Say it ain't so - Another TS

Clearwater

I don't think the SW Caribbean includes DR, I could be wrong. If I were the people going to Cancun, Roatan, etc. I would be worried. But if it does become a storm they will probably get a better itinerary.

Here are the possibilities as I see it (and we are leaving Saturday same itinerary).

1) Tropical storm develops, and moves to the West (2 out of 4 models) - not likely to impact us.

2) Tropical storm develops and stays in Southwest Caribbean (1 out of 4 models) - maybe our DR stop is impacted by heavy rain, or skipped altogether, or replaced.

3) Tropical storm develops and moves toward DR (1 out of 4 models) - depending on how soon this happens, we either end up having a Bahamas cruise if it develops early, or if it develops late we get to St. Thomas and they have to put us on a plane back because the storm is now blocking our path back up to FL.

My biggest worry is for Grand Turk - projected up to 30 mph winds that day. Will we be able to dock? Every moist tropical region lists rain almost every day of the forecast. In my experience it usually means an afternoon soaker or part cloudiness, but the sun is strong in this region and a part cloudy day is as strong as the sunniest day in the North.

Anyway, the weather forecast this far out usually doesn't hold. It will be an adventure for sure. I am looking at rainy day excursions for each stop just in case, ready to make it a vacation no matter what. It is easy for me, since I am in Florida and get plenty of sun year round. I can see it being difficult for someone in the north.

My biggest worry is for Grand Turk - projected up to 30 mph winds that day. Will we be able to dock?

Yes, probably. The limit is 30-35 knots of steady wind; more than that and they won't attempt docking, since it's a narrow "fairway" into the dock and ships MUST dock facing forward at Grand Turk.

I was there two years ago on Carnival Freedom and a hurricane was receding out into the Atlantic away from us...but it was kicking up some strong winds and 1.5-2 foot waves even at the beach at Margaritaville. (!)

We docked -- barely -- but all the Carnival ocean excursions were cancelled with full refunds. Snorkeling out by the ship off the M'Ville beach was...interesting and challenging that day, but kinda fun for all that. :)

The storm is scheduled to develop Tuesday and we are due in Grand Cayman on Wednesday. I wonder if they will change our course.

It's increasingly unlikely that TS Otto will affect anything that far north. According to the NHC's forecast discussion on Otto, all forecast models are now in agreement that Otto will drift westward into Central America. (For some time, there was major disagreement amongst the models as to where the storm was headed, but it turns out the westward ones were right.)