Med cruise in May

pdw26

I am looking to book a Mediterranian cruise next May and have found two good deals. Both have similar itineraries. One is on Norwegian Star and the other on Celebrity Reflection. Does anyone have experience of these ships that couold help me decide? DH and I went on the inaugural sailing of Norwegian Escape but we didn't really get on with the party atmosphere on board and the size of the ship. We are in our early 60s and will not be using water parks or climbing walls! We have sailed with (and enjoyed) P&O, Cunard and HAL and tend to enjoy the smaller ship experience, but always keen to try something different.

The Reflection is a bigger ship at 3600 passengers vs the Star with 2300 passengers. Reflection is also about 10 years younger than the Star. I don't think either ship has the water parks and rock climbing walls.

I would look at port times and other ships in port for each itinerary. For example if the itinerary has a stop in Santorini, the ship port times and other ships port times will have a big impact on your day. Arrival at the same time with 10k other cruise ship passengers is a nightmare. If the star arrives in port at 2 pm and all the other ships are there from 8-4 it's not an issue because the masses are leaving when you are arriving. 10k + passengers trying to get down a donkey trail or 4+ hours in line for a cable car is the reality if your ship arrives and departs with a few other ships with 2-4K passenger capacity.

For us it was more about the enjoyment of the ports vs the ship. I haven't sailed the Star but have sailed the Jade med a few times and throughly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. Our May and September/October sailings had an average age range of 50+. I think summers in the med will have many more children and families on both lines.

The Star has replaced the Jade med sailings for next year. I ultimately picked the Jade over the Celebrity this year due to port times and itinerary and was very happy. But the Reflection no doubt is a newer and bigger ship than the Star.

Add: less important but still worth factoring. Look at the perk inclusions when comparing costs. For example if the beverage package perk is important to you the Celebrity beverage package is far superior. celebrity beverage package includes bottled water, canned soda, speciality coffee and if chosen as a perk it also includes the package gratuity. The NCL beverage package includes alcohol and soda from a gun. It does not include water bottles, canned soda, speciality coffee. Those items are also not allowed to be carried onboard and cost dearly if you purchase on the ship. NCL strictly enforced the no water bottles brought back to the ship upon embarking in every port.

Edited by littlelulu01

I would look at port times and other ships in port for each itinerary.

Add: less important but still worth factoring. Look at the perk inclusions when comparing costs. For example if the beverage package is important to you.

Very helpful points thank you. I will look at the port times and other ships.

Good point also about the drinks package. DH is teatotal so if good sodas and mock tails are not included then the NCL package does not look too good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very helpful points thank you. I will look at the port times and other ships.

Good point also about the drinks package. DH is teatotal so if good sodas and mock tails are not included then the NCL package does not look too good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mocktails and Pepsi fountain products are included in NCL ultimate beverage package. The fees on the package are $28.44 for two people each day so probably not worth taking the, "free" perk unless both people drink alcohol. NCL has a soda package that includes fountain Pepsi products for $8.95/day. They also have water packages. I think it's around $6 per bottle of water and price comes down the bigger the amount of water you wish to purchase. Cans of soda around $3.30. I think celebrity offers a non alcoholic beverage package for much less and includes quite a bit more. Also if the celebrity beverage package is included as a perk there's no extra fees so it's worth it to take just for the bottles of water, canned soda and specialty coffees. Probably not a deal breaker but the perk values are something to consider