Priority Disembarkation Request

MarkBearSF

We're doing a RT crossing in May from NY and have a 12:45 flight out of JFK.

This should be eminently do-able as long as we're able to disembark by 8:30 or so. For a 3 week vacation (including 16 nights aboard), we'll have too much baggage to use the self-assisted option.

As long as our luggage is available, it should be no problem - especially since we're CWC Platinum and I expect we'll be using the departure lounge in the Veranda.

Has anyone here asked that a request for early disembarkation be put on the guest booking? I'm certain that the actual distribution of the priority tags will take place near the end of the voyage, and I fully expect to be visiting the Purser's Desk on the penultimate morning requesting them, but it would be nice to at least have a record of the request on file.

I can't speak with certainty about New York, but at other ports, even when being priority disembarkation Grills passengers we've sometimes, albeit rarely, not been off until after 9am due to on-shore or other issues preventing either the gang plank or the luggage hall being opened promptly. My once only experience of New York immigration (at Manhattan, not Red Hook) would barely have had us on a flight that day, let alone by lunchtime; but if you are a US citizen things may be a little smoother. That's unless they are on threat level "disastrous - oh - my - gawd - the - crazies - are- back - for another - go - red - red - really - really - red" level once again in which case your guess is as good as mine.

Self disembarkation is the only reasonably sure way to get off at your desired time.

As for making a special request, well we're all important in our own way with places to go, people to see and I wouldn't make a bet on being successful. Not unless you were responding to a sudden emergency that occurred after your voyage had started.

I'm not sure if Platinum members get priority disembarkation (I suspect so), but if not you'll be in order the same as everyone else. That of course, wouldn't prevent you from hanging around by the exit, getting your elbows out and trying to buck the system as so many already do. Sometimes it works, sometimes I've seen people politely turned away.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

On our last few arrivals in Red Hook, we've dawdled at the disembarkation lounge rather than deal with crowds, both in the terminal and on the roads going home. I hope I'm not confusing HAL's system with Cunard's, but I believe the Diamond and Grills priority disembarkation means you get a tag that is called early and you may leave when you wish at any time after that tag is called. I think our number has been called around 8:30 or a bit sooner. We just glance at our watches and have another cup of coffee.

According to the WC page, Diamond gets priority disembarkation, Platinum does not. I don't think the booking system has any way to take a request for disembarking info. Best bet is to ask on board and see if they'll put you on the list with the diamonds and grills.

Another option would be to buy a Cunard transfer. Those buses get called pretty early.

On our last few arrivals in Red Hook, we've dawdled at the disembarkation lounge rather than deal with crowds, both in the terminal and on the roads going home. I hope I'm not confusing HAL's system with Cunard's, but I believe the Diamond and Grills priority disembarkation means you get a tag that is called early and you may leave when you wish at any time after that tag is called. I think our number has been called around 8:30 or a bit sooner. We just glance at our watches and have another cup of coffee.

According to the WC page, Diamond gets priority disembarkation, Platinum does not. I don't think the booking system has any way to take a request for disembarking info. Best bet is to ask on board and see if they'll put you on the list with the diamonds and grills.

Another option would be to buy a Cunard transfer. Those buses get called pretty early.

That's been our experience as well. However, in previous trips, we spent time in NY post-cruise, so we were basically killing time before afternoon hotel check-in. You're correct that Platinum doesn't automatically get priority disembarkation, but it's been my understanding that the early luggage tags are available of you have an early flight or some other good excuse. (An earlier poster on a related thread mentioned that the Purser staff said that they're freely available upon request, but not publicized to avoid unnecessary crowding)

Since we left late on our previous crossings, our experience was not perhaps illustrative, but it seemed that they really didn't check your group at the gangway, and we could leave the lounge at any time we wanted.

As for the booking record, I'd ask my TA to have it added as a note when I arrange my final payment.

Mark

One way to get early disembarkation, other than self-help, is to book a Cunard transfer to the airport. The cost was US$40 pp. On my recent arrival at Red Hook, the transfer to JFK was called at 8:25.

Other than the Cunard transfers, there was priority for Diamond members and, as usual, the Grills then Deck 13 down to Deck 4 with the last call being 11:15 - at least in theory.

Y'know, doing a Cunard shuttle might be the best solution.

On previous trips, we were heading to NY and the shuttle was more expensive and less convenient than a hired car. However, in this situation, it makes sense. (Oh, I also double-checked and it's a 12:15 departure. But with priority security at JFK we should have more than enough time - even if there is a delay on arrival for the QM2)

Edited by MarkBearSF