New to NCL

LindaKE

I just booked a cruise on the Jewel. We have cruised Carnival and Princess, but are new to NCL. What should I expect to see in the way of dress at dinner? I do enjoy dressing up on special nights, so I would like to take at least one formal. Will there be others dressed formally, or would I stand out like a sore thumb?

Any particular tips on differences to expect?

Thanks!

I can't speak specifically to the Jewel, but I just got off the Dream. I have cruised NCL twice before, but this was my first freestyle cruising experience. Dress was extremely casual compared to my past cruises. On formal night, I don't think I saw any full length gowns, most women wore nice dresses, but a lady sitting close to me was wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt, and this was in the Terraces. On regular resort casual nights, I regularly saw jeans and and some shorts in the regular dining rooms with no attempts to enforce policy. Apparently, Freestyle is whatever you want.

I just booked a cruise on the Jewel. We have cruised Carnival and Princess, but are new to NCL. What should I expect to see in the way of dress at dinner? I do enjoy dressing up on special nights, so I would like to take at least one formal. Will there be others dressed formally, or would I stand out like a sore thumb?

Any particular tips on differences to expect?

Thanks!

There were two formal nights in the two main dining rooms during our recent Jewel cruise. We chose to eat in Cagney's and Le Bistro those nights where the dress code is always smart casual. We saw some people dressed to the nine's and others dressed extemely casual around the ship. The "Free-Style" concept gives the guests the freedom to choose when and where they want to eat as well as how they want to dress. We didn't see any jeans in the specialty restaurant. It's a very relaxed atmosphere which we came to enjoy as the cruise progressed. First two days were a period of adjustment for us since it was our first NCL sailing. We had a great time. :)

I've been on four Freestyle cruises and the percentage of those formally dressed has ranged from 25-40%. To the OP: you won't stick out like a sore thumb but don't expect to see the overwhelming majority of pax dressed to the nines.

I have been on the Jewel and will be going on her again in eight days. I can tell you that with Freestyle dining you have many choices to make in where and when you eat. There are two main diningrooms, the Garden Buffet and 7 other specialty restaurants.

I also have been on Carnival and RCCL and I have found the dress at dinner with NCL to be very similar with the exception of the formal night. The formal attire is optional and there are those, myself included, who don't enjoy packing formal wear and wearing it on a cruise. Get enough of that at home. I find a nice dress or skirt and sweater works for me on formal night. My husband wears a shirt and tie on formal night, no jacket. On other nights I wear a pant suit of even capris and a nice blouse. My DH wears slacks and a shirt, no tie. Same attire as I saw on others on Carnival and RCCL.

On the Jewel most people did adhere to the resort casual dress in the evenings. I did see jeans and shorts but only in the buffet.

Archived