Asking for advice for my mom

FireboltAg

Howdy folks, first time poster here so please forgive me if this is not the place for this.

So I'm taking my mom on a 7 day cruise on the Breeze, out of Galveston on November 13. It a near-whole family cruise: her and my dad, two of my brothers, and a SIL with a couple nephews sprinkled in there.

Here's the problem: My mom has severe rheumatoid arthritis that is pretty debilitating at times. So I'm trying to figure out how best to make this a relaxing experience for her.

If you guys wouldn't mind me posing a couple questions:

1) How is wheelchair accessibility throughout the ship? She can walk, but a ton of walking will cost her dearly in pain. so I was thinking of purchasing a wheelchair to help get her around the ship. Are there chairs for rent on the ship?

2) Is the 7 day pass for the Cloud 9 worth it? I am interested in getting her into that salt-water pool. I know there are hot tubs everywhere but the idea of a bit more of a secluded place where she can avoid a ton of people pushing there way around the hot tub would be nice. What else is included that may be of benefit to her arthritis? Is Cloud 9 crowded too?

Honestly, I'm hoping just getting her in the sun and off her feet will allow her to start feeling better. I know I don't have too many more years left with her and I want to spoil her rotten. Hoping to take to to Europe next.

Any advice is appreciated!

I have had cloud 9 access on several of my cruises and I love it. I would think that for your mom it would be totally worth it ! The pool is amazing and the heated lounges are very relaxing. I have never felt crowded in the spa.

I have read about people renting chairs and scooters from places that deliver to the ship for you. I don't think carnival rents them, but maybe you can find a place in Galveston who provides this service. I know that they exist in Florida for sure ! https://www.scootaround.com/cruise-rentals/cruise-lines

Have a wonderful cruise with your family :)

Edited by Athankfulheart

You can buy a transport chair from any department store for under $100.00. These are smaller than wheelchairs because they don't have the wheels on the sides of the chair like traditional wheelchairs do. The transport chair works perfect for my Mom when we take her on trips.

Call Special Needs at Sea, and you can rent a wheel chair, for about 100$ for a 7 day cruise. It will be in your cabin, when you get there, and you leave it in the cabin when you leave. Then call special needs and she can get a wheel chair assist to get aboard, and off, of course.

Very simple and worry free. Search for the number here, since I don't remember it right now..

Hope you all have a wonderful time.

I'm sailing with my mother in December and she too has problems walking long distances. I contacted Carnival at specialsneeds@carnival.com. They have wheelchairs available at the port at a first come first serve basis. They will mark on your reservation your request for assistance. If you need a wheelchair for the duration of the cruise, they will give you a link to a vendor to reserve.

1) How is wheelchair accessibility throughout the ship? She can walk, but a ton of walking will cost her dearly in pain. so I was thinking of purchasing a wheelchair to help get her around the ship. Are there chairs for rent on the ship?

Pretty much EVERYTHING is wheel chair accessible. Carnival has done a great job designing ships that really are inclusive for everyone. There are some high lips in places, but there are often ramps and the such available too

2) Is the 7 day pass for the Cloud 9 worth it? I am interested in getting her into that salt-water pool. I know there are hot tubs everywhere but the idea of a bit more of a secluded place where she can avoid a ton of people pushing there way around the hot tub would be nice. What else is included that may be of benefit to her arthritis? Is Cloud 9 crowded too?

I have done the pass for the spa on HAL, not CCL, but if my experience there is any indication (since they're the same parent company) I thought it was worthwhile, with my only issue a ship-specific one, so irrelevant to your questions

Honestly, I'm hoping just getting her in the sun and off her feet will allow her to start feeling better. I know I don't have too many more years left with her and I want to spoil her rotten. Hoping to take to to Europe next.

You're wonderful for doing this for your mom. With careful planning there is no reason you guys can't have a wonderful time with this, and can't have a wonderful time in Europe. I just took my daughter there for the first time this summer, and while I would say there are definitely some limitations (such as getting to the top of the Arc de Triomphe) with a wheelchair, there was a fair amount that was accessible.

Hope you guys have a blast!

I'm sailing with my mother in December and she too has problems walking long distances. I contacted Carnival at specialsneeds@carnival.com. They have wheelchairs available at the port at a first come first serve basis. They will mark on your reservation your request for assistance. If you need a wheelchair for the duration of the cruise, they will give you a link to a vendor to reserve.

My husband needs the assistance for embarkation and disembarkation. As soon as you drop your bags find a Carnival employee (regular employee - not a baggage handler) and tell them you're on the list for wheelchair assistance. They'll take it from there :) They'll take she and someone she's traveling with to her cabin where her rented chair will await her.

Howdy folks, first time poster here so please forgive me if this is not the place for this.

Is the 7 day pass for the Cloud 9 worth it? I am interested in getting her into that salt-water pool. I know there are hot tubs everywhere but the idea of a bit more of a secluded place where she can avoid a ton of people pushing there way around the hot tub would be nice. What else is included that may be of benefit to her arthritis? Is Cloud 9 crowded too?

We had Cloud 9 Spa access on our last cruise on the Breeze. I found the facilities very nice, and I really liked the hot rock loungers and steam rooms.

The Thalasso therapy pool is a mineral pool, not salt water. I found it really relaxing, and it was never crowded. There are steps up to the platform for the pool, while I don't remember the exact number it seems to me it was 6 or 7, and there are 2 steps up in to, and out of, the pool itself. There are handrails, so as long as she can maneuver a short flight of stairs she should be able to access it fine.

The rooms with hot rock chairs and loungers might be nice for her condition, but I say that only knowing that the rooms are relaxing and help relieve my joint stiffness.

All of these facilities are a very short walk from the ladies locker room on in the spa area.

Enjoy your cruise with your mom!

So I'm taking my mom on a 7 day cruise on the Breeze, out of Galveston on November 13. It a near-whole family cruise: her and my dad, two of my brothers, and a SIL with a couple nephews sprinkled in there.

Here's the problem: My mom has severe rheumatoid arthritis that is pretty debilitating at times. So I'm trying to figure out how best to make this a relaxing experience for her.

You are basically describing me! I travel with my own scooter and I purchased a wheelchair from Overstock.com for $100 that I take and use on shore excursions where I can't take my scooter. A wheelchair is much more comfortable and easier to push than a transport chair so look into that - I was able to buy one for less than the rental fee for the week and it has now been used by a number of friends for their travels as well.

I discovered the Cloud 9 Spa on my first Carnival cruise and have bought a spa pass or reserved a spa room every chance I have had since then. The pool is wonderful, the stairs are a pain but so worth the effort and the therapy rooms and loungers make my cruise!! Do IT for your mother.

Edited by isaiahsnana
additional information