Interesting change to last minute upgrades

Medtech2

I don't know if this has been brought up as I am on here sporadically any more.

It used to be that you could call a week out and snag a free upgrade to a better cabin. We all know with the new leadership that is a thing of the past but I just called to see about a paid upgrade and learned that I would lose my original promos and get the promos in existence now, with the new price.

In my case NOT a good deal as I would be paying $500 MORE to go from OV to BA and lose one of my promos. I have 3rd and 4th free, UBP, UDP. Now she said I would only get 2 of those. I mentioned that it used to be after final payment you kept your original booking and promos and just changed cabins but she said this has recently changed....

Our promos did change to the current ones when we upgraded last weekend due to price drops.

Originally when we booked March 2016 for our February 2017 cruise we had 4 nights of Specialty Dining; UBP, 250 minutes of internet and $50/port for Shore Excursions. With our upgrade it was a minimal fee but we were changed to 3 nights of dining, UBP, 250 minutes of internet and free gratuities. There may have been free friends and family too - but it wouldn't apply to us for this sailing so I'm not sure.

We would never have used the shore excursion credits and losing one night of dining was no big deal because we will have the Haven restaurant. So for us it was a no brainier to change.

BUT.....one other recent change I've noticed is OBC for price drops after final payment.

The cabin we had originally had a $200 price drop according to the fish alert site. So I inquired about a credit and we received $30 OBC. He tried his best to explain to me why it was only $30when the current price was down $200 - but I never did understand. He kept saying something about "half of the difference". Maybe someone here knows more about those current rules too!

We rarely have price drops or consider upgrades once booked - so I know I'm not as up to date on the details as others may be! ;)

Our promos did change to the current ones when we upgraded last weekend due to price drops.

Originally when we booked March 2016 for our February 2017 cruise we had 4 nights of Specialty Dining; UBP, 250 minutes of internet and $50/port for Shore Excursions. With our upgrade it was a minimal fee but we were changed to 3 nights of dining, UBP, 250 minutes of internet and free gratuities. There may have been free friends and family too - but it wouldn't apply to us for this sailing so I'm not sure.

We would never have used the shore excursion credits and losing one night of dining was no big deal because we will have the Haven restaurant. So for us it was a no brainier to change.

BUT.....one other recent change I've noticed is OBC for price drops after final payment.

The cabin we had originally had a $200 price drop according to the fish alert site. So I inquired about a credit and we received $30 OBC. He tried his best to explain to me why it was only $30when the current price was down $200 - but I never did understand. He kept saying something about "half of the difference". Maybe someone here knows more about those current rules too!

We rarely have price drops or consider upgrades once booked - so I know I'm not as up to date on the details as others may be! ;)

No price drops that I can see for ours because it is pretty much sold out. And what is strange is the the rep quoted me $1049/person for a balcony while on line it only gives you a guarantee for $649, but that is for a new booking. We sail Sunday....

The total price of the cruise accounts for everything that is included. Nothing is 'free', you are just given the option of what perk you want though the cost is already factored into the fare. It makes business sense for them to look at the total package because there is a cost for everything.

A fare posted today may be cheaper than six months ago solely because a perk was eliminated, it my rise if one is added.

Edited by ray98

No price drops that I can see for ours because it is pretty much sold out. And what is strange is the the rep quoted me $1049/person for a balcony while on line it only gives you a guarantee for $649, but that is for a new booking. We sail Sunday....

Awesome....enjoy!!! :) :D

I don't know if this has been brought up as I am on here sporadically any more.

It used to be that you could call a week out and snag a free upgrade to a better cabin. We all know with the new leadership that is a thing of the past but I just called to see about a paid upgrade and learned that I would lose my original promos and get the promos in existence now, with the new price.

In my case NOT a good deal as I would be paying $500 MORE to go from OV to BA and lose one of my promos. I have 3rd and 4th free, UBP, UDP. Now she said I would only get 2 of those. I mentioned that it used to be after final payment you kept your original booking and promos and just changed cabins but she said this has recently changed....

Upgrade or upsell...this is an important difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just booked on Sunday and I asked about this. Booked a OV but advised the agent that I am hoping to be able to upgrade to a Balcony if there is a drop in price. I specifically asked if we "upgraded" to a Balcony prior to the cruise date would we be able to keep our free style perks (UBP and prepaid DSC). She said "yes for an upgrade, no if you cancel and rebook the same cabin for a price drop prior to final payment date".

I just booked on Sunday and I asked about this. Booked a OV but advised the agent that I am hoping to be able to upgrade to a Balcony if there is a drop in price. I specifically asked if we "upgraded" to a Balcony prior to the cruise date would we be able to keep our free style perks (UBP and prepaid DSC). She said "yes for an upgrade, no if you cancel and rebook the same cabin for a price drop prior to final payment date".

When is your cruise?? I'm curious if has anything to do with how close you are to cruising??

We also told our PCC when we booked that we'd be interested in upgrading - if our cabin of interest had big enough price drops.

But your explanation was not the case when we "upgraded" on Saturday for our cruise in February 2017 . We paid a minimal fee for the upgraded cabin - due to price drops, but the perks were different from when we originally booked in March 2016 and we were given no choice but to convert to the current perks.

I'm confused and still trying to figure out all the details of one deal over another. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by happy cruzin

When is your cruise?? I'm curious if has anything to do with how close you are to cruising??

We also told our PCC when we booked that we'd be interested in upgrading - if our cabin of interest had big enough price drops.

But your explanation was not the case when we "upgraded" on Saturday for our cruise in February 2017 . We paid a minimal fee for the upgraded cabin - due to price drops, but the perks were different from when we originally booked in March 2016 and we were given no choice but to convert to the current perks.

I'm confused and still trying to figure out all the details of one deal over another. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise is in August.

Originally when we booked March 2016 for our February 2017 cruise ...

Of course the promos changed as no February cruise was yet past final payment last weekend - that's how you have always have had price drops and upgrades handled before cancellation period has started - current price, current promos.

OP's post is about change in policy of after final payment policies - previously we too have upgraded on couple of occasions very close to the cruise date after post final payment price drops and kept all original perks.

Edited by Demonyte

Of course the promos changed as no February cruise was yet past final payment last weekend - that's how you have always have had price drops and upgrades handled before cancellation period has started - current price, current promos.

OP's post is about change in policy of after final payment policies - previously we too have upgraded on couple of occasions very close to the cruise date after post final payment price drops and kept all original perks.

Not true! We were past final payment - our cabins (original and upgraded) are in the Haven and final payment was due on or before October 7th.

So....the upgrade we completed on Saturday WAS after final payment and a situation similar to the OP's post.

Not true! We were past final payment - our cabins (original and upgraded) are in the Haven and final payment was due on or before October 7th.

So....the upgrade we completed on Saturday WAS after final payment and a situation similar to the OP's post.

While writing my post I realized that final payment for Haven had already passed, but made the mistake to assume that anybody upgrading would have booked a regular cabin. Sorry. :)