used to look after them when I worked for Historic Scotland.

We did this last year and agree it's a great tour, in spite of the driving rain and howling winds !!!

Credit to the tour guide for getting through it. If I'd been him I would have suggested that we skip the tour and go to the pub.

Regarding food , I think Cunard has the edge but we have been very happy with that on Princess . The balconies on QE are a good size and this would not sway my choice which would depend more on other factors .

Cunard has a more formal atmosphere and a stricter evening dress code . It also only has fixed dining times in the main Britannia restaurant ( 6.00 and 8.30 pm ) Princess offers any-time-dining as an option to fixed dining .

I suspect that there would be more children on Princess . For adults on sea days , Cunard's talks and lectures are much better .

If you like dancing QE has a much bigger and better dance floor .

To sum up , do a little more research if both itineraries are almost the same ,

it depends very much on what your tastes are .