private islands

m steve

• 2 weeks later...

We've been to Half Moon Cay (HAL), Princess Cays and Labadee (RCCL and Celebrity). Like wishonastar said, they are similar and each have pros and cons. Like you said, food and drinks are about the same at all. We really liked all three....the water was a bit chilly at HMC and PC in early winter. HMC has the softest powderiest sand I've ever seen. Labadee had several smaller beaches and was the largest area (actually the tip of a penninsula). The other two each basically had one very long beach. I'd be happy to try and answer any questions if I can. The private island days are always one of my favorites.

• 7 months later...

Years ago on our very first cruise we went to The Big Red Boat's "private" island. Loved it! But don't remember where it was? Anyone know where I was? There were lots of hammocks and a Lagoon.

• 3 weeks later...
Years ago on our very first cruise we went to The Big Red Boat's "private" island. Loved it! But don't remember where it was? Anyone know where I was? There were lots of hammocks and a Lagoon.

Are you thinking of "Salt Cay"? On my first ever cruise on Premier Cruise Line (pre Disney Cruiseline) we stopped there. It is in the Bahamas. Nice island. I had heard that this island is where they filmed Gilligan's Island.

Oh, the ship we were on was called the Oceanic. This was in 1985 or 1986.

Is this ringing any bells? Anyway, thanks for triggering a trip down memory lane for me. :)

My favorite days are private island days...well except for Princess Cay - not crazy about that one.

I have been to Hal's Half Moon Cay and NCL 's Stirrup Cay.

HMC is a nicer island.

Stirrup Cay - no contest for snorkeling. It is fabulous right off the beach.

HMC - lousy snorkeling.

HMC is changing. As far as the beach goes, they now have it cluttered up with those clam shells. It was much nicer when they had FREE umbrellas.

HMC has added horse back riding and wave runners. Neither is near the beach which is a good thing.

Food is about the same on both islands but HMC has a much nicer area to sit and eat. HMC also has a bar right off the beach.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Great Stirrup Cay and CocoCay (Little Stirrup Cay right next door)

Hands down Great Stirrup Cay is the much better of the 2 if you like water sports. It has better snorkeling -- Especially if you like deep water reefs.

Little stirrup cay sucked when I was there last but I am seeing that RCCL has invested 20 mil into refurbishing everything so I am assuming it will be much better this time around (if we make the stop that is :)

We've been to Princess Cays and CocoCay. CocoCay has better swimming conditions and areas. Both offered really good BBQ lunches. Both had plenty of seating and activities, but we liked the more spread out chair areas on CocoCay. On a beautiful, sunny, hot day either place is good fun.

Archived