Seeing San Juan - with mobility issues?

GeorgiaMomof4

My husband and I, along with some friends will be in San Juan in February. He has mobility issues and cannot walk long distances. When we were there before he just got off the ship and really back on because it seemed everything was spread out.

He would really like to see some of it, maybe even go to a fort. He isn't in a wheelchair, but uses a cane and just isn't able to walk a lot or stand a lot.

Any suggestions for us as in maybe a private driver or tour - anything we could do?

Thanks!

They have a free shuttle or "trolley" you can get for free. They have stops for all the forts and OSJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trolley is very popular so you might have to stand in line waiting for it. Its a very pleasant ride and you could just stay on for the whole route and see the sights. If you decide to get off, It will drop you outside the forts but it is still a bit of a walk in. You would have to walk from the gangway along the length of the pier and then in to the first trolley stop or to where all the busses and taxis start from.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also have mobility issues with a cane. I usually review the ship's excursion destination on its port excursion webpage. It describes the walking distance and stair steps, when needed. It also provides some excursions that are wheelchair accessible, though not exclusively. It may be more pricey than an independent tour. But it is more convenient for me to appreciate the port's attractions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I took one of the $10 / one-hour tours, and there was a gentleman who used a scooter. I suppose it varies based on who you get as your guide and what the bus is light, but mine was great! Air-conditioning was wonderful, the tour guide was great. We stopped at the beach, then at a marble government building with the president statues, and at the castle furthest up the hill.

I think the castles may be hard to navigate with mobility issues. Even with a taxi or tram or tour bus, you have to walk a fair bit up the hill to reach the last of the forts, and I imagine all of the forts have a lot of climbing and uneven footing.

The general old town area, however, is probably fine to navigate with cane or scooter. Though it's on a slight hill, so there's that to navigate. Our tour bus stopped a few blocks from (and above) the cruise ships, in the shopping area, to let people who wanted to get off. I'd already explored that area in the morning so I rode it back to the cruise ship terminal.

I have seen many people with mobility issues all around the Old Town and in the fort. If i am not mistaken there is an elevator in the fort, so you could probably see most of it!

I have only used one company to tour in PR, island marketing. They did a great job. Here is a link to their site https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/excursions/

I am sure there are many out there, have read about of few here on this board.

I really didn't like the ones that are hustling you right off the pier.

I tried one of their 1 hour tours (tried to save some money) but was left wanting, then i had a real guide and what i learned was VERY different. I really did not need to know, that all american chains are there or liters versus gallons. I wanted to learn about the history of san Juan.