Tanning Bed Question

tarheelmjfan

You may have read my post on self tanner. I think I may have found another solution. I called a local tanning salon, & they have a bed that doesn't use UV rays at all. She said you stay in the bed for 12 min., which is also the max. time for this bed. You are guaranteed not to burn. It is pricey at 3 sessions for $95. Does anyone know anything about the type of bed I am attempting to describe? Can I get a decent base tan in 3 sessions with this bed? The lady at the salon said I should get a better tan in these 3 sessions, than I would in 10 visits in the normal beds. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

You may have read my post on self tanner. I think I may have found another solution. I called a local tanning salon, & they have a bed that doesn't use UV rays at all. She said you stay in the bed for 12 min., which is also the max. time for this bed. You are guaranteed not to burn. It is pricey at 3 sessions for $95. Does anyone know anything about the type of bed I am attempting to describe? Can I get a decent base tan in 3 sessions with this bed? The lady at the salon said I should get a better tan in these 3 sessions, than I would in 10 visits in the normal beds. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

I have a question regarding the no UV.. how is your skin then able to accept the actual UV rays from the Sun??:confused: (besides sunscreen)

I am very very fair and I have planned to start tanning session next month.. for 3 months in order to have my skin ready for the sun..

I am also curious to here some answers from someone or some people who have tried this and the results..

The beds I use are non UV. I do tan well even though I have auburn hair and freckles (thanks to a little bit of Comanche blood mixed in), and I do get a pretty good base tan in a few sessions.

However, I have gotten a little too red the first couple of times before the base is built up.

I would highly suggest you take it slowly, and moisturize A LOT post-tanning bed use. Everyone reacts differently to tanning beds, non UV included.

Remember...a tan is actually your skin responding to sun damage, so in order to get any color there has to be *some* damage to your skin..so there is always the chance of getting burned.

Best wishes,

~e

I have used one of these beds once before my wedding. I really liked it. It definintly gives you more of a browner tan rather than getting red. I would am going to use it again before my cruise and will never go back to the old bed again. One other thing you can consider is Mystic Tan (a machine at the tanning salon sprays it on you). They offer it pretty ceap around here now. My sister burns pretty easily and she used it and it really helped before she went to the beach. I would try it out before hand though. Some places are better than others. When my sister got it done it looked really good everyone was even complementing who get her tan was. Just make sure you exfoliate really well before.

You may have read my post on self tanner. I think I may have found another solution. I called a local tanning salon, & they have a bed that doesn't use UV rays at all. :)

Are you sure!! Unless this is some kind of dye as in a self tanner someone is lying. :eek: As mrsred said, skin damage causes tans. Aside from conditions that change pigmentation or some drugs or liver disease (jaundice) the ONLY thing that causes a tan is UV. Get the fine print and read it. Tans are caused by UV stimulation of the skin which releases melanin and hence a tan. No UN - No tan. Sounds like pure hype.

With tanning beds, you can lay in a UVA or a UVB bed. One is called a reddening bed and you will burn. The other one is called a bronzing bed which will actually darken your already produced melanin. You need to start going to the reddening bed so that you can build up your melanin production. The bronzing bed gives you that golden brown color that you want.

With tanning beds, you can lay in a UVA or a UVB bed. One is called a reddening bed and you will burn. The other one is called a bronzing bed which will actually darken your already produced melanin. You need to start going to the reddening bed so that you can build up your melanin production. The bronzing bed gives you that golden brown color that you want.

Thanks for the info. :) The lady at the salon told me I would be able to tan in the new bed even though I have fair skin. I don't have time to use the other beds first. I guess I'll just have to wait & see. If not, lesson learned. I'll keep my $95 the next time. :p

The bronzing bed does give you a great look, but does nothing to prepare your skin for real sun exposure. If your trying to get a tan to avoid burning, the bronzing bed won't help. If you simply want to look tan and plan to apply generous amounts of sun screen, you are making the right choice.

Good Luck and let us know how you like it.

The bronzing bed does give you a great look, but does nothing to prepare your skin for real sun exposure. If your trying to get a tan to avoid burning, the bronzing bed won't help. If you simply want to look tan and plan to apply generous amounts of sun screen, you are making the right choice.

Good Luck and let us know how you like it.

Thanks for the info. :) I have no problem with taking a bath in sunblock. I do it all the time. ;) I just really don't want to glow in the dark, like I do now. :p I'll be sure to let everyone know what I think about it.

Please folks don't buy the hype that there is such a thing as "safe" UV. Both cause skin damage. The UV the tanning bed promoters are currently hyping have a higher correlation with melanoma than the older ones. Just ask your dermatologist. My wife's dermatologist says that the fashion need to have a base tan is the best thing for his business there is. He jokes that every new tanning salon is just a new car for him. Always plenty of precancerous spots to burn off. He just bought a new hi-tech laser just for that.

Hello Everyone! I own a tanning salon and I have one of the bronzing beds. There is no such thing as a tanning bed that does not have UV rays. The only way you can tan without UV rays is sunless lotion or spray on tans. The bed that you are wondering about has a filter that significantly reduces the amount of UVB that comes through to your skin. My bed only allows 1% UVB. However, there are still UVA rays. The difference in the two? UVB is a shorter more intense ray than UVA so it is harsher to the skin. Therefore, UVB rays are the rays that cause sunburn. UVA rays are longer more gentle rays and they are not as harsh to the skin so you do not burn. However, you need both to tan. UVB stimulates the skin to produce melanosomes. UVA's main role in the tanning process is to turn the melanin that you skin has made brown. My recommendation as a salon owner is to not wait until the last minute to tan. You should start 4 weeks in advance of your trip (if you can go in to tan 3 times per week). If it will be less often start 7-8 weeks in advance. The closer you get to the equator the more intense the sun is so I always recommend that my clients still use sunscreen. You don't need anything more than an SPF 15 and reapply it every 4 hours. Take it easy and start off at lower times if you are not tan or fair skinned. I have red hair, freckles and I am naturally very fair and I have not had a sunburn since I started this business 5 years ago. Responsibility, moderation and education are key.:)

By the way 17 out of the 21 studies ever conducted on melanoma have shown no association between tanning and melanoma. And it occurs more often in indoor workers than it does in outdoor workers. Melanoma is most common in fair-skinned people with a family history of melanoma.

Archived